User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
vintagewindmc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Beginer flat tracker needs help !!!

Hi guys new to the site (couple weeks) great site by the way, I am looking to build my first flat track bike not sure out of what yet. Ran hare scrambles and motos back in the 70's on my Ossa 250, followed flat tracking most my life a regular at Western Reserve Motorcycle club (Salem oh) for a number of years and I'm ready to get back into MC racing. Got a few questions I hope you guys can help/clear up for me.. First single cycl vs multi cycl. Wich is faster, better , why one over the other ? I see many guys running single 500 600 ect. Then I read a national meet was won by a converted 650 ninja twin ? I am considering converting a MX/dual sport bike to flat track I have a 89 yz125, got a cb350 Honda both candidates, also got a 73 Aw H1 500 triple 2 stroke (aka widow maker) but not sure if its a good candidate or if I want to cut it up. I am doing this all on a budget got to run in the more economical classes. Leaning towards YZ what would I have to do to make it into a flat tracker?
Thanx
Tom .
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
they're still flat tracking at wrmc. i have raced hare scrambles there a few times..most competitve guys are running modern 450 singles.. i would take a close look at the classes and figure out where you want to be. the cheapest is probably the 250 2 stroke vintage class(es)... the big 4 stroke singles are real popular. not a lot of multi cylinder on short track.. check the cra website for classes...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,324
CB350 could make a real heavy and ill handling flattracker,Ive seen a few try and fail,H1 is fine if your superman but dangerous otherwise.

Any 250 2 stroke could be a flattracker with a few mods,good to get started on then build up a 450 if you get serious. Guys build up old XL350's with special frames and end up with nice bikes. Vintage flattrack looks like fun to me,the TT 500's are prolific and can be made real fast.

Just see what guys are running at any nearby tracks and go for it!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
www.americansupercamp.com

There are two spots left for this weekend in Harrington.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 472
Been down this road, buy a good one already setup and running in your price range..or you will spend more $$ buying stuff...not that there is anything wrong with that..(I now have a nice TT540 with a lot of good parts on it)

Nice used bikes can be found here:

http://www.vft.org/vftforsale2.html

NitroAcres screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 10:03 AM
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Cheapest entry would be the mad dog class, or men's 4 stroke. Mostly based on xr100.

Here is so cal, the "bomber" class is popular, and a decent tt500 with budget setup could bea good mid pack bike. As was stated above, look at vft.org in the for sale section, some great deals to be had.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
vintagewindmc OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanx guys thats a lot of help really excited about this. WRMC is having a two day flat track meet this weekend, going to try to make it both days.
I didn't mention it earlier I won't be riding it, as I am in a wheelchair *mc accident) I have six frame up builds/restorations over the last nine years most recently a 1980 suzuki 185 factory racer replica which can be seen in my gallery

http:/ /vintagewindmc.smugmug.com/Sample-Gallery

I have someone in mind however if it doesn't work out I might take it to the first spring practice day and put a :Rider Wanted" sign on it ?
Thanx Again Guys
Tom