Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #871
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I'd rather see the small company that has given a lot to the sport triumph over the big one that just seems to want to throw a lot of money at it for a quick result, and then probably turn its back on us again while it concentrates on it road bikes and boring commuters.
Are you talkin about these guys:

Or these guys?:

Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #872
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,430
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great HRC are giving it a good effort, and KTM are getting more about selling bikes and less about racing (the ugly looking front just so the rallye bike bares a passing resemblance to the current ugly adventure hints at that), I just think of them as part of The Dakar and would prefer to see KTM make HRC work very hard for a place on the podium in January.

I would prefer to see CDP or Pain on the top step though, or a Sherco, or one of the "old" Speedbrain bikes...

I'm still kinda pissed at Speedbrain for switching to Honda when there bike was looking so promising... It did just win a world title after all.
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #873
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great HRC are giving it a good effort, and KTM are getting more about selling bikes and less about racing (the ugly looking front just so the rallye bike bares a passing resemblance to the current ugly adventure hints at that), I just think of them as part of The Dakar and would prefer to see KTM make HRC work very hard for a place on the podium in January.

I would prefer to see CDP or Pain on the top step though, or a Sherco, or one of the "old" Speedbrain bikes...

I'm still kinda pissed at Speedbrain for switching to Honda when there bike was looking so promising... It did just win a world title after all.
HRC really wanted Barreda but Barreda said only if you bring Wolfgang and my mechanics and my physio and my... well you get the picture. Clearly HRC wanted Barreda badly enough to say sure. From Speedbrain's perspective, could Wolfgang really turn down the opportunity to work within the deep pockets and vast engineering resources of Honda? That can only help Speedbrain in the long run and may actually work to the benefit of the current bike.

The reality is though that the current organization with the bike was on borrowed time. The engine was originally developed for the BMW G450X contracted through Kymco. These have been thoroughly massaged by Speedbrain's engineers but there is only a finite supply left. Without a manufacturer backing the team, how far could they really hope to take the current bike.

In the long run, they have a good setup and I hope they continue with the customer arm as they do with Botturi, Chavo, and Israel. It gives a great platform.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #874
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

What I meant by that comment about being pissed off, should have read something like, "I will be slightly pissed if they stop developing there own bike and just become a Honda satellite team." Or words to that effect.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #875
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
What I meant by that comment about being pissed off, should have read something like, "I will be slightly pissed if they stop developing there own bike and just become a Honda satellite team." Or words to that effect.
I know what you mean... I always like the simplicity and sparseness of the Speedbrain G450X/Husky engined bikes - it was just the engine I thought was a hiding to nothing...

Perhaps ultimately, we'll see that chassis (or a derivative of it) with a Honda CRF engine fitted? - Honda have always been happy to sell engines to 3rd parties [in MotoGP and F1 teams] so why should Dakar be any different? Of course I'm sure they would insist on a "Powered by Honda" sticker on the Speedbrain bikes, but that is a small price to pay to have access to the ongoing development of that engine?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #876
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

I hadn't thought about the possibility of them using Honda engines...

I hope it happens.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #877
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678
Honestly I would like to see them team up with one of the other smaller european manufacturers.
If you deal with the big corporates you will always draw the short straw in the end.
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #878
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
HRC really wanted Barreda but Barreda said only if you bring Wolfgang and my mechanics and my physio and my... well you get the picture. Clearly HRC wanted Barreda badly enough to say sure.
I dont think Honda or HRC want Barreda. I think Honda wants to win.

This was a cheap and easy way to increase their chances...

Single make rule coming up soon if Honda stays in..
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #879
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Single make rule coming up soon if Honda stays in..
You mean just like it has been the past 12 years?!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote