Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
strsout OP
Banned Camp

Oddometer: 1,034
Going to Ushuaia, Argentina - Question on Route 40

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Ushuaia this summer (South America Summer) in December.
There is a 'ripio' (some sort of loose gravel) road linking Rio Mayo to El Calefate, named route 40.
I'm will be doing it with 2up, in an old R1100GS, loaded.
Any one did it before? If yes, few questions:

Is there any gas on those 1000 kilometers? the maps I'm seeing here don't show it.

Is there any hotels on those 1000 kilometers?

How bad is that road for a big, heavy bike like GS with 2up?

Tanks
Loma Linda - CA - IBA#14,458 - AMA
strsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 766
plenty of folks have done ruta 40 t up on big bikes. might actually be better considering the wind.

check here for excellent info. i wont vouch for the accuracy, but it's local so it may be kept current.

http://rutanacional40.com/EstacionesServicio.asp
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
strsout OP
Banned Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
plenty of folks have done ruta 40 t up on big bikes. might actually be better considering the wind.

check here for excellent info. i wont vouch for the accuracy, but it's local so it may be kept current.

http://rutanacional40.com/EstacionesServicio.asp

Great site. Thank you for sharing TeeVee!!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
is doable.
ALthought consider a few days. It's not easy to ride 250 miles with much wind.
Also, the ruta 40 is slowly turning into a paved road. But you have chances to do some unpaved

If you need any help on argentina, let me know.

H
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Rafagas
Rafagas

Oddometer: 47
Ruta 40

Your decitions is very good and intertaining , normaly will find more than 50 bike adventurers, hotel, gas station (some empty).
Your selected route is hard but absolutly posible, your only have to drive whit prudence and common sence .

Enjoy it..................
Rafagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Caldy
Live your Dreams

Oddometer: 116
Ruta 40

Hi,
+1 to what Rafagas says. I rode it two up with my wife on a loaded 1150GSA about 6 years ago, coming up from Ushuia. Ripio was deep in some sections, but we took it reasonably slowly and didn't have any real dramas. We were lucky with weather and wind (don't get me wrong - it was still windy!)
With appropriate planning ,we had no issues with fuel. It was a great ride.
Enjoy!
Cheers
Caldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
strsout OP
Banned Camp

Cords and Aash and also Rafagas,
How many days took you to ride it, from where to where?

Just so I can plan the miles/day

Thank you
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Hello strsout,

I did the section from Perito Moreno city (120 kilometers south of Rio Mayo) to El Calafate in December 2012, riding 2-up on a F800GS.

There is gas in Perito Moreno, in Bajo Caracoles, in Tres Lagos and in Chalten although you will have to make a detour for that. Keep in mind that the gas stations in Bajo Caracoles and Tres Lagos have gas shortages from time to time. One more back-up option if something like that happens, will be Gobernador Gregores but that is also a detour.

From Perito Moreno we rode in just one day to Tres Lagos, about 480 kilometers, in one day. We were coming from Chile so we had done also 60 more kilometers, total 540 for that day and we did arive at Tres Lagos at night, ~ 22:00.

224 kilometeres out of the 480 of that part of R40, were unpaved. A few (about 100 if I remember correctly) were "ripio" with lots of deep gravel and washboards and required some caution and a slow tempo.

The rest of the unpaved sections were pretty smooth, even though at some points it was quite obvious that IF there had been rain, things could be tough for a 2-up heavy bike, i.e. there would be a lot of mud. We were lucky that it was dry. Also, we didn't experience any wind at all !

Another thing to note, is that there are construction works on the way, they are paving a lot of the ruta 40. So by the time you go there, the unpaved streches will probably be shorter than 224 kilometers.

Options for accomodation during the night are in Perito Moreno, in Bajo Caracoles (a hostel), in Tres Lagos (camping and hotel), in the "Siberia Ranch" (located somewhere in between, but the place was an absolute shithole and asked us an insane amount of money for what it is, we skipped). Then in Chalten if you take the detour (expensive place).

Hope that helps a little.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Hi there!

Quote:
I'm will be doing it with 2up, in an old R1100GS, loaded.
Absolutely. Know many folks that did that and with heavier bikes

Quote:
Is there any gas on those 1000 kilometers? the maps I'm seeing here don't show it.
Yes, you shouldn't have problems getting gas, but i would recommend carrying some extra fuel because your fuel range will decrease due to the winds

Quote:
Is there any hotels on those 1000 kilometers?
Hundreds of them and some places to camp

Quote:
How bad is that road for a big, heavy bike like GS with 2up?
They are paving the road so you might find some work but if you know you limitations and pay attention, you should be OK.

If there's something I can help you with, just PM me.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
strsout OP
Banned Camp

John,
that helps big time. Thank you for sharing.
If you won't mind, can I ask couple more questions?
You wrote that you came from Chile to Perito Moreno, 60Kms. That sounds very interesting.
How did you manage that? I'm checking maps here, and I see a gravel road from Chaiten to Coyhaique, them more gravel over the Paso Huemutes (spell??) then the border and finally Perito Moreno.
I'm assuming you took that route.
How did you do the Puerto Montt to Chaiten?
and how bad is that Chilean gravel road?
would you save time doing that instead of Osorno-Barilhoche-Esquel-Perito Moreno?
I see that there is more gravel there, but how nice is the route?

Thank you for that extra info. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
From Perito Moreno we rode in just one day to Tres Lagos, about 480 kilometers, in one day. We were coming from Chile so we had done also 60 more kilometers, total 540 for that day and we did arive at Tres Lagos at night, ~ 22:00.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
strsout OP
Banned Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post

If there's something I can help you with, just PM me.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Hi Manolito,
I will stop by in Rio Gallegos yes.
Maybe for a night on my way back, so let's keep in touch. I will PM you my email
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout View Post
John,
that helps big time. Thank you for sharing.
If you won't mind, can I ask couple more questions?
You wrote that you came from Chile to Perito Moreno, 60Kms. That sounds very interesting.
How did you manage that? I'm checking maps here, and I see a gravel road from Chaiten to Coyhaique, them more gravel over the Paso Huemutes (spell??) then the border and finally Perito Moreno.
I'm assuming you took that route.
How did you do the Puerto Montt to Chaiten?
and how bad is that Chilean gravel road?
would you save time doing that instead of Osorno-Barilhoche-Esquel-Perito Moreno?
I see that there is more gravel there, but how nice is the route?

Thank you for that extra info. :)
Not exactly that route.

In general, since the northern parts of Argentina & Chile we were heading south going constantly in and out, in and out and so on (Argentina then Chile, then Argentina then Chile ...)

So, we didn't do Osorno-Puerto Montt-Chaiten, I have no idea about the road conditions there.

What we did at that part of Patagonia:
We started from Zapala (Argentina) after returning from CHile once more from the north.
From Zapala, we followed R40 south only for so little, before turning to R46. We followed that until it intersected with R23 which we rode due south until Junin de Los Andes, then to San Martin de los Andes. From there we followed R234 and then R231 to Villa Angostura.
Continued along R231 Bariloche.

Then again to R40 (all paved), to El Bolson, then when R40 intersects with R71 we took that direction which goes through a national park (Parque Nacional los Alerces), with fantastic unpaved sections alongside lakes and forests. Amazing ride. The unpaved road is smooth and easy. Lots of options for camping on the shores of the lakes (we did that).

Then to Trevelin, then RN259 to Chile.
In Chile followed R231 until it meets with the famous Ruta 7 "Carretera Austral" and we rode it south to Coyhaique and then to the small village of Puerto Tranquilo (worth a stop and take a boat ride to the marble caves in the lake). Then we circled the lake General Carrera/Buenos Aires on R265 until the border with Argentina. It's from that point that we reached Perito Moreno city and the rest is as described in my previous post.

Ruta 7 Carretera Austral is a must do. The part in Chile that we did is aprox 700 kilometers of which ~400 are unpaved. Some short stretches (a 100 meters here, a 100 meters there and so on) were technical with lots of deep gravel but if you go slow and with caution there is nothing to intimidate you. It's totally worth it. It's one of the most fantastic places that we saw during our 5 month adventure in south America. We did it in 2 days and under lots of rain. Yet it was simply a pleasure. There are lots of options to sleep for the night along that road.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
GustavoErivan
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout View Post
Hi Manolito,
I will stop by in Rio Gallegos yes.
Maybe for a night on my way back, so let's keep in touch. I will PM you my email
Hi, guys!

I am planning to go to Ushuaia next summer, too.

That is my planning, until now:

24/nov Rio de Janeiro Curitiba 850
25/nov Curitiba SMMissoes 807
26/nov SMMissoes Gualeguaychu 821
27/nov Gualeguaychu Santa Rosa 734
28/nov Santa Rosa Puerto Madryn 753
29/nov Puerto Madryn Puerto San Julian 848
30/nov Puerto San Julian Cerro Sombrero 515
01/dez Cerro Sombrero Ushuaia 414
02/dez
03/dez
04/dez
05/dez Ushuaia Rio Gallegos 577
06/dez Rio Gallegos Puerto Natales 272
07/dez
08/dez Puerto Natales El Calafate 281
09/dez
10/dez
11/dez El Calafate Perito Moreno 691
12/dez Perito Moreno Bariloche 821
13/dez
14/dez Bariloche Puelen 620
15/dez Puelen Mendoza 601
16/dez
17/dez Mendoza Rio Cuarto 472
18/dez Rio Cuarto Santa Fé 430
19/dez Santa Fé SMMissoes 802
20/dez SMMissoes Curitiba 807
21/dez Curitiba Rio de Janeiro 850

See you.
GustavoErivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
Not exactly that route.
Then again to R40 (all paved), to El Bolson, then when R40 intersects with R71 we took that direction which goes through a national park (Parque Nacional los Alerces), with fantastic unpaved sections alongside lakes and forests. Amazing ride. The unpaved road is smooth and easy. Lots of options for camping on the shores of the lakes (we did that).

Then to Trevelin, then RN259 to Chile.
In Chile followed R231 until it meets with the famous Ruta 7 "Carretera Austral" and we rode it south to Coyhaique and then to the small village of Puerto Tranquilo (worth a stop and take a boat ride to the marble caves in the lake). Then we circled the lake General Carrera/Buenos Aires on R265 until the border with Argentina. It's from that point that we reached Perito Moreno city and the rest is as described in my previous post.

Ruta 7 Carretera Austral is a must do. The part in Chile that we did is aprox 700 kilometers of which ~400 are unpaved. Some short stretches (a 100 meters here, a 100 meters there and so on) were technical with lots of deep gravel but if you go slow and with caution there is nothing to intimidate you. It's totally worth it. It's one of the most fantastic places that we saw during our 5 month adventure in south America. We did it in 2 days and under lots of rain. Yet it was simply a pleasure. There are lots of options to sleep for the night along that road.
That part of the road is MARVELOUS. I ride it 1 and a half years ago, and I would do some more riding along that any day. From The border between Trevelin and Chile you can call a La Junta Lodge, and ask them to turn on the water heater for you, and you´ll have a Jacuzzy waiting for you.

Then you go to Marbel Cathedrals, all along the Carretera Austral, Spend some time around Lago General Carrera, then Labo Buenos Aires, and go trough Chile Chico to Los Antiguos. Eat some meat ( as the 3 crazy adv riders we found on chepo chinese bikes) and then you take back the Ruta 40.

Good luck, and if you need any help, just tell me.

H
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Cool2 I Rode North on 40 last year.

I rode north on 40 last year. Some serious washboard and a dry 'quicksand like' lighter stuff in places for a couple of hundred clicks between Malargüe & Barrancas. I may have missed a gas station in Barrancas or Chos Malal but I had my 9 gallon Touratech tank. Still I almost didn't make it to the station north of the gravel & washboard part of 40. Do not pass any opportunity for gas here and carry extra.

In this remote part of 40 you will see volcano cones, 'painted' hills and the gorgeous turquoise Rio Grande. Going was very slow due to road conditions. At times 35 kmh.

I stayed in one of 3 hotels in Barrancas and there are 3 "restaurants" where you eat what the family eats or beef. When I was there I learned what melanaisa was because that was all they had. Good! Wine was a sweet jug wine.

Between Malargüe and Barrancas plan on carrying gas. You may not find gas until you get to Chos Malal where I foolishly skipped looking for gas.

To the north of this stretch near San Rafael is a friendly hostel where I was the only guest. It is called the Tree House Hostel run by an American and his argentina wife. It is on Highway 143 at kilometer 497. wifi was pretty feeble if working but beds good and the owners cooked and shared dinner we bought at shops across the street.

Have a great ride!