Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
gitsum79 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
return to Cave Creek Canyon AZ, ride through the Chiricahua Mts.

My wife and I have visited Cave Creek Canyon on the eastern flanks of the Chiricahua Mts. before, it is a magical place of natural beauty. Located on the NM/AZ border, the steep mountain peaks rise almost a mile above the desert floor to nearly 10,000 feet.

We have been to Chiricahua National Monument on the western side twice, the towering rock formations are amazing. There is a dirt road that twists and climbs it's way 24 miles through the Chiricahua wilderness...

Once again we arrive at Cave Creek Canyon, it looks every bit as mystical as the first time we saw it a year ago. Only this time we plan to ride through to the other side...

We are hoping our Tomos Nitro 150 shod with new dual purpose Duro HF903 tires is up to the challenge.

Just south of Rodeo NM, a monument dedicated to the surrender of Apache Chief Geronimo

Same spot looking west at the southern end of the Chiricahua Mts.

The entrance to Cave Creek Canyon

My wife snapped some pictures on the move of Cave Creek Canyon before we gained elevation

Some deer on the road

Here are some shots of the high trail. I'm sure we must have climbed above 8000 ft.
The pictures just can't reproduce the same depth of elevation you experience from being there

Back down on the west side looking across at the Dragoon Mts. in the distance

The scooter performed flawlessly the entire trip. The Duro HF903 were smooth and quiet on the highway with excellent grip. Off road they were absolutely amazing. I was riding pretty conservatively keeping our speed between 10-15 mph for the most part. Not one single slip, wiggle or "oh shit!" moment the entire time off road, just a sure-footed secure feeling. No more bone jarring or teeth rattling ride, just nice and smooth except for the occasional loose rock or larger bump. The pleasant ride made for a much more enjoyable day.

We logged a total of 248 miles during an eight hour ride. The last 30 minutes or so were in the dark and the 55/60 watt 5 1/2" round "Frankenstein" light got us home safe and sound. The Coleman ATV seat pad gave us a little more endurance in the saddle, we finished up no worse for the wear.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Grokking_Fullness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Props for riding a scooter 2 up, and off-road! Great pics and thanks for making this place known to me. Its now added to my list of places to explore this month
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
ALthe3rd
Kind of Gassy

Oddometer: 18
Arizona has a lot to offer, I love the Chiricahua's. Thanks for the Photos.
ALthe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote