User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Mullet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
02-01-14 South Louisiana Afternoon Trip

We have been having some really cold weather lately in South Louisiana. Saturday the temperature was getting back into the comfortable range, so I called up my Brother-in-law (B&L) and asked him to do a little riding. B&L wanted to ride too, so I set off to the French quarter in New Orleans to meet up with him at his place.
I won’t bore you guys with the trip from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. I wanted to get there quick, so I took I-10 all the way. I did stop off at a gas station near me that still has fuel without ethanol. It is a little more expensive, but I think it’s worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]

I arrived in the quarter pretty early and the streets were just starting to move. Mardi Gras is just around the corner and this area will be packed with people in a couple of weeks. I snapped a couple of pictures while I waited for B&L to get his bike out of the parking garage.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The French Quarter is a really cool spot to hang out, but that is an altogether different type report. That’s best saved for another time.
This is the route we had planned for the day. We are going to run the River Road until it ends around Pointe la Hache La. Once we reached the end of the road, we planned on mapping another route home. I needed to head home for party at a friend’s house that night. I didn’t know how much time I would have to ride.

Our route looked something like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

To get to the River Road we needed to cross the ferry in Belle Chase La. The ferry was on the other side of the river when we arrived. Being that we were on bikes we were able to pull to the front of the line.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have never crossed the river in this area. It was busy with working boats and ships staged waiting to head up river.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The guys working the ferry let us on first and gave us the front of the boat to ourselves for the crossing.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After crossing the ferry we took HWY 39 and kept heading south.

[IMG][/IMG]

The area we were riding is not very populated and allows for you to keep up a good pace. You have the levee on one side.

[IMG][/IMG]

Marsh on the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]

We stopped at these old boats we noticed on the levee. They were probably blown up when the water rose during Hurricane Katrina or one of the other storms we have had in the past.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We knew we were near the end of the road when we left the area near the boats on the levee. At the end of the road we planned on mapping out our way home or maybe crossing the river to head south to Venice La.
I was running about a half a mile behind B&L due to the speed we were traveling. I suddenly noticed brake lights ahead of me in a corner and slowed down.
I turned the corner and noticed B&L had gone down on the left hand side of the road. I pulled up and asked him if he was O.K. He said he was fine, so…… I took a picture!

[IMG][/IMG]

I’m not going to get into the details of the spill in-order to protect the incident. He was geared out and he was not hurt.

Let’s move on.

So, we did have one small problem. His bike was jacked-up and we were at the bottom of the state in the middle of nowhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

With the tool kit under the seat, some kicking and cursing we were able to get it back together enough to start creeping back to New Orleans.
We made it back to the ferry in one piece and the guys gave us the front of the boat again. Just a little scratched up on the ride back.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was my first ride report I that have posted on ADV-Rider. It seems like I’m always traveling too fast to slow down and take pictures. A fellow inmate in another thread mentioned that he cut off the finger of one glove and put his camera in an easier location to reach . It worked for me!

[IMG][/IMG]

That’s it folks.

Mullet screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 10:29 AM
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote