Oddometer: 8
I look forward to more

You get points for the V-Strom. I am living vicariously through this thread
trhjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Cool trip! I'm looking at getting out of Santa Cruz for some Utah riding soon myself.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
The government shutdown was pretty lame for us- all the major National Parks were barricaded off with rangers, whirling red and blue lights, it was bullshit. Every little campground in any area of land with the word, "National" in it was also closed- even the ones that offered no services.

The good thing about Utah is that there are still beautiful roads and sites that our big National brother can't put it's paws on.

.....AMEN to that!

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
CONKSO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 5: Moab... not so much.

We had a nice night camping out up at Starr Springs - if you're looking for a low key spot out near Bullfrog, this is a good one to mark on the map.

The next morning after a sweet sunrise and a steaming cup of coffee we loaded up and rolled out planning to stay the night in Moab. Moab was the impetus for the trip. I'd heard about the place here on ADV and it looked like a mecca for riding but it's way out there for a guy like me in San Diego. Originally, I was going to use my two whole weeks of Fall break to get out there and check it out but my time got cut in half by a girlfriend request for me to go with her to Atlanta, Georgia (interesting for a California native). The result of the time loss is that we figured we'd only have a day to see Moab so with that in mind we fired up the bikes and logged some long miles getting there.

The weather was pretty gnarly the whole way there. We rode the long way 'round cruising up 95 to the 24 across the 70 and then down the 191 to Moab. The 95 and 24 were some of the most wide open highways I've ever been on- we rode long miles on them but I have to say, I enjoyed every minute of the riding. For a guy from crowded southern California, being in that much open sky country is pretty amazing, I just wish I had more time to check it all our. Especially Goblin Valley State Park which looked cool (weirdly, a huge gust of wind hit me right when I passed the park- scared the shit out of me and gave me a sense of foreboding about the park and its ominous name).

Like I said, the weather was pretty uneven the whole way. There would be pockets of nice sunshine but off in the distance you'd see dark storm clouds just dumping rain in the distance. It would get cold too and Mike and I resorted to putting our rain gear on over our moto jackets and long underwear just to stay a little more comfortable. I had been hauling my Frogg Toggs around the whole trip and this was the first time I had to use them- I was glad I had them with me.

By the time we got to Moab, it was kind of a bummer. It was really very chilly and their was snow on the nearby mountains with very dark, very ominous looking clouds seemingly right on top of us. There were also rain puddles on either side of the highway leading into Moab. The sky was darkening and it just didn't have that sunshine, happy feeling that I was looking forward to. In addition, and this is worst part, ALL of the National Parks were again blocked off by ranger vehicles would not let anybody ride in. Moab itself looked cool, like a happening little action-forward type of town- it reminded me of Hood River or Bend both towns in Oregon with athletic people everywhere doing every sort of cool thing. We weren't feeling it though- we put the hustle of the little town up against the solitude of our previous campsites and came to a unanimous decision: we're outta here!

Our next stop was a hotel up the road in Monticello- we lucked out and snagged the last room available. We took advantage of the heated indoor pool and jacuzzi, ate a great meal at the hippy joint across the street (see below: Ribeye, rare, with a roasted chili on top of it) and called it a day. A real bed never felt so good.

CONKSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #20
CONKSO OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Greetings All:

trhjohn: The vstrom was great- it really did it all from cruising 80mph and more on the fast Utah highways to riding over sand and rocky roads on the back roads. The bike started every morning and ran all day long. It also gave me some solid mpg numbers- just by the computer I averaged 50 mpg- when I hand calculate I usually do a little better. I put a larger windscreen on it and a forkbrace as well as handguards and frame sliders and lower cowling but other than that it's pretty much bone stock. Oh yeah, Alaskan sheepskin seat cover- that thing was AWESOME.

Ghostyman: Do it! My brother lives in Santa Cruz- you may see him around on his yellow BMW (F650gs or something like that?). Buying gear and thinking about the trip were the easy parts- actually rolling out of the driveway and letting go of the, "Did I forget something" feelings was much harder- just do it.

Obrianmcc: yep- hands off MY National Parks!

Dirtnrocks: Utah rules- you're in a good place my friend. Believe me I'm coming back for more sometime. Probably when it's a bit warmer. Late June?
CONKSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 330
Utah action!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #22
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
The right gear makes a huge difference in comfort. Once you get cold it's much harder to get warm and comfy again.

I grew up in San Diego too, but have spent many years in New England and Colorado. Bring clothes you can layer, they pack down easily and you can tailor what you need to the temps it is at the time...