Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
OSULemon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Is there a market for a motorcycle security camera?

We've all seen the high-dollar security systems you can buy to help prevent your bike from being stolen. However, after reading story after story online about bikes being knocked over, tampered with, backed into, and otherwise damaged while the owner is away, I'm beginning to wonder why a small camera mounted on the bike wouldn't be a good idea.

Mostly beneficial for when you're not at home, it would have a large FOV (or 360 degree, depending on cost), a small DVR, a small G-sensor, and automatically turns on/off when you use your key. You can build an alarm into it as well, in case someone wants to tamper, it might scare them off AND get a video of them in the process.

Mounting and design TBD, but am I on the right track here, or is this a dead-end that nobody would ever pay for?
OSULemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,442
And where on the bike do you HIDE the camera while still making sure it covers the needed viewing angle(s)?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Check out game cameras, they are motion sensed and only go off when there is something to set them off. Of course it would be best if mounted in a way that they will not be stolen. You can find them all over I did a quick search and found a bunch listed at Cabela's for under $150.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...h-Bargain+Cave

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
The problem with cameras is at this point unless you want to spend a ton they still looks like cameras. That mans bad folks will do what they do and steal your 200$ camera, especially if they think it caught them being bad.

Setting up a camera at your residence is one thing. If you think you can hide a game trail camera every time you park your bike you're mistaken.

Also the police don't really care what happens to your bike. They will likely not even do anything if you tell them you have video of some anonymous person messing with your bike.

So if a 100 people buy cameras and set them when they park their bike, 60 will probably get tired of it and give up with the hassle of mounting everywhere.

20 will have their cameras stolen. 10 will forget to change batteries or dump memory card when something happens. 9 will have something happen and get nowhere with police. 1 might get something out of it from the police.

And where on the bike do you suppose you would mount the camera to catch a person anyway?

Most bikes either get vandalized in a petty way, or stolen. Camera will not help in either case. It's not worth the hassle or money.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Video only helps cops so much. If they can't identify the person, you'll get nowhere. They're not gonna put up a video on the six o'clock news and ask "Can you identify this man who scratch the tank on a motorcycle at ...."

They're going to file a report as quickly as possible so you can get your insurance money and move onto more important stuff.

I saw 2 dudes leaving a house they just broke into. Cops showed up later at the house, which is how I found out it was broken into. Guys leaving the building were carrying sacks of stuff to a Jeep Grand Cherokee they had put a rag in the window to leave by the roadside, hopped in and drove off.

I talked to the homeowner and described what I saw. He knew who the kids were. I called the police, they didn't even bother asking me hardly anything and never pursued the guy. Incidentally one of the criminals had a stroke 2 weeks later and is now disabled. Don't do drugs.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post

Also the police don't really care what happens to your bike. They will likely not even do anything if you tell them you have video of some anonymous person messing with your bike.
This is totally true. I had a bike stolen from my apartment's parking garage; the perps had to go by multiple cameras. Neither the apt nor the cops gave a fuck.

Something like a gopro for accidents/traffic issues makes sense. For protecting the bike I'm not sure I'd bother with installing cameras in my garage, let alone something that was always on the bike.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
I ride a V-Strom 650. I usually park my bike close to a nice Harley Davidson or a Gold Wing when I am on the road. Takes care of the theft problem, who wants a bike as fugly as mine when they can take a far nicer and more expensive bike.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathered View Post
This is totally true. I had a bike stolen from my apartment's parking garage; the perps had to go by multiple cameras. Neither the apt nor the cops gave a fuck.

Something like a gopro for accidents/traffic issues makes sense. For protecting the bike I'm not sure I'd bother with installing cameras in my garage, let alone something that was always on the bike.

It's just a matter of it being a property crime, not a big deal to them. It happens all the time and there's really not much of a way to solve it. Plus that would involve work. In the time they spend trying to find your stolen stuff they could be busting people with .09 BAC's and doing 10 over the speed limit making bank.

Cops don't really help, that's what insurance is for.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,425
For a couple of years I had a $100 Linksys camera mounted in the rafters of my car port. It had motion sensor capabilities and it would capture VGA quality video with any movement.. It also had wi-fi network access, and it would email 5-second video clips to a special Gmail address I created for this purpose. It basically sent me dozens of clips every day, mostly about 1MB in size, and I would login to Gmail about once a month and delete them all. Worked very well. Wasn't infra-red / night vision, rather I had a halogen motion security light that provided ample light. Never had my bike stolen but it did make me feel better. Worked very well for about 2 years, then I moved and the place I live now has secure indoor parking.

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,605
I lol at this because you have picked the perfect and least perfect place to ask this question.

On the positive there are LOTS of dedicated motorcyclists here who put TONS of time and money into their bikes. More than that, there are a ton of motorcyclists here (more than just about anywhere) that count on their bike as a transportation device not just a toy.

On the other hand, there are a also a ton of us who ride, use our bikes for actual transportation pieces and yet ride bikes that pass the "drop kick test".

If I came out from work and found my DR350 on it's side I would chuckle, pick it up and ride home. It wouldn't even be an anecdote that I passed on. It would have been forgotten 5 minutes down the road.

Maybe the GS forum would be good for this? Those guys always seem to have cash available for just about any farkle.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,497
I have a camera mounted on the bike to record a possible accident or anything else happening on the road. Unlike Go-Pro or similar, it is fully automatic- it starts recording with the ignition, and overwrites the oldest files when its memory card fills up.
I couldn't find a waterproof camera, and had to come up with not terribly effective homemade water proofing. The quality of these DVR cameras is not very impressive compared to Go-Pro and they are unreliable. But for $50, why not...

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Just get this and you have GPS tracking info you can give the cops. Or your buddies if you feel like kickin some thief ass

http://ridescorpio.com/ride/#section-1

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Just get this and you have GPS tracking info you can give the cops. Or your buddies if you feel like kickin some thief ass

http://ridescorpio.com/ride/#section-1
I would spend my money on better insurance coverage.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote