View Results: Fairness or expediency?
Wait your turn in line, rude dog! 28 28.87%
Bikes are small, cars are big. Life is unfair. 69 71.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I agree with the dangerous commenters. I've seen too many impatient drivers that got tired of waiting for the guy in front to turn left or just changed his mind at the last minute and whipped out at the last minute. I think it depends on the situation but I always ere on the side of safety.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Thraan
Banned

Oddometer: 28,855
Safe and fair.

If the car could squeeze by and make the right turn it would do so. No reason at all for the bike not to too.
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluklowskli View Post
You're sitting in your car at a stoplight, waiting to turn right because a car in front of you is going straight and there's no turn lane. Your blinker is on. A motorcyclist passes between you and the curb, and turns right.

Rude? Unfair? Or acceptable, if the room is there?
Why would you even care?
You didn't have enough room to make the turn, the motorcyclist did, obviously...
The only reason I could see a person caring is if he was pissed that someone was able to do what he/she was not.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Speeds everyone behind you up. Does not inconvenience anyone in front of you. Where's the problem? I do this almost every day at a light by my house. If only lane splitting was legal in GA, I could save 5-10 minutes on my commute by filtering to the front at stoplights too..
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
If it's dangerous, so is any right-hand turn on red when there's a car in the left-turn lane. Depending on the intersection, most people inch forward until they can see what they need to see. And most people don't get hit.
Guess it depends on the circumstances. The intersection I had in my mind could be a killer, but I guess under some circumstances (slower or more predictable traffic) I'd be more comfortable.

The difference between squeezing in and another vehicle in a left lane is the gap. When you're a foot from a minivan you're invisible. When you're 8 feet from a Camry you're visibility goes up.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
I'm the motorcyclist. Got honked at, vaguely uneasy about it.

Fairness and politeness are hardly set in stone, now, are they?
Why is it "unpolite" to take a turn when another can't? I think it's impolite to worry consider it unfair. Do it safely and ignore the horn.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
I have to make this decision at an intersection on my commute. if there is room and I have enough time to make it, yes.

about 2/3 of the time there isn't enough space as it is narrow and most drivers in west LA/beverly hills have no clue on how to keep the cage in middle of lanes
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
I treat it the same as passing stopped left-turners on the right. It helps traffic flow, gets the next car back closer to the intersection, I get out of stacked traffic, and when done safely the potential risk is no greater than sitting and waiting.

This is ONLY when traffic is stopped. If traffic is moving I'll stay in line and wait my turn.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,257
Sit in line behind some SUV when I could easily slip by, make my turn, and be on my way? Are you kidding me? I do it ALL the time here in SoCal. Only caveat is that if the right turn involves getting into a marked bicycle lane before the right turn, then you can get a ticket. Other than that, it's all fair game.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
I do it all the time. As long as there is plenty of room and the car is blocked, what is the difference?
By the same token, if I am in my car and first at the light and not turning, I will always pull up to allow the person behind me to turn right.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
(EDIT: I think the post I was responding to was nuked.
Here it is: "This. I've seen cars do it to semis and get hit. It's stupid to let your impatience put you in a dangerous situation.")

Isn't it all about being aware and choosing the safe option?

How many of these cars drove to the right of a semi with a right blinker on? Probably most of them. Some folks put so little thought into driving they simply ignore all the clues.

For those who do assess the situation and consider the possibilities this type of right turn can be done safely, when the conditions allow.

If the circumstances don't allow this safely, don't do it.

If a rider doesn't want to assess the situation and weigh the data before committing, don't do it.

Every situation is different. As many examples can be made for one argument as for the other. Bottom line is more about situational awareness than any gross generalization stating that it "always" safe or unsafe to do so.

Granted, for those whose life is full of belief in such generalizations it is probably best that they act as safely as possible, mostly because their mindset will hinder the process of assessment.

As always, YMMV.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 10:38 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Can be Dangerous, in my opinion, but obviously it depends on the intersection.

Lets say you are rolling up on your bike along the right hand side of cars because you are turning right, and the cars are going straight.

If oncoming traffic has an advanced green, they will just go and turn. And if the right-turn is into single lane, they may not see you turning right and when a car and bike attempt to both occupy the same lane, the bike looses.

I had this happen to me a month ago. Narrowly avoided becoming overly intimate with a Subuaru with minor hail damage on the hood -- Yes, it was close enough for me to observe that -- and all due to oncoming traffic having an advanced green.
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
You're sitting in your car at a stoplight, waiting to turn right because a car in front of you is going straight and there's no turn lane. Your blinker is on. A motorcyclist passes between you and the curb, and turns right.

Rude? Unfair? Or acceptable, if the room is there?
I guess my question to you is: Why were you sitting so far left in your lane when you were preparing to turn right? Junior High Drivers' Ed classes teach a person to move to the right side of the lane for a right turn. Left side of lane for a left turn.

You left room for the guy to go by. I'd have done the same thing that rider did.

You left it open for him...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJackWhitton View Post
Can be Dangerous, in my opinion, but obviously it depends on the intersection.

Lets say you are rolling up on your bike along the right hand side of cars because you are turning right, and the cars are going straight.

If oncoming traffic has an advanced green, they will just go and turn. And if the right-turn is into single lane, they may not see you turning right and when a car and bike attempt to both occupy the same lane, the bike looses.

I had this happen to me a month ago. Narrowly avoided becoming overly intimate with a Subuaru with minor hail damage on the hood -- Yes, it was close enough for me to observe that -- and all due to oncoming traffic having an advanced green.
"Advanced Green" ? Do street departments still use "Delayed Green" instead of left turn arrows? I haven't seen a Delayed Green on a city street since I was a kid.

When you're turning right on a red, you are supposed to yield to any traffic. If you were on your bike and turning right, you should've yielded to the left-turning Subie.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
I try not to be judgmental. I would help by moving a little if I could. When someone wants to pass real bad, I move over to the right when it looks good, over the shoulder line. They always give me a good margin when they pass. Some roads are just too large to block traffic with a scooter.
http://youtu.be/Dx3q2TmfveA Like these guys on Heinkels in Thailand I think. Interesting how they use the road.