Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
Dwizzle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I bought my GSA the end of July and it took about 6 weeks to get my cases.
Dwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Installed the Touratech Montana mount today. Instead of using the supplied bar clamps, I went down to a local boat shop and purchased a pair of stainless steel nautical type tie downs that work just the same. That mount isn't moving anywhere...now if I can just figure out where the power hooks up.

GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

Oddometer: 127
Nice solution!

As for the power hookup, look behind the battery - there's a auxiliary CAN bus plug all ready to go. Just take off the plastic plug. If you use this plug it will power the unit without a battery in the unit, and it will automatically turn off the unit when you turn off the bike (it's a 3 minute delay I believe).

I bought the BMW part 83300413585 REPAIR CONNECTOR and wired it into my GPS power leads. You can find this part at your local BMW dealer (they may have to order it), but I believe I bought mine from Touratech or Twisted Throttle.

This thread has some good info and a pic of the BMW plug. http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=167512
MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
Nice solution!

As for the power hookup, look behind the battery - there's a auxiliary CAN bus plug all ready to go. Just take off the plastic plug. If you use this plug it will power the unit without a battery in the unit, and it will automatically turn off the unit when you turn off the bike (it's a 3 minute delay I believe).

I bought the BMW part 83300413585 REPAIR CONNECTOR and wired it into my GPS power leads. You can find this part at your local BMW dealer (they may have to order it), but I believe I bought mine from Touratech or Twisted Throttle.

This thread has some good info and a pic of the BMW plug. http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...&pageId=167512
Thanks. The cradle that the Montana sits in seem to already have a connector on it, so it might just be finding that axillary plug and just plugging it in.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Still haven't been able to locate that plug. Anyone have a GSA that can take a photo of where that plug is located?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #21
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

Here you go, I've circled it in red. Slide it out, pull off the cap and plugin your line.

MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #22
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Here you go, I've circled it in red. Slide it out, pull off the cap and plugin your line.

I figured it would be hiding in plain sight. Thanks, I'll take care of this in the morning.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Received the Black Dog Cycle Works skid plate in the mail today. Will mount it up tomorrow. I chose this skid plate because it covered the catalytic converter, I like the way it mounted, it was made in the USA and I could easily get the people who made the product on the phone. More photos tomorrow...

Old 12-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

AltRider Side Stand Foot

Added one of these...very easy to install.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

I have the Touratech version, what brand is that in your pics? Everyone needs one of these.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have the Touratech version, what brand is that in your pics? Everyone needs one of these.
AltRider. I purchased it on Revzilla.com yesterday and it was at my house by 3:30PM today. Less than 24 hours. I use Revzilla when ever I can.

Now time to look at adding a BMW powerport or two for a small air pump I purchased at the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show. One of those PDM60s might come in handy for power distribution. How much did yours cost?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

I think they are $200? I don't have mine connected yet, I didn't need any more power ports for my trip - so I wired the pump line directly to the battery. I figured it could make for a simple jumper connection and trickle charger later as well.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I think they are $200? I don't have mine connected yet, I didn't need any more power ports for my trip - so I wired the pump line directly to the battery. I figured it could make for a simple jumper connection and trickle charger later as well.
Thanks...I just found them on Revzilla...and $200.00 is spot on.

Do you know if you can make a circuit permanently "hot"? I had BMW Escondido make one of the two accessory ports on my R1200RT hot so I could charge my cell phone when the bike was powered off. Works great. I want to do the same for the GSA.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

I forget, but they are programmable so it should be possible - you need a PC laptop and their software.

If nothing else you can do what I did and always have one hot line connected to the battery with standard fuse.

I'll use mine for the trickle charger, plus - I've been using it as a backup for the CANBUS, something went bad on it and I haven't had a change to look at it yet - so I've been using the hot line while riding to charge my phone.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

BTW - I bought one of these to test my hot line with standard chip fuse - pretty handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-amp-...ter-67725.html