Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
You can make a circuit always hot.

From the PDM60 dedicated site:

Quote:
ALWAYS LIVE - Active – Always On – Constant Power (power is briefly interrupted on ignition trigger) *** WARNING *** (USING THIS
CONFIGURATION WILL RESULT IN A CONSTANT PARASITIC CURRENT DRAW OF 50mA – IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
MOTORCYCLE, OR UTILITY BATTERIES WITH LESS THAN A 10Ah RATING – THIS CONFIGRATION IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
VEHICLES THAT ARE USED INFREQUENTLY, OR IN STORAGE FOR PERIODS EXCEEDING 6 DAYS (WITHOUT A CHARGING
SYSTEM/BATTERY TENDER BEING CONNECTED) The 50mA current draw equates to a battery usage of roughly 1.2 amps per
day – Divide your vehicle battery Amp Hour rating by 1.5 – The resulting number is the number of days you will have before
your battery is reduced to a discharged state. (i.e 10Ah battery - 10/1.5=6 – days until a discharged condition in present)
http://pdm60.com/wp-content/uploads/...ual-091613.pdf

If you have questions, call them at 866-820-7693. Great people to deal with. Steve Rowe is always open to suggestions/feedback.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
You can make a circuit always hot.

From the PDM60 dedicated site:

http://pdm60.com/wp-content/uploads/...ual-091613.pdf

If you have questions, call them at 866-820-7693. Great people to deal with. Steve Rowe is always open to suggestions/feedback.
Thanks for the info. I need a port that's always hot for charging a phone with the ignition off. If it's not recommended to have one port hot all the time, then I'll just save the $200.00 and wire it directly and simply use a fuse like the good old days. I'm guess that the 50mA draw is the cost to run the PDM60....not a big deal if the bike is running. Maybe they ought to run a "straight through" line that simply bypasses their entire system for cases like this...in that way a guy like me would buy the unit anyway, wire it for straight through service and have the other 6 circuits available for future needs.

Thanks Again!
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Added one of these...very easy to install.

save your money there junk and fall off even with thread locker..... 1/4" stock plate cut to fit 1/2" wider than your original then tig weld it to original
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
save your money there junk and fall off even with thread locker..... 1/4" stock plate cut to fit 1/2" wider than your original then tig weld it to original
Thanks, but it's too late for that. :) I'll just keep an eye on it as I do with my race bikes going over every nut and bolt prior to each race.

I was thinking about going down to True Value and getting some lock washers. That, in addition to thread locker ought to keep them tight.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
MplsMoto OP
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
7500 miles and no problems with loose bolts on mine, I'll have to disagree with the idea that they're junk. A good clean solution in my opinion. I used thread lock btw.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #36
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
7500 miles and no problems with loose bolts on mine, I'll have to disagree with the idea that they're junk. A good clean solution in my opinion. I used thread lock btw.
Thanks for the info. I keep a good eye on nuts and bolts anyway so it's not a big deal to check them occasionally.

I use blue threadlocker on every bolt that I don't want to lose. :)
Old 03-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

F800 Won't Start

Was on a ride with about 30 BMW guys last month and one of the guys riding a F800GS (non-adventure) pulled up for lunch, hit his kill button, parked and went off to find the food.

When we were getting ready to leave his bike would not start...key on, etc.

The BMW mechanic that was with us told him to turn his bike back off, wait 30 seconds and fire it up. It worked!

The mechanic tells me I should always turn the bike off with the key, and not the kill button.

Learn something every day.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #38
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Was on a ride with about 30 BMW guys last month and one of the guys riding a F800GS (non-adventure) pulled up for lunch, hit his kill button, parked and went off to find the food.

When we were getting ready to leave his bike would not start...key on, etc.

The BMW mechanic that was with us told him to turn his bike back off, wait 30 seconds and fire it up. It worked!

The mechanic tells me I should always turn the bike off with the key, and not the kill button.

Learn something every day.
There have been some late '12, and '13's where I recall that was an issue. He should have it looked over, as I think it was a free dealer fix.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #39
bjoseph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
New seat?

Has anyone tried one of the new aftermarket seats that are appearing for the new F800GSA? I see that Corbin released one and Sargeant is getting close....
bjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #40
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I need a port that's always hot for charging a phone with the ignition off. If it's not recommended to have one port hot all the time, then I'll just save the $200.00 and wire it directly and simply use a fuse like the good old days. I'm guess that the 50mA draw is the cost to run the PDM60....not a big deal if the bike is running. Maybe they ought to run a "straight through" line that simply bypasses their entire system for cases like this...in that way a guy like me would buy the unit anyway, wire it for straight through service and have the other 6 circuits available for future needs.

Thanks Again!
If you have a SAE battery tender plug installed, you can use this item to charge stuff.

KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #41
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Black Dog Rear Rack Install

Went down to San Diego BMW to pick up some Rock Straps and found they had a Black Dog Rear Rack for the F800GSA. I quizzed the guy about it and he assured me it was the correct one...the same one he was going to put on his F8GSA. A few months earlier I exchanged few e-mails with Black Dog asking if their rack was for the GSA and at that time it wasn't. Anyway, with his assurances, I purchased the rack, came home and started the install.

I quickly realized that my initial suspicion was correct....it was not made for the GSA. :(

Echoing in the back of my mind was something my friend used to say....

"You have to modify everything"

...but I didn't want to do that.

The install went something like this...

1. Take off the stock rack and you will end up with 4 screws, two long spacers and two short spacers.

2. Install the spacers from BD...two long and two short. (The long ones are longer than the stock long ones and the short ones are the same as the short stock ones.

3. Place the rack on the spacers....doing that you get a rack that is very high in the back, low in the front...that doesn't work.

4. Put the stock spacers back in place and place the BD rack on that platform and unfortunately the supplied screws from BD are about 1/2 inch too long and bottomed out. If you attempt to use the stock BMW screws, the head does not fit into the beveled hole like the BD screws and does not provide a smooth surface as the heads stick up....that won't work.

5. Scratch your head....

a. Well, I can cut 1/2 inch off the supplied BD screws (stainless) to make it work with the stock spacers

b. I can cut the supplied BD long spacer to make it level with the BD supplied short spacer (same as the BMW short spacer)...but then again will have to cut the BD screws.

Scratch your head some more.

Ok, let's use the BD supplied long rear spacer and lets add the BD supplied shorts spacer to the existing BMW short spacer.

Place rack...almost perfectly level...install BD screws...they fit...check underneath...WELL, while everything is fitting up, the top of the spacers is not flush with the bottom of the rack..maybe a degree or two off.

Scratch head some more....

I can use a crush washer or a nylon washer to take up the space...rush down to Lowes and get some nylon washers, rush back, install and tighten everything down. Look...gap all gone. Shake test...solid as a rock.

Dodged a bullet on that one.

So, while you can make a Black Dog rear rack work on a F800GSA, it's not designed for it AND looking at the stock rack, it's stamped at an angle so that gap does not exist. Any flat rack will have that 1-2 degree error, but you can take up the small space with a nylon washer.

Here are some photos....

I used towels in this photo to provide contrast and added the stock plate to show the difference in size.

Makes a good place to place a tent or any other bag you want to carry. Almost ready to hit the Overland Expo at Morman Lake, AZ next week.

I love Black Dog stuff. Really well made. I've made a few converts to the Black Dog skid plate. Proud to have DB stuff on my bike.

Note: After finally reading the instructions, I realized that this rack is set up to accept a Rotopax mount....SWEET!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #42
LeCler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75

I discovered this bearing (I think) stuck to my magnetic oil drain plug. Any clues as to how I would end up with a needle bearing there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #43
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow...not sure how that would happen. I would immediately take the photo and the bike to the BMW shop if close..otherwise send them the photo and see what they say.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #44
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,237
That's just F'd up. I wouldn't be riding it or even wanting to keep the bike. Could be from the clutch basket my guess. Any chance you can measure it and I'll check my spare parts to help identify it?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #45
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,452
One of two options.
One.... off a bearing inside the engine... Do not run, as it most likely will grenade shortly.
Two.... Dropped in by accident at assembly.... Go ride and never look back.

Lets see where Reaver think it belongs....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote