User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
Going to my 30 year high school reunion on a scooter

So here I sit, unable to sleep. It's hard for me to fathom what those of you who are heading out for a trip across the country or across the world must feel like the night before the trip. Hell, I'm just headed 300 miles north from Southwest Va. to DC and I've got the butterflies.
I can't attribute all of the butterflies to the ride though. Sure the rain in the forecast and attacking DC traffic on a 250cc scooter has me thinking, but there is something about reuniting with friends that I have not seen in 30 years that has me going. In high school I was pretty much an average guy, "C" student, bench warmer and quiet in class. True to form I'm still pretty much an average guy. The older I get, the more I'm OK with this. Hell, someone has to sit at the peak of the bell curve. I've always told myself and my daughter that you have to evaluate your position based on your potential, and not to use somebody else as the standard for self evaluation. I imagine a 30 year reunion will put this motto to the test.
With that, I'm off, knowing that the nice thing about bikes is that the ride home should provide ample time for reflection.

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Joelh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Enjoy your ride. I once did 100 miles on my 79 vespa and it was a bigger adventure than almost anything on my big bike. I love sw VA. Some of the most beautiful terrain in the country.
Joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,949
So which HS? Ride safe, been a steady rain up here for days. Post up after u get home and tell us how it went. My 30 yr too but I'm going riding this weekend instead.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,951
What high school? I'm a few years older, but went to high school in the DC area myself. On the ride back you will have lots of new things to reflect on. Like how much some people have changed and how some haven't.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,949
Mt Vernon for me
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
K777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I was going to ride my Vespa from NYC to Liverpool NY for my 30th this summer, but I got a BMW F700GS right before it, so rode that instead.
It was a fun ride and I had a blast at the reunion.

Have a great trip & fun with old classmates
K777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
10 Year reunions are the pits because they are little more than DMC's.

20 Year reunions and things start to smooth out.

By the 30th... Things can be kind of fun. Life has a way of pointing out what is important and what isn't. The jocks and the jerks have mellowed, the quiet kids have matured and come into their own, and no one really gives a crap about what happened 30 years prior.

Have a good time!
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Great reason for a ride. I appreciate your contentment with being who you are. Safe travels.
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Trucker jay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
What roads are you going to take? The BRP and Skyline Drive is beautiful but kinda slow.
Trucker jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
GaryinVT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
My experience was the same as Okie Preacher. I had my 30th in 2010, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. People are much more comfortable with themselves in their late 40's; you're mostly settled in to who you are. Having reconnected with a few classmates in Facebook beforehand helped, and I have "friended" many more since. A lot of them that weren't even close friends in high school, but are friends now. Pretty cool.
The only thing that was a bit uncomfortable was seeing some classmates not remembering each other. Including ones that you knew we're at least somewhat friends back then. I hope you had a good time.
GaryinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, so I was kidding myself about the weather. Sure the weather man was calling for a washout but this is leaf changing season in Southwest Va. and I had it in my head that it was not going to rain so it wasn't going to.
The the route to DC included the BR Parkway, Rt250, 20, 3, and RT 1. It was cloudy when I pulled out and when I reached the Parkway I had the feeling my positive thoughts had kept the rain at bay. I stopped and took a few shots as it was around 8am and I did not have to be in Dumfries Va. until 4:30pm.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

I pulled into a couple overlooks to fully appreciate what one of the most beautiful roads in the east has to offer. On this day it was practically deserted. Seems the forecast was keeping everyone home.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

I should not say it was deserted as I had the good fortune of picking a day that coincided with some type of vintage sports car rally so about every 5 minutes some form of 60's-70's pristine sports car would run by headed the opposite direction. It was really cool, Triumphs, Porsche's, Jaguar's and a whole slew of other makes that were beyond me to identify. I think they stagger the release of the cars so the spacing made sense. Maybe someone else here could chime in on how a rally actually works.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Due to the furlough all of the services along the Parkway were shut down. That said, I decided to stop at the Peaks of Otter anyway as my wife and I were married there almost 20 years ago. I felt bad for the new concierge who took over the operation of the lodge and restaurant just this summer. Sucks that our politicians are using the populous as leverage for negotiation especially for a guy like the concierge.

As you would expect, I was the only one milling around.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
tastroman OP
Beastly Adventurer

This would be the last overlook I'd stop at for a while and from the pic you can see why. The clouds were beginning to close in and it was about to get hard to see.