ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,030
Shotgun carry

I shoot skeet and trap. It'd be a lot more fun and economical if I could ride my bike to the shooting range.

Questions...

Is there a way to haul a shotgun on a motorcycle that's fully legal in Calif?

What's the best method for hauling a shotgun on a motorcycle that would be legal, safe and wouldn't harm the gun?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
BLU HWY
Guilty By-Stander

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageThumper View Post
I shoot skeet and trap. It'd be a lot more fun and economical if I could ride my bike to the shooting range.

Questions...

Is there a way to haul a shotgun on a motorcycle that's fully legal in Calif?

What's the best method for hauling a shotgun on a motorcycle that would be legal, safe and wouldn't harm the gun?
Just choke that 18" 870....

photo photo-50.jpg
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Just break it down, put it in a case and strap it on the bike. As long as it's not loaded, nothing illegal about it. Pistol carrying is different. We do ride and shoots all the time, altho' Sporting Clays vs. T & S. I strap mine across the pillion on my Gold wing, but I guess I could carry it vertically with the butt resting on the rear footrest. I my ST1300 I carry it lengthwise over the pillion and rear rack. Just don't make it look like a gun to avoid harassment by an over zealous LEO called by a panicked soccer mom.

doxbike screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 05:23 AM
doxbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 904
To be legal it just needs to be unloaded. Best way would be to take off the barrel and put it in a case or some bag that does not look like something that holds a gun. Better if you find a way to lock it to the bike with a cable or something. I have carried a Marlin 39A takedown 22 to the range in a Wolfman beta bag on my DR350 for some target practice, then a couple hours of fireroads after.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Are there legal issues with "concealed carry" if it's in a case, or "brandishing" if it's not in a case? And would the laws saying a gun can't be immediately accessible to the vehicle operator be in play when carrying a shotgun on a bike?

VintageThumper screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 09:19 AM
VintageThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Follow the suggestions mentioned and you should be fine. Keeping the ammo separate is helpful.

I use a bat bag since folks go to the cages to practice, right? Just makes it look less gunnish as mentioned.

Legally, you could put the ammo in a tail bag and strap it across your back but you prolly don't want to for reasons mentioned.

Underzealous LEO and gun advocate, signing off.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,624
Also make sure you transport it with a trigger lock for that added layer of legality.

Overkill yes, but then again this is california...
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
terb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Just mount your gun case/holding bag and ride with it without the gun to see if you get stopped to be checked.
terb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Thanks for all the input. I've spoken about this with a officers from various agencies and didn't get a concise answer as to the actual law regarding transporting a shotgun on a motorcycle. Some of these guys had been in law enforcement for many years, and had never experienced this scenario. So I'm guessing if I do get pulled over, the officer is not likely to be familiar with the exact law, so I should be. This is what I've found so far...

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code sections 30510, 30515, or 30520 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 16850, 25610, and 30945, subdivision (g).
Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
MVP
Dirt Noob

Oddometer: 15
Asking cops about the law is silly. They don't know the law. They are not lawyers. They will tell you the wrong thing and you will get fucked.

Open carry of all firearms is illegal in Ca. Concealed carry is illegal without a permit. To transport any firearm it should be unloaded and in a locked container. A locked container can be your car trunk. I would just put the shotgun in a gun bag and put a lock on the two zippers.

You need to read the laws yourself. Don't trust anyone. Go to calguns.net for a base of people that will point you toward California law.

MVP screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 12:39 AM
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #11
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Calguns is a website that has lots of good info about guns laws in California and I'm sure this question has come up there.

EDIT, Didn't see the last sentence from the above poster, calguns x2.

rollinrob screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 07:41 AM
rollinrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Asking cops about the law is silly. They don't know the law. They are not lawyers. They will tell you the wrong thing and you will get fucked.

Open carry of all firearms is illegal in Ca. Concealed carry is illegal without a permit. To transport any firearm it should be unloaded and in a locked container. A locked container can be your car trunk. I would just put the shotgun in a gun bag and put a lock on the two zippers.

You need to read the laws yourself. Don't trust anyone. Go to calguns.net for a base of people that will point you toward California law.
Trying to clarify here. Open carry of all LOADED firearms, right? I found THIS which even outlaws open carry of UNLOADED HANDGUNS but I couldn't find anything about rifles/shotguns. I went to Calguns and maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything firm about rifle/shotgun unloaded open carry.

You're right, cops can't know everything...neither do lawyers. Both tend to specialize in certain areas of the law with a general knowledge of other things. I'm a perfect example....not current on gun laws but I can run down international money laundering and a bunch of other financial crimes 'cause that's what I've specialized in for 15 of the last 26 years.

If you trust a lawyers advice without checking it yourself....not a good idea.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
Calguns is a website that has lots of good info about guns laws in California and I'm sure this question has come up there.

EDIT, Didn't see the last sentence from the above poster, calguns x2.
This is a good suggestion. In fact, after reading this, I started a thread on Calguns, asking this same basic question. So far, the replies have only reinforced the concept that the laws tend to put motorcycles in the same category as all other vehicles. To quote myself in that Calgun thread...

"In my opinion, the lack of laws being written to directly define motorcycle firearm carry leaves a lot up to law enforcement and judicial interpretation. Yes, a motorcycle is a "vehicle" so one could try to consider it covered by the laws written to address "vehicles". But in many ways, a motorcycle is very different from a 4-wheeled vehicle, especially when it comes to placing items out of reach, out of view, or locked away."

VintageThumper screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 07:11 PM
VintageThumper is offline   Reply With Quote