ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
GSAJunkie OP
Gone riding....

Oddometer: 104
Southern CA riders (Santa Barbara/Ventura County area)

To all my SoCal riders I need some advice on a ride in the Los Padres Forest specifically in the mountains of Santa Barbara. I have ridden Gibraltar Rd and both West and East Camino Cielo Rd. I am familiar with Big Caliente and Hot Springs as well. What I am looking to do is ride E. Camino Cielo to Romero Camuesa Rd to Divide Peak then ride Divide Peak Route for a ways. Looking at it on Google Earth makes it appear to be doable on a big bike but then I’ve learned in the past that those Earth views can be very deceiving LOL. Anyone with experience riding that route on a big bike??
Old 05-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
tubebender
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 120
My son and I rode a few miles of it a couple of months ago, but on smaller (650 cc) bikes.
It's an dead end OHV trail, so there is a gate at Romero Camuesa. As it's not maintained, it's essentially a 1 track line.

I'd say it's do-able on a bigger bike, but I would not recommend it if you are riding alone. If you did it on a weekend, I'd say no way because of the numerous blind corners. But that's just me.

Have you tried the other end of Camuesa Rd - the Paradise Rd side? Much nicer. I've ridden my Super Tenere on that. Another dead end OHV trail, it's in much better shape.

Years ago, decades actually, you could do a nice loop - used to ride my GL1000 on it.
tubebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
condor-machinist
el dirt hombre

Oddometer: 103
Divide Peak

If you take East Camino Cielo to the end, where it takes a left and turns to Dirt. Go down that for about 4 miles and Divide trail is just before the first gate on the right. There is a trial sign. It's a one way trail, out above Carpenteria. About 4 miles out it gets abit rocky and rutted. You can see it on Google earth. I always go with a friend when I take this trail as it's a bit of a challenge for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
skymon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Pretty tricky past the power lines (bout 8 miles from gate)

Ive got an xr400 and I've had a bit of trouble at times getting up some of the steeper loose grapefruit-size rocky sections. I'm a pretty novice rider but I think anyone would struggle getting a big bike to the very end.

At least take a buddy.
Attached Images

skymon is offline   Reply With Quote