ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #46
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
but there's one spot between TWoS & Tellico before you get to Ducktown that you can't travel on by MC. It's gated and I don't think its ever been allowed for a long time. I think it was West Cow Pen rd or something? There is an easier by pass before you get there, but didn't think we would need it. Instead of back tracking to the bypass, we ended up finding another way that took us into the south side of Ducktown.
I really want to know more about this. I was looking at your SPOT track earlier and noticed that youse guys went south at Ducktown instead of west. That put you on an entirely different track in the Cohutta Wilderness - one that I haven't tried. The route goes west from Ducktown on 64 for ~7.5 miles and then turns left across the dam to NF-45 (the TN side is called the Big Frog Wilderness).

spot

SM500

the turn
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report

andy29847 screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 03:14 PM
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #47
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I really want to know more about this. I was looking at your SPOT track earlier and noticed that youse guys went south at Ducktown instead of west. That put you on an entirely different track in the Cohutta Wilderness - one that I haven't tried. The route goes west from Ducktown on 64 for ~7.5 miles and then turns left across the dam to NF-45 (the TN side is called the Big Frog Wilderness).

spot

SM500

the turn
Well, technically, we were traveling clockwise on the route, so we were going north there. But yes, we came in from the South of Ducktown. We probably could have hooked back up with the route and came out west by that dam off of 64, but we were starving and it had already been a long day so we opted to just find the shortest route to ducktown. Let me find the exact area and I'll post it up where the gate is.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #48
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Cowpen Road Gate

Okay, here's where the gate is in the circle that's marked below. It's way point 218 on your revised map. It's called E Cowpen Trail on Google Maps - http://goo.gl/maps/SthpV We ended up following that USFS 64 (aka Hwy 2) which is gravel all the way to where it intersects with FS22 and Jack's River Rd. We debated on taking FS22 north from there, but we really had no idea if it went through. Jack's river didn't show that it went through either, so that left us with taking Hwy 2 East out to below Ducktown.

In hindsight, it probably would have been better to just back track to the bypass (you had on the original map) that ran west of there on USFS 64 (aka Conasuga Rd) and take that west to catch back up to the track.

We did talk to other guys that ran into the gate too, and they ending up taking FS22 and said it was a blast, but they did run into road closed signs for some bridge work, but were able to get around it. Other than the bridge work that is currently taking place, that might be a good alternate?

One of the guys in their group also said the Jacks River Rd goes through and follows the river the entire way, although no map I'm looking at currently shows that? It would take some exploring to figure out if that actually does go through or not?

So have you ridden this E Cowpen Rd before?

This was the general direction we headed as best we could just to make Ducktown and get some food. One of the 3 ladies with us was pretty beat by this point too, so she was ready to just ride the highway to camp so her and one other guy followed her to camp while the rest of us went on.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 08:17 PM
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #49
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

I must have gotten off track when I was making the "mproved" version. I was on the wrong roads between waypoints 216 and 219. Version 3 is coming. Sorry. Glad y'all got out of the Cohutta for some food.

correct track matches what you posted above.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #50
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 46
That section on FS64 is a trailhead for the Benton-Mckay trail. I ran into that last year when they had a section of FS64 closed because of slide damage. Jack River rd does go through and winds its way up toward Copperhill. FS45 that crosses the Ocoee at the dam hooks up with FS221 and that road will take you across the Big Frog Wilderness. Lots of good terrain that's not to difficult to navigate. FS221 intersects with Jacks River Rd.on the east end so it's possible to make a big loop-just make sure you have plenty of fuel cause there aint much out there...
'03 SV1000S
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #51
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

McFarland & Smith Mountain Loops along with the Lost Dam & Leaky Pipe

This is some extra stuff I'm happy to share my tracks if you ever feel like adding it to your map. I'm definitely the more "adventerous" dual sport rider and since we were all on small bikes, we were looking for as much dirt as possible. I've spent a lot of time around Tellico riding so I was familiar with that area.

This is the McFarland loop & Smith Mountain Loop and there really are lots of options through here and all of this is fun gravel/dirt to ride. Even that Lost Creek Rd is gravel and goes through. There are a couple interesting things here to see and do depending on what you are riding and your skill level. In this area, you'll find 1 of two legal single track trails in the TN NF. Trail 81 & 82 are legal motorcycle & horse trails approved and signed as such by the NFS. So this isn't some "trail" through the NF you'll get in trouble for riding. They are legal MC trails. There used to be a 3rd call Trail 136, but it became so badly eroded years ago, that it was closed by the NFS. The trails are actually fairly close to one another as the crow flies, but they are separated by the Hiwassee river which makes them hard to do back to back without something like this and this route worked out perfect to incorporate both of them on different days. Here are some good tracks of the 2 trails - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281107

As an FYI, Trail 81 is the harder of the two and much more likely to get you in trouble if you screw up. It's really meant for small dual sport bikes. Even a good KLR rider would find it very challenging in places. It's also harder to run N to S since you have a couple good hill climbs in there although that was the way we ran it. It's definitely not something you want to do in the wet.

So your original track had us staying across the bottom on Old US 64. However, There are basically 2 different loops you can do. Smith Mtn is a fun loop and takes you to the south side of Trail 81. McFarland is a longer loop and takes you past FS23A where you'll find the "leaky pipe" that basically goes from one mountain to the next. It's also where you'll find the "lost dam" and "Aztec Ruins". And just past that point is where you intersect with the northern entrance to Trail 81. We skipped the leaky pipe this trip, but the Aztec ruins and lost dam are pretty cool to see and not far off the FS road.

This is the Aztec Ruins & Lost Dam. My wife did some research when we got home to see what the story was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyangel View Post
On the subject of the "Aztec Ruins" http://hiwassee.net/vanillaforum/com...nID=298&page=1

"The photos show one of the old portals to the tunnel which connects Apalachia Dam to Apalachia Powerhouse. This was done in 1941-1943. The entrance was once much larger, allowing for a tram car to haul the waste (granite, etc.) material from the tunnel as it was being built. This portal was concreted shut upon completion of the project and only a small steel door was left for an inspection entrance. The excavated material was dumped down the hill towards the road that goes down to McFarland. The quarry Don mentons above is actually the granite from the tunnel excavation that was dumped down the hill. The road down to the river goes to the old village of McFarland. A community called Butler Branch existed here from 1840 until 1890. The Knoxville Southern Railroad built the line up the river in 1890 and this village became the railroad town re-named McFarland. The other concrete structure was used to off load the tram from the tunnel portal. I believe there was an elevated railway and the tram from the tunnel stopped on top of the concrete structure and dumped its load into another tram below. This other tram took the material around the hill and dumped it down the steep mountainside.There is another portal up the road to the switchyard above the Powerhouse.

There was once about fifteen houses, a hotel, a railroad section headquarters, a post office and a store at McFarland. In addition, there were another fifteen or twenty houses scattered throughout the area, most of them being in the area of the Butler Cemetery. A school stood across the road from the entrance to the Butler Cemetery. Some of the death dates in the Butler Cemetery are in the 1860s or earlier. It was settled by Butlers, Richies, Kirklands and a few others in 1840, shortly after the Cherokee were removed.

-Thurman Parish aka Tnwoodsman "
Here's a pic I took one time so you can see how big that concrete structure is

And the Lost Dam

This is the "Leaky Pipe". You can also drop down below it and then ride to the other side.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #52
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Trail 82 Loop

As mentioned above, Trail 82 is another Legal MC trail in the NF. You can see in my picture below how I modified the track to include it. I knew not everyone in our group would be up for it, so I left them an easy gravel road to travel and meet us. BTW, we actually didn't do the entire Trail 82. It actually runs all the way into Hwy 64, but I didn't want to make the others wait for us too long so we jumped on where it crosses Old TN-68. There's also a good climb up to Buck Bald on FS198 just past Trail 82 entrance on Old TN-68. You can go up that and come back down again.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #53
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

FS434 Shortcut

Next up is FS434. This is a pretty challenging section of double track that you only want to ride from S to N. You enter it from N. River Rd and it dumps you out on the Cherohala Skyway right behind a guard rail. Take my word for it, you do not want to run this trail N to S entering it off the skyway. There is one hell of a rocky climb that would give you a good challenge on a dirt bike, much less anything bigger in the DS category. That section down hill would be doable on a larger bike, but could definitely be tricky and you'll probably be bashing your skid plate on a few rocks. This is also one you don't want to do when its terribly muddy. It is a lot of fun though. There are a couple other paths that peter out, so you have to watch for the signs to let you know you are on the right trail.

Also in this section, I added in a little more dirt to connect FS434 and a fun section of twisty pavement that bypassed some of the skyway.

I have video of my wife crashing on her CRF250L on the rocky down hill section. I''ll see if I can find it.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #54
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

NF-711 Loop

Finally, we have NF-711. This actually part of the TET and I think how I first found it. When I first rode this years ago it was 16 miles of "broken" pavement with pot holes and gravel and quite interesting to say the least. It was almost like they were allowing the road to just go back to its original unpaved condition. The conditions were constantly changing making it an interesting ride. Then in 2012, the NFS paved about 6-7 miles of the south end of 711 so that section is all fresh brand new black top and even being on a dual sport, its quite fun to play on.

- http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/...TELPRDB5390017

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 07:27 AM
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #55
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
The latest map - corrects an error between waypoints 216 and 219.

Gas available intervals: Starting from the Ironhorse - going counterclockwise:

Ironhorse to Fontana Gas 15.1 mi
Fontana Gas to Tellico Gas 127 mi alt gas - ~8 miles from waypoint 122 to Tellico Plains (95 miles total)
Tellico Gas to River Gas 28.6 mi
River Gas to Ducktown 26.8 mi
Ducktown to Cohutta Gas 54.0 mi
Cohutta Gas to Ellijay Gas 10.6 mi
Ellijay Gas to Suches Gas 41.0 mi
Suches Gas to Hiwassee Gas 52.0 mi
Hiwassee Gas to Dillard Gas 33.4 mi
Dillard Gas to Hwy 28 Gas 70.1 mi
Hwy 28 Gas to Ironhorse 11.6 mi

Please send me your feedback, pictures, and/or ride reports.
Just as an FYI if your running the loop clockwise, there are 2 places to get gas if you are getting close on that 127 mile section. Both of these places might be seasonal, so keep that in mind if you are running this during the winter months.

1. There is gas on the Hwy 143 about 4.2 miles from waypoint 108 headed towards 129. This is Thunder Mountain General Store - http://goo.gl/maps/3OmvI

2. There is gas on Hwy 129 between waypoints 106 & 107 call Outland Dragon's Gate Gas & Grocery. It's actually Ethanol free gas although it's pricey. - http://goo.gl/maps/j9yhF

Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #56
andy29847 OP
Dirt Road Rider

Quote:
From Blue Lightning: This is some extra stuff I'm happy to share my tracks if you ever feel like adding it to your map. I'm definitely the more "adventerous" dual sport rider and since we were all on small bikes, we were looking for as much dirt as possible. I've spent a lot of time around Tellico riding so I was familiar with that area.

Thanks for posting the extra tracks. I have ridden some of your tracks and want to ride all of them. I probably will not add them to the SM500 map. The SM500 was planned to be tracks for a tour. The length and difficultly of each days ride is intended to be suitable for a wide range of rider skills. While I think it is great for riders to add on sections, I don't want to put that stuff on the base maps.

My first ride in this area was an enduro in Tellico Plains around 1985. I wish I had the tracks for that. Whenever I have talked to local riders my age (61), I ask if they know about the race/race route. I suspect that FS 81 & 82 come from the group of guys that put on the race in 1985.

I have been exploring the Smokey Mountains on dual purpose bikes since 2003. It used to be a lot harder to get information about where to ride. Together, Garmin, the internet, and ADVrider have combined to give us thousands of riding options. It is fun to be a part of boom.

Then:

Now:
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
MOAB Ride Report
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM   #57
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

That's cool. I'm glad you shared the route and I definitely understand about keeping it open for all skill levels.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #58
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,385
Andy, Me and 6 other riders just finished a route based on your SM500.
I added in a few few roads in the Big Frog area that I hadn't been on before, and some more between Tellico and Robinsville, but stayed with your route mostly.
We also ran into the gate at south end of E Cowpen rd, so we re-routed on W Cowpen and joined back up just south of Tn line.
We met a Ranger on W Cowpen and he assured us that if caught on E cowpen road, we would stand in front of a judge to make payment.
I also added in Winding stairs rd (north of Wayah rd), but ran into another locked gate there too.
It was a great ride,, thanks for posting it.
BTW, Charlies Creek rd is getting more interesting now. Washouts are deeper and wider and rocks sticking up higher
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #59
XLRPD
OldiWan

Oddometer: 3
Just saw this Andy. Looks like I have some new roads to discover this summer. Good work....
XLRPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #60
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Thumb

Thanks for this Andy. I dumb-luck stumbled on this thread and since I live just north of Blairsville this is in my neighborhood. I really appreciate you sharing this.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote