Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #151
MazeWSP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsland View Post
I had the SW Motech bars on my standard 800 and was really happy with them. Do you have any more photos with different angles of those SW Motech bars? Maybe from head on and from the top ie rider view. They look pretty neat.
http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/MazeWSP/media/IMG_4365_zpsfb532810.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo IMG_4365_zpsfb532810.jpg[/IMG]

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/MazeWSP/media/IMG_4364_zpse92002f7.jpg.html" target="_blank"> photo IMG_4364_zpse92002f7.jpg[/IMG]

best i can do right now will post better pics later
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #152
Dorsland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Those are cool and show me what I needed to see, thanks. I reckon these follow the lines of the Adventure better than most top bars available. Plus, you don't need to remove the factory lower bars which is a plus for me. I also like that they don't bolt onto the motor casings, rather onto the frame.

I'm going to price a pair of those here in South Africa
Dorsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #153
Mapco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
installed the H&Bs today

Mapco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #154
athomasvt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I just installed the SW Motech crash bars on the GSA. Much beefier than the SW Motechs I had on my klr. I'm headed out for the COBDR on Monday, so I will see how they hold up.
athomasvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #155
tomman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Detail pics of the Adventure-Spec bars

These are the Adventure-Spec bars specific to the F800 GSA.

I had to wait a little bit for them to be shipped from UK because by the time I ordered them the North American stock was sold out.

My slight hesitation with buying these was because I had to uninstall the stock engine protection bars and I thought I might be giving up some protection lower on the bike. It turns out there isn't really a whole lot of difference. I took some pictures to try and illustrate that, but you'll have to imagine the actual difference.

Tall riders with long legs may find their knees are too close or contacting the bars. I'm a shorter fellow and it's not a problem for me but I can feel the bar there when I'm moving around on the bike a lot.

I haven't yet tested them with a crash or drop but I'm sure it will happen at some point and that's why I bought them. If I find anything worth noting I'll share with the group.

Now for the pictures:

The next photos show the difference in lower protection. Imagine the silver bars mounted in the same bolt locations as the new black bars that are installed. HOWEVER, the silver bars wouldn't really sit outside of where the black bars are. I just couldn't fit them where they would actually sit because the black bars are already there. Again, there's not much difference in lower coverage. The main difference is the silver bars wrap around to the rear and the black ones don't:

And back to overall pictures:

tomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #156
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 462
Anyone seen these new stainless bars from Givi? Their part number
TNH5110OX

shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #157
EwanMcGregor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
Anyone seen these new stainless bars from Givi? Their part number
TNH5110OX

If I were to buy an 800 Adventure tomorrow, the Givi bars would be my first choice.

However, while I'm waiting to buy one, I'm eager to hear news of Touratech bars for this model to appear. The bars for the standard F 800 GS make it look much more chunkier. Those bars for the Adventure version would be amazing.

EwanMcGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #158
shedmarket
Chris

I have been waiting for the Touratech or Altrider bars since I bought this bike in April, mainly due to them being stainless to match the bars that came with the bike as well as there being less chance of rust problems. Both are claiming to be bringing some out "soon" but it appears there is no hurry.

The Australian importer of these bars has quoted me $399 RRP, which I know will be a shitload less than the Touratech ones, and probably Altrider. He has yet to come back to me as to when they will be available. I will advise when he does.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #159
EwanMcGregor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
I have been waiting for the Touratech or Altrider bars since I bought this bike in April, mainly due to them being stainless to match the bars that came with the bike as well as there being less chance of rust problems.

Same reason as me for wanting stainless bars. I don't like the black ones at all.

Do you have a thread about your bike? I'd love to see what other goodies you've got for it. I thinking of the original BMW panniers and the Givi 58l top-case, although I'm not sure if I'll be too big for the bike.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #160
shedmarket
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanMcGregor View Post
Same reason as me for wanting stainless bars. I don't like the black ones at all.

Do you have a thread about your bike? I'd love to see what other goodies you've got for it. I thinking of the original BMW panniers and the Givi 58l top-case, although I'm not sure if I'll be too big for the bike.
Sorry mate, no thread about my bike. As yet I haven't done much with it. Swapped the Pivot Pegs, 50 mm Rox Risers and Side Kicker extending side stand (http://aksengineering.com/sidekicker BEST thing since sliced bread) over from the old bike and put a hugger and front guard extender on from Ilium Works (http://www.iliumworks.com/index.cfm bugger looking up their site, now I will be $100 out of pocket for their new hand guards, damn you Ewan). Also added Garmin Zumo 390 LM GPS (pissed off they bought out the 590 a month later, you get that) and fitted it with the SW Motec bar mount (https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/in...roduct_id=1396), again, half the price of the Touratech mount, doesn't have a lock but we are all (fairly) honest here in Oz so I didn't see that as important.

For the panniers I went all BMW aluminium ones. Had the BMW top box on the last bike and never had a problem with it. Had the Touratech side boxes but wanted to stay genuine this time. I also didn't like the way you fixed them to the bike from the inside, it meant you had to at least half empty the boxes to take them off, the genuine ones lock on from the outside, much easier. Even though Touratech make them, there is a vast difference in quality from what you get through BMW and the Touratech ones I had. One key for everything is also a great bonus.

I got the BMW inner bags and while they look good quality and are supposedly waterproof with carry straps and straps so you can tie the bags to the top of the box they are not a tailored bag to suit the box. Particularly the bags for the side boxes, where both boxes have several angular cut outs to miss the fuel tank, the bags are basic rectangular. Very disappointing, even more so considering the price. My 2005 955i Tiger had the Triumph factory panniers and inner bags, the panniers were oval shaped and the bags were a perfect tailored fit. I expected BMW to be better.

Last thing left really is a good set of bars and that will be who gets their's on the market first, Givi are looking best at this stage.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #161
EwanMcGregor
Adventurer

Thanks so much for the detailed answer and for all the links and I'm sorry about the hand guards. :)

I'm rather disappointed to hear about the inner bags not being tailor made to fit the panniers, especially considering how much they cost.

If you get the Givi bars, don't forget to post a photo here.

Thanks again. ;)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #162
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 883
Question Adventure Spec bars

Ewan,

Welcome to the site. Everyone on here is very cool about helping riders. I am currently using the Adventurespec crash bars on my 2014 F800GSA. I could not have been happier with them. I went with them because the reviews that I was able to read were all very good and it seemed like no one else out there at the time had crashbars available for the F800GSA at the time.

The install went very easy and the quality was spot on. I stand 5'11" and have had no issues with legroom clearance with the bars but I could see it possibly being an issue with a taller rider.

Good luck with whatever choice you make :-)
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #163
EwanMcGregor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy View Post
Ewan,

Welcome to the site. Everyone on here is very cool about helping riders. I am currently using the Adventurespec crash bars on my 2014 F800GSA. I could not have been happier with them. I went with them because the reviews that I was able to read were all very good and it seemed like no one else out there at the time had crashbars available for the F800GSA at the time.

The install went very easy and the quality was spot on. I stand 5'11" and have had no issues with legroom clearance with the bars but I could see it possibly being an issue with a taller rider.

Good luck with whatever choice you make :-)

Thanks so much for the welcome. I haven't made a proper presentation of myself as I've been reading the forum in the shade, so to speak. However, now that I've sold my VFR I'm half way to becoming an adventure rider... I just need the right bike. When I buy it I'll introduce myself properly.

I don't want to bomb this thread talking about myself. I'll just say that the Givi bars are currently number one on my list of things to add to the 800 Adventure. It's just a shame Touratech are taking so long to produce their version for this bike.

Once again, many thanks for all the info. :)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #164
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 883
No problem with info

Touratech seems to work in their own special time zone. I think they make good parts but sometimes I really wonder about how they come up with that crazy pricing system. I really love the AdventureSpec bars that I am currently using. I am sure whatever choice you make to go on your bike you will be more than happy as long as it goes on an F800GS Adventure

If you are ever in the North Carolina area, please give me a shout out and we can go riding. I just hope we have no need to use the crash bars
Old 09-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #165
EwanMcGregor
Adventurer

You are very kind and I'd love to accept the offer but I'm from Spain, so I'd have a bit of difficult to get the bike over to North Carolina unfortunately. But stranger things have happened so you never know, maybe someday. ;)