User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #31
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,449
Stop teasing and install them already
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #32
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
I ordered H+B through Wunderlich.

Despite the website indicating they are 'in stock', Wunderlich is OUT OF STOCK on these. I'll save my complaint about their business practices (failing to notify customers either before or after purchase about what is not in stock) for another time.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #33
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 427
You are completely right,
Same goes to Twistle Throttle, no only they don't let customers know about back order items they also advertise part not suitable for GSA8, like Pelican case system!!
I call them to ask for the cases and they said that they will fix it on their website but they don't do it. All this is no good at all!!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
peteace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Stop teasing and install them already
Sorry, I couldn't do it on saturday, had a little hangover from pre-christmas party.

But today the installation didn't complete, because H&B had forgotten some screws from the kit (all of the M6x45 type), which were supposed to be included. I found one suitable so at least I could install the top mount and try the fitting.

The bars have to be removed before removing/installing the plastics, but that was already expected from the looks.

It's kind of yelling for auxiliary driving lights to be mounted on the bars, isn't it?

There is a small clearance issue with a plastic plate. Bad thing is that there is an edge, which theoretically could resist the movement of handlebars. The edge can hardly be felt on the handlebars, and some sanding of the plastic plate would smoothen the edge out. But let's see first what kind of answer the seller will give...

I'm not very impressed with the quality of H&B, if I compare these to the Adventure Spec crashbars I had on my previous F800GS.

Welding seam is very rough inside the pipe, and it scratched the paint off from other tube at the top mount, where the two tubes are interconnected.

The way the paint was tearing off on the scratch, I think the painting quality is not very good either, and after first touchdown it could be tearing off in big flakes. The scratch itself will be hidden inside other tube.

peteace screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 08:15 AM
peteace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #35
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteace View Post
Sorry, I couldn't do it on saturday, had a little hangover from pre-christmas party.

I'm not very impressed with the quality of H&B, if I compare these to the Adventure Spec crashbars I had on my previous F800GS.

Welding seam is very rough inside the pipe, and it scratched the paint off from other tube at the top mount, where the two tubes are interconnected.

The way the paint was tearing off on the scratch, I think the painting quality is not very good either, and after first touchdown it could be tearing off in big flakes. The scratch itself will be hidden inside other tube.
Well let me be the first to thank you for the detailed review and the pics! Hope they will hold up better than your first impression let guess =/.

And wtf about that christmas party? Did mother-jesus deliver early in finland?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 12-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #36
peteace
Adventurer

Quote:
Well let me be the first to thank you for the detailed review and the pics! Hope they will hold up better than your first impression let guess =/.
You're welcome. I also hope they'll hold up better than the first impression. They're wide enough to protect even the handlebars, so maybe there's no need to replace those original completely plastic hand protectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre
And wtf about that christmas party? Did mother-jesus deliver early in finland?
It was pre-christmas party, that was only english word I could find for it (pikkujoulu in Finnish, literally it would translate to "small christmas"). Very common happening in Finland at this time, usually leads to a hangover. But excellent comment anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #37
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteace View Post
You're welcome. I also hope they'll hold up better than the first impression. They're wide enough to protect even the handlebars, so maybe there's no need to replace those original completely plastic hand protectors.

pikkujoulu in Finnish, literally it would translate to "small christmas"

Oh sure Pikkuloulu... should have mentionned that earlier...
My dictionnary translates that into "unavoidable psychologic preparation to celebrate x-mas" sounds like a lot of fun adding: "it's like a little mariage where you are allowed to puke; the only time of the year where you'll drink a beer with your boss naked in a sauna". For a country where you can't buy a beer past 6pm you know how to celebrate the festive season
Quote:

Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #38
peteace
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh sure Pikkuloulu... should have mentionned that earlier...
My dictionnary translates that into "unavoidable psychologic preparation to celebrate x-mas" sounds like a lot of fun adding: "it's like a little mariage where you are allowed to puke; the only time of the year where you'll drink a beer with your boss naked in a sauna". For a country where you can't buy a beer past 6pm you know how to celebrate the festive season
Sounds like you have actually experienced the pikkujoulu!

But I have to correct that the restriction starts at 9 pm. I think in Norway it may start at 6 pm on some days.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #39
Aquafire
RMSR

Hey Peteace- if you have any more photos of the bike with the bars, preferably from the side or 3/4 angle, please post them. There aren't many pics of these bars on this bike on the interwebs. :)
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #40
peteace
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post
Hey Peteace- if you have any more photos of the bike with the bars, preferably from the side or 3/4 angle, please post them. There aren't many pics of these bars on this bike on the interwebs. :)
Sorry, I didn't take any more as the installation was not completed. But I will take more photos (of the bike with bars ) next weekend, so stay tuned...
Old 12-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #41
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
I purchased a set of H&B Bars from Wunderlich and from the get-go the guy told me they were out of stock but they would be getting in a shipment from Europe. So I knew going in that they didn't have any. While I'm first on the list for the new shipment...it has yet to arrive 13 days after making payment...which sucks since I'm heading down to Mexico on Friday.

While ordering off a website is convenient...I like to get a human on the phone, check stock and then decide to lay down the cash...or not.

So with Wunderlich, they did communicate that they didn't have any in stock, they did place me on a list (as of this morning there are 9 guys behind me now) and for the delay they refunded the shipping charges.

Disappointed in the fact that I don't have them yet, but satisfied with their customer service.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #42
Aquafire
RMSR

GP: PM sent to you.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #43
peteace
Adventurer

Thumbs down Hepco & Becker bars not good on my experience

I really had issues trying to get the Hepco & Becker bars to fit, but finally was able to get a somewhat decent result.

The clearance to side plastics is about 1 cm at the tightest point (pics below), so I guess it won't need a big hit to touch (and break?) the side plastics.

It was not possible to mount the upper bolts first, because then the left side bar was badly misaligend and was constantly going to touch the side plastics.

Here's what I had to do:

• I had to grind off the pipe welding seam remains inside the right bar with Dremel, to get the left bar fit decently inside the right bar at the top mount.
  • The lower mounting points had to be set first. Tight enough so they won't move on side direction, but it was still possible to turn the bars up and down easily.
  • The upper mounts didn't align well, so the bars had to be forced to get the bolts through the holes. There will be some tension in the bars now, but the direction is now downwards.
  • Probably because of the tension, the plastic part which was already touching the top mount, was now even more stuck. There was now so much friction that it slightly resisted turning of the handlebar!
  • The plastic part had to be removed and the edge had to be ground off. At same time I relocated the mounting holes of the plastic part to get it mount a little more backwards. After this it wass still touching the top mount, but without any friction and effect on the handlebar.

After my experience, I am definitely unhappy about the quality on these bars. I really would like to hear about other people's experience on these.

The Wunderlich service in Germany was not too good either, I called to them and they promised to call back on same day, but they didn't.

Grind the edge of plastic part, so it won't get stuck and restrict the movement of handlebar.

The mounting holes of plastic part can be relocated to get it mount more backwards and ease off the friction to top mount.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #44
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Nice report. I have a set on order and I'll let you know if I run into the same problems...probably will.

I really good friend of mine, a lifelong fabricator of motorcycle parts and bikes has a saying I have adopted as my own...

"YOU HAVE TO MODIFY EVERYTHING"

Anytime I buy something I remember this and if it goes on easy...great...if not, I'm prepared to do some modifications.

I was at the Long Beach, CA International Motorcycle Show today and talked to the owner/President of Touratech and he said to expect both their crash bars and ZegaPro II panniers in 2014.

I liked the TT bars because they are stainless and silver. The Zega Pro IIs have a simply way to attach and detach now. I like it.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #45
itsybitsyspidy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Nice report. I have a set on order and I'll let you know if I run into the same problems...probably will.

I really good friend of mine, a lifelong fabricator of motorcycle parts and bikes has a saying I have adopted as my own...

"YOU HAVE TO MODIFY EVERYTHING"

Anytime I buy something I remember this and if it goes on easy...great...if not, I'm prepared to do some modifications.

I was at the Long Beach, CA International Motorcycle Show today and talked to the owner/President of Touratech and he said to expect both their crash bars and ZegaPro II panniers in 2014.

I liked the TT bars because they are stainless and silver. The Zega Pro IIs have a simply way to attach and detach now. I like it.
Hi GPHusky250, has your crash bar arrived? My local dealer isn't bringing it in so I'm thinking of ordering online...
itsybitsyspidy is offline   Reply With Quote