Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #46
Kamala OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,425
I spoke to Touratech the other day and they told me that the Upper Crash Bars were in engineering and that they expect them to be in the USA sometime in mid to late January. With a recent 14 inches of snow and another 8 due today I guess its not that much of a priority right now!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #47
itsybitsyspidy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
I spoke to Touratech the other day and they told me that the Upper Crash Bars were in engineering and that they expect them to be in the USA sometime in mid to late January. With a recent 14 inches of snow and another 8 due today I guess its not that much of a priority right now!
that's great news. might just wait it out and see what touratech brings, then. ;)
itsybitsyspidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #48
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
UPDATE...I just received an invoice and a UPS Tracking Number for a set of H&B bars for an F800GSA.

Earlier today I was told that they had just 1 set in today's shipment...shipments come in every Tuesday.

If you are waiting on a set, I would call every Tuesday to make sure if any are in, they follow the list of those waiting.

Mark
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #49
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

H&B Bars came today...installation was fairly easy. I took a number of photos that I will try to post tomorrow.

Couple of notes....the paint on them seems somewhat brittle for the lack of a better term and where the halves mate, they didn't fit together perfectly...which is not much of a concern since they are secured independently to a supplied bracket.

Instructions were vague, so I just looked here at the photos and it went together, as I said, pretty quickly.

Took about 45 minutes.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #50
itsybitsyspidy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
H&B Bars came today...installation was fairly easy. I took a number of photos that I will try to post tomorrow.

Couple of notes....the paint on them seems somewhat brittle for the lack of a better term and where the halves mate, they didn't fit together perfectly...which is not much of a concern since they are secured independently to a supplied bracket.

Instructions were vague, so I just looked here at the photos and it went together, as I said, pretty quickly.

Took about 45 minutes.
How did you find the quality of the bars, paint aside? Lookin' forward to your photos! :)
itsybitsyspidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #51
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsyspidy View Post
How did you find the quality of the bars, paint aside? Lookin' forward to your photos! :)
I didn't find any fault with the quality of the bars. I did notice that if you're looking from the front of the bike, the right mounting tab is welded at a slight angle...not sure why.

I have a great friend who is a Husqvarna mechanic, painter, restorer and talented fabricator....his mantra...."You Have To Modify Everything".

I took that quote to heart and yes, you do have to modify things occasionally, force something here, tweak there.

On this exercise, you mount up one side, then you mount the other...and then look how close the bars are to the plastic. If they are too close, you take out a dead blow hammer, and persuade the lower mount to move outboard, opening up a little more space between the bars and the plastic.

In the end...these bars are designed to be sacrificial...so if they get dinged up when I drop the bike, a little sand paper and spray paint and we're back in business.

Can't get to the photos tonight...relatives from Mexico are visiting, but hopefully tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #52
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

H&B Crash Bars

Here are some photos of the Hepco & Becker bars being installed on an F800GSA.

Photos are pretty self explanatory. Where the paint came off at the junction of the left and right hand sections, probably mostly my fault as I prefitted them off the bike and had I not, I would have only scraped the paint back as far as necessary. I threw on a clamp just to cover up the missing paint, but have since removed it and will just repaint the bars there to prevent rust.

When installing the left and right halves, install the lower mounts first...loosely and then attach the upper mount...loosely. Repeat for the opposite side, mating the two together.

Where the lower mounts connect to the existing factory bars, once installed you may find you need to move the clamps toward the outside to gain clearance between the plastic radiator shrouds and the bars...use a dead blow hammer and you can move them easily.

Any questions, just ask....Mark
Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #53
RvGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
nice job,......and now paint the lower OEM crashbar black!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #54
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,217
wait just a thought... would these new lower bars work on the Touratech MEGATANK for the old 800GS series?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #55
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
wait just a thought... would these new lower bars work on the Touratech MEGATANK for the old 800GS series?
I think they are specific to the GSA....but it's a good question. The first thing I think you would run in to is that in order for these bars to work, they need to mount to the stock GSA lower crash bar. So you would first have to get that mounted on the 800GS series, then see if they work. Something is telling me they probably would not...unless the MegaTank had an equal or lesser footprint than the GSA.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #56
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvGS View Post
nice job,......and now paint the lower OEM crashbar black!
That lower crashbar is electro coated stainless steel...I think. Not sure if paint would adhere to it. I'll ask around.

Mark
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #57
jackjack700
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Here are some photos of the Hepco & Becker bars being installed on an F800GSA.

Photos are pretty self explanatory. Where the paint came off at the junction of the left and right hand sections, probably mostly my fault as I prefitted them off the bike and had I not, I would have only scraped the paint back as far as necessary. I threw on a clamp just to cover up the missing paint, but have since removed it and will just repaint the bars there to prevent rust.

When installing the left and right halves, install the lower mounts first...loosely and then attach the upper mount...loosely. Repeat for the opposite side, mating the two together.

Where the lower mounts connect to the existing factory bars, once installed you may find you need to move the clamps toward the outside to gain clearance between the plastic radiator shrouds and the bars...use a dead blow hammer and you can move them easily.

Any questions, just ask....Mark
Thanks for the photos, Mark! Sorry i'm a little curious (and probably a little off for an upper crash bar thread), is that the Altrider radiator guard you have there? The one for F800GS fits on the adventure model?
jackjack700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #58
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjack700 View Post
Thanks for the photos, Mark! Sorry i'm a little curious (and probably a little off for an upper crash bar thread), is that the Altrider radiator guard you have there? The one for F800GS fits on the adventure model?
Yes, it does fit...you have to let them know its for the adventure and they throw in a spacer for the lower mount...I believe.

Someone told me that I was supposed to take of the stock guard before installing the AltRider one...but I just left it on and haven't revisited that yet.

There's another company that makes a more stout guard...not as pretty, but it looks beefier. I can't remember the name, but I think they were out of Austrailia.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #59
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:

Someone told me that I was supposed to take of the stock guard before installing the AltRider one...but I just left it on and haven't revisited that yet.

Good luck.
The stock guard removal is for pre 2013 800GS models, as I recall.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #60
jackjack700
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Yes, it does fit...you have to let them know its for the adventure and they throw in a spacer for the lower mount...I believe.

There's another company that makes a more stout guard...not as pretty, but it looks beefier. I can't remember the name, but I think they were out of Austrailia.

Good luck.
Thanks for the clarification!
jackjack700 is offline   Reply With Quote