Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #61
pokey502
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
Someone told me that I was supposed to take of the stock guard before installing the AltRider one...but I just left it on and haven't revisited that yet.
Good luck.
Is that for airflow purposes?
pokey502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #62
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey502 View Post
Is that for airflow purposes?
I think so in theory, but I think it flows air fairly well, but maybe in the desert it might raise the temp a bit.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #63
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
The stock guard is moulded into to plastic on the underside of the fairing. The altrider instructions have you bolt on top of the stock rad guard. Like CCHOC said, that is the same for 2013+ F800GS non adventures too. After buying and installing the altrider one, I'm not sure I would buy one as I am not sure it is necessary. It does fit well though.
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #64
jackjack700
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60HzShuffle View Post
The stock guard is moulded into to plastic on the underside of the fairing. The altrider instructions have you bolt on top of the stock rad guard. Like CCHOC said, that is the same for 2013+ F800GS non adventures too. After buying and installing the altrider one, I'm not sure I would buy one as I am not sure it is necessary. It does fit well though.
You mean the stock one does just fine?
jackjack700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #65
60HzShuffle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I would be worried if there was no guard :) . I bought it so I put it on, felt like "belts and suspenders" to me
60HzShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #66
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

I've been guilty of putting an aftermarket part on a bike just because it was cool looking. This may be one of those instances, but if for some reason a good sized rock was kicked up into the stock plastic guard, I don't think it would stop it.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #67
jackjack700
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
I've been guilty of putting an aftermarket part on a bike just because it was cool looking. This may be one of those instances, but if for some reason a good sized rock was kicked up into the stock plastic guard, I don't think it would stop it.
lol that's the perfect reason to add it.
jackjack700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #68
pescatore
Wanderer

Oddometer: 43
Just installed the H&B guard on my GSA tonight. The instructions were awful, but this thread definitely had some helpful advice (thanks for that - you folks are the damn best!).

My thoughts: The guard went on kind of crooked - the left side was way closer to the body panels than the right side. It was actually touching until I wedged a folded up towel between the body and the guard, and pulled on it while tightening the clamp on that side. The two halves didn't really fit together without some serious beating with a mallet, maybe part of the reason it turned out a little uneven. The way it clamps to the lower guard really doesn't inspire confidence. I suspect if I go over with any amount of force, those clamps are not going to keep the guard in place and it probably won't do any good. Also the support bracket scrapes slightly against the existing plastic fork tray (not sure what it's called, but the plastic tray that mounts to the bottom of the triple clamp) when the front wheel is turned. I'm hoping this gets better over time. I might take it apart soon and shave the front edge of the tray a bit.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably wait for some of the other GSA guards to be released and see if they look higher quality or more protective.

Looks like we might get a warm weekend in Boston, so maybe I'll like it better on the road! Fingers crossed!

pescatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 AM   #69
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescatore View Post
Just installed the H&B guard on my GSA tonight. The instructions were awful, but this thread definitely had some helpful advice (thanks for that - you folks are the damn best!).

My thoughts: The guard went on kind of crooked - the left side was way closer to the body panels than the right side. It was actually touching until I wedged a folded up towel between the body and the guard, and pulled on it while tightening the clamp on that side. The two halves didn't really fit together without some serious beating with a mallet, maybe part of the reason it turned out a little uneven. The way it clamps to the lower guard really doesn't inspire confidence. I suspect if I go over with any amount of force, those clamps are not going to keep the guard in place and it probably won't do any good. Also the support bracket scrapes slightly against the existing plastic fork tray (not sure what it's called, but the plastic tray that mounts to the bottom of the triple clamp) when the front wheel is turned. I'm hoping this gets better over time. I might take it apart soon and shave the front edge of the tray a bit.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably wait for some of the other GSA guards to be released and see if they look higher quality or more protective.

Looks like we might get a warm weekend in Boston, so maybe I'll like it better on the road! Fingers crossed!
I had the same issue with clearance. What I did was use a deadblow hammer and tap the lower mounting clamps. After a couple of good taps, it provided the clearance on that I was looking for.

Last week my bike went over and the H&B bars did the job of protecting the bike, although the bark buster, footpeg and rear pannier mount took some light damage.

I have to remind myself that I'm not driving around a Porsche...essentially it's a dirt bike and it's going to take a few hits from time to time. :)

Someday, companies will catch up and provide alternatives to the H&B. But again, they did do their job in a tipover, however I'm not liking the paint...it's seem to be very brittle. I may take it all apart and have a local powder coating company do it right.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #70
pescatore
Wanderer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Last week my bike went over and the H&B bars did the job of protecting the bike, although the bark buster, footpeg and rear pannier mount took some light damage.

Sorry to hear you went over, but thanks for taking one for the team :) good to hear the bars held up and did their job.

Also, I totally agree about the paint. I put a towel over the bar and hit it with a rubber mallet and I definitely scuffed the finish a bit.
pescatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #71
Kamala OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,599
I spoke with Touratech this afternoon and got the same shuck and jive, "They still are in engineering in Germany and we have not been informed of any ETA". So much for the late January/February delivery.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #72
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,442
still no one tried the sw motech ones?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #73
villho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
If you can live without the OEM engine bars, I truly recommend the Adv spec crash bars for the little GSA.

A couple of photos from another thread.
villho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #74
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,442
awesome! Well now that ADV spec are out everyone is going to get them
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #75
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
I may take it all apart and have a local powder coating company do it right.
Save your money. We're not talking about rust infiltration, here. With dumping the bike on the bars, powder coating scratches and scrapes off like paint. In spite of my powder coat job, I still find a lick of sandpaper, newspaper slipped between the bars and the bike, and a few coats of black semi-gloss spray paint are the best value for keeping the bars "just like new!"

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote