Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #106
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
NMTrailBoss, Time to get the BLM Arizona Strip Map and start planning.
What maps DID you use for the primary planning for this trip?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #107
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,963
The best map for out there is the BLM Arizona Strip Visitor Map.
The one I purchased a week before the trip was dated 2010.

I also used Google Maps, Bing Maps, DeLorme and Benchmark Books. The BLM map has the best detail.
Navigation is pretty easy to most places as there are signs at the major intersections. I used Garmin Mapsource
to create tracks through the areas I was unsure of, but often the tracks I made were wrong because of deactivated
trails and such. Most maps show lots of trails that no longer exist or are closed to vehicles. The tracks I made did
assist greatly in reducing the number of times I had to stop to consult paper maps or play around with the GPS.
If you have a GPS you can use my tracks out to the places I went to anyway.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #108
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
The best map for out there is the BLM Arizona Strip Visitor Map.
The one I purchased a week before the trip was dated 2010.

I also used Google Maps, Bing Maps, DeLorme and Benchmark Books. The BLM map has the best detail.
Navigation is pretty easy to most places as there are signs at the major intersections. I used Garmin Mapsource
to create tracks through the areas I was unsure of, but often the tracks I made were wrong because of deactivated
trails and such. Most maps show lots of trails that no longer exist or are closed to vehicles. The tracks I made did
assist greatly in reducing the number of times I had to stop to consult paper maps or play around with the GPS.
If you have a GPS you can use my tracks out to the places I went to anyway.
Thank you for that info.! I pretty much use the same resources you mentioned for most of my trips. I was just wondering if you had a specific map for the AZ Strip area. That is a good tip and I'll have to see if a copy or newer version is still available. Love me some trip plannin'!!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #109
AKMotorbiker
Searching for sanity

Oddometer: 237
If you want to answer at the end of your report that's cool but, did you consider following the canyon closer/more and was that impassable, a time factor, or gas issue?
Searching for Sanity: Newest Chapter- Sequoia National Park
AKMotorbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #110
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
winter travel

Always looking to get out of the snow to ride ,is that area at all snow free and rideable late winter?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #111
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 7

I was heading towards Jumpup Point.

The letters were peeling off this sign making some crazy looking fonts.
There were several other points out here that I considered riding to, but they end up near Gunsight Point.

I was running out of time and I still wanted to ride Jumpup Point, Ranger Pass, Sowats Point, and Crazy Jugs Point.

While riding through this beautiful and barren valley I noticed the roadway and creek crossings had been freshly graded.
It was graded rock and silt. At times the rock content wasn't enough and without ruts it was hard to judge where the soft slippery stuff began.

So that's why the roadway was freshly graded. The grader operator drove over and chatted with me. He said I was welcome to try it,
but at least the next half a mile the road was washed out. He said I would be riding through boulders. They were just now getting to this
section after the last big storm. He said no one knew what the roads were like further on as they were getting info as they went.
He told me Ranger Pass would probably be very difficult. I was already running out of time and not in a mood for a lengthy fight with washed out roads.
Jumpup Point will go on my long list of reasons to return.

I turned around and backtracked to the 423/427. I did get to find out how fun it is to ride through silt with a strong gusting tailwind.

The 423 and 427 are the type of roads I love. A fun rollercoaster twisting through the forest with not another soul around.

I hear Sowats Point is nice.

After all the rocks in Whitmore Canyon my ABS stopped working. Well, that and my inattention was the cause of my first tip-over of the trip.
I know most of you dirt riders don't use the ABS in the dirt, but I never turn it off. I knew it wasn't working, but the mud puddle ahead was
robbing me of all my attention. I was braking while trying to decide if I should take the detour or just splash through the mud when suddenly,
I heard the front slide and I was tumbling in the dirt. The landing was very soft. My front tire had hit the edge of a hard rut at less than 10 mph
with my fingers still on the front brake.

No damage I'm not proud of.

After all of the washes, deep sand, loose rocks, mud, and ruts I am surprised this was my first fall.

The road was fun and varied all the way out to Sowats Point.

I considered maybe staying out here, but there weren't enough trees to block the wind and the view wasn't all that grand.

I've always wanted to camp at Crazy Jugs anyway.

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 11:45 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #112
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMotorbiker View Post
If you want to answer at the end of your report that's cool but, did you consider following the canyon closer/more and was that impassable, a time factor, or gas issue?
Other than on the Hualapai Reservation on the south side I'm following the edge of the canyon about as close as you can. There is no rim drive out here. There are some routes from Mount Dellenbaugh RD over to Whitmore Canyon, but since I went out for gas I just took the most direct route back in. Some of the routes in that section pass through private ranches and I've read somewhere that ranchers had started locking some gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Always looking to get out of the snow to ride ,is that area at all snow free and rideable late winter?
I wouldn't suggest riding any of these roads when wet. Toroweap is usually accessible from Fredonia, but you would likely see snow and mud on Mt Trumbull and many of the higher elevations until late spring. The Kaibab Plateau would require a snow machine. I read a report years ago where Mud Mountain Rd was impassable due to mud from melting snow in late spring. May-June or Sept-Oct would be good times to plan rides up there.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #113
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 7: Crazy Jugs Point

I been to Crazy Jugs Point several times before, but always at mid-day. I've been wanting to camp there.

I set up camp sheltered from the wind by trees. It was not as windy as last night, but I want some sleep tonight.

This would be the only sunset of the trip with some clouds in the sky.

The sun sets behind the clouds and...

a few minutes later gives an orange glow.

I'm at higher elevation tonight. Its gonna get chilly.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #114
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
You, again, Dave.
Sorry for not knowing your thread until today.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #115
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 123
nice stuff and great pics !!!
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #116
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
It's always tough to capture wind in a still photo, but I know what you mean...it'll wear you out all night long.

My poor little first version Half Dome is about worn out, zippers don't zip, mouse ate a hole in it.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #117
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietHorse View Post
You, again, Dave.
Sorry for not knowing your thread until today.
Its nice to hear from you again, VietHorse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
nice stuff and great pics !!!
Thanks for following along, 8thdwarf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It's always tough to capture wind in a still photo, but I know what you mean...it'll wear you out all night long.

My poor little first version Half Dome is about worn out, zippers don't zip, mouse ate a hole in it.
Mine it still holding up okay, but I'm not sure it saw a heavy rain. I have no idea if its still waterproof.
I've never done it, but have you tried waxing the zippers? http://www.amazon.com/McNett-Stick-L...rds=zipper+wax

The wind at Kanab Point was screaming up the cliff face. When standing at the edge it would be easy for a gust to throw you over. I had to be real careful taking some of the photos. I'm surprised the 360 degree HDR panorama wasn't more crooked as I had to shoot that handheld while bracing against the gusts. I set the tent about 30 feet away from the edge and the wind wasn't as bad there. I used 2 stakes at each corner and took a couple boulders inside with me. A couple gusts during the night hit the tent so hard I got up to check the stakes.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #118
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 8

I catch the sunrise from Crazy Jugs Point.

It was chilly, but it will warm up for another nice sunny day.

Crazy Jugs Point is in the Kaibab National Forest (not the park) and there are no camping restrictions.
A passenger car could get to it. In fact, I've seen a minivan out there before.
If you don't mind more than 20 miles of gravel you could get a street bike there, no problem.

While packing up camp, a Nissan Xterra showed up. A couple walks out to see the view.
They were still there when I left, but we'll be seeing each other again today...

I set off excited and a little anxious. I'm hoping Point Sublime is accessible. The park keeps it closed frequently for deadfalls.
With the high winds over the past few days, I'm hoping they haven't locked the gates.

This morning will be filled with fun tracks through the forest of pine and golden aspens...

...and a few more points in the Kaibab National Forest.

Parissawampitts Point, say that a few times real fast.

I take a stroll, but this was the best view I got from here. I didn't want to walk all the way out there.

There was a zone of aspens about three miles from the rim that were turning gold already.

The roads out to the points are easy routes along ridges.

Between the ridges there is a shortcut road. The FS 250 is listed on the signs as a 4x4 road.
The 250 dips into the valleys between the ridges. It was a fun little road that ran in the zone of colorful aspens.

The Xterra beat me to Fence Point by skipping Parissawampitts and taking the main roads.
They must have been hauling ass...

The Rainbow Rim Trail is popular with mountain bikers it seems. There were campers near all of the points along this trail.

Fence Point Panorama

Old 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #119
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

A Short Film

Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #120
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 324
Great RR

Pics are amazing!