Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #121
Off Road USA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Beautiful pics, WOW, I need to head up into that country !
Off Road USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #122
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
Day 8

More color...

...and stops along the way.

Locust Point

360 Degrees of Color at a 3-Way Intersection

The steepest downhill of the whole trip was on the 250 between Locust Point RD and Timp Point RD.
The loose gravel made that section a real Slip-n-Slide.
I made it down, hoping the climb out of the valley wasn't gonna be as bad.
It wasn't.

I enjoyed my lunch at North Timp Point. I chatted with a friendly camper who kept asking me how these roads were on the bike.
She said they had taken their Jeep out to Swamp Point a couple days ago during the high winds. She said the trail went through a large burned area.
They pulled four downed trees on the way out to the point and had to pull another four coming back.

North Timp Point Panorama

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #123
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
cool pics but the neat panorama has me confused the shadows cast funny ? the sun must have been right above ?what camera did u use ?
thanks for sharing ,

ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #124
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Loving this thread. You do good work.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #125
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 8 Led Astray

I went to North Timp Point and not Timp Point because my buddy glenn5995 informed me it was the only spot from the rim you could see Thunder River Falls.
I sat there throughout my lunch break scanning every nook and cranny of the entire canyon without seeing anything resembling a waterfall. I confronted
Glenn when I got home. He claims there's conflicting information on the internet and now thinks the falls are only visible from Timp Point. I think that's
a sorry excuse for leading me astray. We all know the internet doesn't lie. I nearly went blind staring so long into the canyon straining to see a waterfall where none existed.

(I probably should have just gone to Timp Point as well.)

Let's see if we can make it to Point Sublime!

I took a maze of trails towards the back entrance to the park. I was glad I made a track to follow on the GPS here.

The valley around Quaking Aspen Spring had numerous mud puddles. None were a problem though.

I am happy to find the gate open!

I was cruising along the narrow two-track. As I approach a corner, suddenly I see the front of the same grey Xterra.
It was hauling ass! I was riding in the left track, so my first thought was to brake hard and start moving to the right.
I then realized a couple things simultaneously. The Xterra wasn't slowing at all! Even if I got all the way over to the
right edge it would likely still cream me. I also noticed that there just happened to a meadow to the left with no berm
blocking the way there. I swerved to the left and shot out into the soft lumpy meadow. As I braked to a controlled
stop I see the Xterra driver finally found the brakes and skidded to a stop at least 75 feet past me. I was to relieved to
be angry at all. I waved that I was okay and the driver continued as I made my way back onto the trail. I got real
lucky with the placement of the meadow. If you've ever been on this trail, you know there aren't many places where
you can safely drive off at speed. Whew!

Of course, if the Xterra is already going the opposite direction he probably found the road impassable...

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 04:11 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #126
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
Pics are amazing!

thanks for posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road USA View Post
Beautiful pics, WOW, I need to head up into that country !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Loving this thread. You do good work.
Thanks for checking in, lqgsrider, Off Road USA, & Diggerled!
Old 10-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #127
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
cool pics but the neat panorama has me confused the shadows cast funny ? the sun must have been right above ?what camera did u use ?
thanks for sharing ,
The photos were taken around noon so the sun is a little south. It is a complete circle. I walked around in a full circle and shot 39 photos.
(13 vertical overlapping compositions and 3 exposure brackets at each point.) Its a T intersection. From the left, the first and second roads
is the same straight road, even though it looks curved. I used the Pentax K-5. I merged each set of brackets into 13 HDR images with
Photomatix Pro and then stitched them with the freeware Microsoft ICE. The final panorama was finished in Lightroom 5. Does that help?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #128
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 285
Terrific report.
I've been thinking for a long time about coming to the USA to do some rides like this, but I'm in the southern hemisphere where the seasons are opposite, so what time of year was this trip?
pete
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #129
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
The photos were taken around noon so the sun is a little south. It is a complete circle. I walked around in a full circle and shot 39 photos.
(13 vertical overlapping compositions and 3 exposure brackets at each point.) Its a T intersection. From the left, the first and second roads
is the same straight road, even though it looks curved. I used the Pentax K-5. I merged each set of brackets into 13 HDR images with
Photomatix Pro and then stitched them with the freeware Microsoft ICE. The final panorama was finished in Lightroom 5. Does that help?
Nice. I've played with Photomatix a little but not attempted something that complex yet. Great work.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #130
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
The wind at Kanab Point was screaming up the cliff face. When standing at the edge it would be easy for a gust to throw you over. I had to be real careful taking some of the photos. I'm surprised the 360 degree HDR panorama wasn't more crooked as I had to shoot that handheld while bracing against the gusts. I set the tent about 30 feet away from the edge and the wind wasn't as bad there. I used 2 stakes at each corner and took a couple boulders inside with me. A couple gusts during the night hit the tent so hard I got up to check the stakes.

I figured if you took the time to mention wind it was pretty memorable.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #131
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,105
THIS>>>

Is amazing...

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #132
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I'm looking forward to getting back to the GC and doing some more exploring.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #133
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Dave - just want to add my compliments. Your ride, photos and writing are amazing. All your praise is well-deserved.

It takes time to organize and create a RR. Its fun, you get to re-live your ride . . . and to some degree it influences how you do the ride (particular photos, for example). But, overall a very big commitment.

All your inmate (and lurker) fans appreciate it very much.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #134
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 8: Point Sublime Trail

I was told by another SUV driver that a downed tree blocked access to Point Sublime. I'll just have to go see for myself.
I easily get around a couple deadfalls...

Until I get here. No way I can jump this one. But wait. If I ride through the trees I can find a place where the log is smaller...

...but it seems I have made a miscalculation. My second log attempt ever, was not so pretty. After a little huffing, puffing,
sweating, cursing, engine racing, tire spinning, etc I decided I was making to much noise. Surely I'm going to attract the attention
of a park ranger. I'm sure he wouldn't think this was so fun. I finally got smart enough to stack some wood under the rear tire and made it over.

The T intersection was just around the next bend and...

...what is that across the trail ahead?!

Hmmmm....

I considered throwing the bike on the side and dragging it under the tree, but that seemed like a lot of work.
I ended up driving through the aspens and made it around the base of the tree on the side hill.

I figured I would be the only one out here for sure, but a few corners later I nearly met mountain bikers head on.

I was almost to the end of the road when I met Bill and Whitney from Sacramento.
They had ridden from their truck parked near Highway 67. I planned to go out that direction tomorrow.
Bill told me there were more downed trees in that direction, but said I would be able to pass them.

Those lighter bikes looked fun, but then again, no bike will be light by time I load it up with me and my luggage for a trip like this.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #135
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Point Sublime!

I made it to Point Sublime by 3:15.

There was smoke from a prescribed fire across the canyon near Tusayan.
I watched countless helicopters flying back and forth across the canyon.
I stripped naked to wash up and change into clean clothes.
I hoped the helicopters didn't fly a load of tourists in for a closer look.
This made me think of the perfect title for this ride report, "Scoring Points with an Arizona Stripper".
The wife didn't think it was so funny, so I ended up with the generic this is where I rode title.

I set up camp and had an early dinner.

I then sat at the point and...

watched...

the changing light...

at one of the most stunning places on earth.

I did miss my son, who rode 2up out here with me 2 years ago.

Point Sublime was aptly named.

I crawled into my tent all alone. I had time for another two nights and plenty of places to see to fill the next three days of riding.
I realized however that I was feeling real homesick. I take these trips to escape the stress and boredom of daily life.
The wife understands I need my alone time, but I'm starting to realize there's a limit to how much solitude I need.

I go to bed thinking I'll camp at one more point tomorrow night and then head home a day early.