Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
snacks OP
King Bull Bucker

Oddometer: 9
Question Purchase Decision: Fully Farkled or Barebone?

In the course of my shopping for a 950, the couple that are in my area to choose from have led me to a question that I'm having some trouble resolving.

Should I buy a fully farkled bike and pay a little more or should I buy a barebones original bike and build it up?

I know that from a pure economics sense the farkled bike makes for a better long term financial commitment. There's less to have to do to fix some of the issues with the bike. But I'm buying a bike that someone else set up for their style of riding and needs.

Or do I start from scratch and save a few bucks and build the bike up the way I want it? It would be more expensive long-term, but I wouldn't be undoing anyone's trickery (especially electrical).

What have you guys done in the past? Would you do it the same way again?
snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
Personally I prefer to buy a totally stock bike and farkle it up myself, but mostly because I enjoy the process.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
For me, I look for long term investment. That to me is a low mileage bike very well maintained. Farkles are secondary. I've found that some bikes that were completely farkled out were also the bikes that had been ridden harder than the average rider, possibly prematurely wearing some key components. All stock is ok. If it has some farkles that's even better. I've also seen bikes that have had some of the key LC8 must do's done and that sounds enticing, but were they done right? Again, farkles in my opinion are ok, but don't let them cloud you're judgement by buying the wrong bike just because of the farkle. Farkles can be had on a dozen websites 24/7. good bikes for the long haul require a bit more discretion in your shopping. good luck.
'14 1290 SD
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,624
I roll just the opposite of oldfuddy's theory. I'd rather have the bike that's set-up and proven. Why pay full shot for new farkles when they can be had for literally pennies on the dollar already installed on the bike? Everybody does pretty much the same things anyway and you can always sell stuff you don't want to buy stuff you do - more savings!

I also lean towards the proven bikes with the maintenance and upgrades already done, and that means miles on the bike. I don't like mysteries. Records aren't that important to me as long as I know I'm dealing with an enthusiast. You can tell by the mods and the spares. The seller is more important than the actual bike in many instances.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Well, there's farkles and there's farkles.

Suspension is pretty specific to the rider- weight, height and riding style. I bought a unmolested bike because I knew I'd likely need to change the suspension- a bought a standard model rather than an R. I can't get along with a barn-door type windscreen, so if the bike had one, I'd take it off anyway. If someone did a crappy job installing the electrical for GPS, or a screwy GPS mount, I'd have to re-do it anyway.

So it's an easy answer- It all depends

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
I like to know that someone else didn't cheap out, so I like to do the farkling myself. Also, farkles I don't want are worth exactly $0 to me, so if someone added a $1000 LED light bar, I don't want to pay for it. Doing it myself allows me to focus on the stuff I actually want and care about.

That said, it the farkles are exactly aligned with what I want, I'll consider it.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I roll just the opposite of oldfuddy's theory.
And that's exactly why this forum works. Different approaches to the same end result. A machine we are confident to ride anywhere.
'14 1290 SD
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfuddy View Post
And that's exactly why this forum works. Different approaches to the same end result. A machine we are confident to ride anywhere.
Wait- shouldn't there be cross words, disrespect for the opinion of others, snarky deprecating counterstatements, a claim of higher knowledge followed by a ad hominem attack and a dire warning to take it to jo momma?

Where am I?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
snacks OP
King Bull Bucker

True. And comments based on inside jokes and peoples inability to keep their bike running.

However, I appreciate the discussion here. I'll start the owner interview process tomorrow and make my decision based more on the level of care paid to the bike more than the mileage or shiny bits. Lots of good opinions in this discussion and I appreciate your input.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Well, there's farkles and there's farkles.

Suspension is pretty specific to the rider- weight, height and riding style. I bought a unmolested bike because I knew I'd likely need to change the suspension- a bought a standard model rather than an R. I can't get along with a barn-door type windscreen, so if the bike had one, I'd take it off anyway. If someone did a crappy job installing the electrical for GPS, or a screwy GPS mount, I'd have to re-do it anyway.

So it's an easy answer- It all depends
pretty sure most reputable suspension shops will take any suspension that they have done, and re-work it for a new rider. i know my guy does and so does precision concepts. so, all you gotta do is call them, tell them you bought a bike they had worked on and you want them to set it up for you. they should change springs and valving at no cost and replace all consumables for cheap. if they wont, id find a different shop.

just my $.02

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
for me I like to find bike with external farkles (ones that you can't screw up too badly installing) but run from internal mods because you never know if it was done right

I just bought a 950A off an inmate that had most of the goodies (scotts damper, woodys wheels, HDB hand guards, and some other misc stuff) for not a whole lot more than a similar condition completely stock one would have been. If I were to have added this stuff on my own, even buying used, it would have cost me somewhere between 1k and 2k for that stuff. I think patience is key to buying used bikes, you have to be able/willing to wait for the bike you want and not settle for the next best thing.

That being said I have never bought a used bike that I didnt have to un-fuck some things on.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
for me I like to find bike with external farkles (ones that you can't screw up too badly installing) but run from internal mods because you never know if it was done right

That being said I have never bought a used bike that I didnt have to un-fuck some things on
Years ago I picked up a well farkled DRZ 400 and had to use an impact wrench to remove the fork caps. I swear every bolt on that thing was torqued to 100 ft lbs....
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Fat50Racer
Calle Racing Member

Oddometer: 12
It'll find you

I was in the market for a 950/990 adventure in September and October. I don't know if it was a SoCal thing but there was not much of a market when I was searching. I went and looked at a few but always seemed disapointed with what I found. Either well farkled but well "ridden" or fairly clean but completely stock but priced like a farkled bike. Long story short 2 monthes later I found an 06 With 3k miles and lots of the mods I would have done(Bars and risers, windscreen, seat, 2 exhaust systems, Pegs, Hard Bags, Soft bags, Spare water pump kit,fuel pump,clutch slave etc. the list goes on and on) Plus all the stock parts also. Suspension was stock and that was fine since I always send mine out to be set up for me. I am 250lbs. I had to wait a while but they are out there. I love it and have already ridden it 10k miles and through canada and Alsaka.
Fat50Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
pretty sure most reputable suspension shops will take any suspension that they have done, and re-work it for a new rider. i know my guy does and so does precision concepts. so, all you gotta do is call them, tell them you bought a bike they had worked on and you want them to set it up for you. they should change springs and valving at no cost and replace all consumables for cheap. if they wont, id find a different shop.

just my $.02

laramie
This was not my experience with Precision Concepts.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 08-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
snacks OP
King Bull Bucker

Having a bit of a obsession with 1980's Range Rovers as well I know the value of a bit of patience of waiting for "the one".

When looking for my current 1988, aka Rupert, I waited 3 years.

Luckily, I live between Denver and Boulder, so they're not an uncommon sight, especially once I get up in the mountains. They're around here, just have to wait for the right one.

snacks screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 10:30 AM