User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Qwik OP
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,310
Dealer service cost differences

My water pump is going on my 950. Didn't want to. Do it myself. Called my local. dealership (the Motor Cafe )in Sunnyvale the labor quote was $220 plus about $90 in parts. Scuderia West in SF (a top notch shop) quoted me $360 labor and $250 in parts.. Guess I'm going to order a kit from CJ and do it myself.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I would put the job at about 2 hours if you have ever done a water pump before. Maybe 3 to be on the safe side. So $220-$360 in labor is about right. Any shop in SF is going to be higher due to rent.

Don't know what to say with the part pricing. Maybe someone was looking up the water pump kit with the different cover?

If you are in the area and have the tools to pull the clutch, do the oil pump upgrade. It really helped quiet my timing chain rattle when the bike was hot.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #3
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,149
Hey qwik, Scuderia has touched my bike twice in the early days of my 990 while under warranty. Each time they damaged something,scratch another or left bolts loose (crash bars and lower triple).
And that with Dakar mechanics on duty.
So never again. I know some people have had good experiences with them. I'm merely sharing mine. And you know my bike. . . .

Knowing you the water pump is a piece of cake
Old 11-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
rean1mator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
After ruining the original Clutch/Water Pump Cover trying not so successfully to install the bearings, I had to order a new cover. Called around to get a quote on getting teh bearing pressed in for me. Scuderia was 100+ dollars.

CalMoto in LIvermore was only $50. May want to look into getting the bearings pressed in for you and do the rest. the actual install is pretty easy.

Or give them a call to get a quote for entire Job too.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
If you haven't already, verify if both shops are talking apples - apples. For some a WP rebuild is to pull the cover, replace the impeller and seal, and done. For others, its impeller, seal, both sets of bearings, circlips, flushing the radiator, etc... That may account for some of the difference? I do like scuderia, but I'm not a fan of their service prices.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
I think the how covers changing the water pump seals, shafts and bearings. No press needed. Tap out the old bearings with a screwdriver and hammer. Tap in the new ones by putting the bearings in the freezer, and heating up the cover with a heat gun. Using a socket that just fits the outside diameter of the bearing, but inside the housing, tap the bearing in.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Labor rates will vary from dealer to dealer, the same way they do with automobile dealers and shops. The parts differences are either due to markup, or perhaps one dealer replaces more parts in the process while another only replaces certain wear parts.

Ask them how much it'll cost if you trailer the bike in with the tanks and everything pulled off already.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
just do it!

I did mine a couple of months ago and it was no big deal, no press needed. Order the parts from CJ and read one of the how to's around here, its that easy. Try to talk myself into doing the valve check/adjustment now.
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
Try to talk myself into doing the valve check/adjustment now.
Valve adjust is easy as pie with the info on this site and the HOW and a set of shims. I got mine through a local supplier. Wiseco set.

I got myself all psyched up about doing it because it is such a critical operation and screwing it up can be devastating. Measure thrice, shim once.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
Qwik OP
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
I did mine a couple of months ago and it was no big deal, no press needed. Order the parts from CJ and read one of the how to's around here, its that easy. Try to talk myself into doing the valve check/adjustment now.
I've done it. Not to bad, and I have a shim kit and Verniers. I'm in the Bay Area if you need help with it.