Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #31
Gillberg375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Hi Gillberg,

Is it the same fuel pump on both 2014 and 2013 '1190's and do you know if there will be a worldwide recall / exchange, or is it just OZ?

I have to add that I haven't yet noticed this problem on my '14 in a major way except that there does seem to be a dead power band between 5500 and 7000 rpm, where the engine seems to run very lean and hot.

Thanks,
Rob

No idea if the fuel pump is the same on the 14 and I can't imagine KTM recalling all the bikes for a problem only a few seem to have.
Gillberg375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 AM   #32
chamorroIV
Nicaragua

Oddometer: 5
fueling problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsica101 View Post
What you could try is with your spare key to open the cap while the problem presents itself...just make sure your tank is not full and yr on a flat road!:)

anyway if Gillberg says he had his pump replaced and the problem is sorted then that should be it...
I will try this tomorrow and let you know!
chamorroIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #33
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
So did you end up sorting this out?

I found my bike surges when it has about half a tank left according to the guage.. and it wont rev much past 6000rpm..

I rang up Peter Stevens in melbourne, aust and gave em my vin number and they have a few recalls but its about the side stand, kinked ventilation hose and something else they were not sure what it was as it was in a part code or something on the screen.. I asked if it was the fuel pump.. but they are ringing back to let me know..

my bike this morning wouldn't idle properly.. I had to keep the revs up to stop it from stalling.. I think it is fueling problems and it does make a huge woosh when i open the fuel cap.. mmm

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #34
Spayn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
So did you end up sorting this out?

I found my bike surges when it has about half a tank left according to the guage.. and it wont rev much past 6000rpm..

I rang up Peter Stevens in melbourne, aust and gave em my vin number and they have a few recalls but its about the side stand, kinked ventilation hose and something else they were not sure what it was as it was in a part code or something on the screen.. I asked if it was the fuel pump.. but they are ringing back to let me know..

my bike this morning wouldn't idle properly.. I had to keep the revs up to stop it from stalling.. I think it is fueling problems and it does make a huge woosh when i open the fuel cap.. mmm
You need to change tank vent by recall at your dealer.
Spayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 AM   #35
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spayn View Post
You need to change tank vent by recall at your dealer.
thanks for that. do they actually change anything or just drill a hole or check the vent hose isn't kinked?

They said it will take a couple of weeks before they can book me in.. I said Well if i have a bike that doesn't run properly and its under warranty i want it fixed asap.. They asked if i bought the bike off them and i responded with No because you couldn't supply me one and gave me the number to another dealer out in the country who could.. Amazing how one dealer can get stock but another cant.

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #36
like2lean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
2014 R with 300 miles, same thing.

Maiden trip to AR today I started hearing a loud squeal on accel lower left side, then it started loosing power big time with 1/2 tank left. I pulled over and filled it real quick, it had no vacuum in the tank. Took it right back out and it ran strong again...for now. I'll check the filter when I get home but think its a pump.
like2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #37
KawiPhil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I had a similar issue. Dealer did first service. Riding bike home from dealer with low fuel in tank and had hard time getting it past 5500-6000 RPM. Thought it might have something to do with settings in bike ECU. Checked it in different modes. Put 3 gallons of fuel in tank, better but now it's at 7500 RPMs. Very busy so tried again 3 days later and all seems fine. Definetley think it's fuel filter/pump related. No time to take it in to dealer.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #38
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I've had 2 fuel injected vehicles present similar symptoms, one was the pickup filter in the tank collapsing and preventing the pump from sucking fuel. The other was the plastic tank shrinking when the fuel load got low and the bottom of the tank pressing against the pickup tube interupting fuel flow..

SO it sounds like fuel to me!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #39
like2lean
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2lean View Post
Maiden trip to AR today I started hearing a loud squeal on accel lower left side, then it started loosing power big time with 1/2 tank left. I pulled over and filled it real quick, it had no vacuum in the tank. Took it right back out and it ran strong again...for now. I'll check the filter when I get home but think its a pump.
2 more tanks of fuel another 500 miles and it hasn't done it since yesterday. I couldn't pass a car or climb a hill, just drive on 1/4 throttle, now same temp and fuel level seems ok...I'll pull it apart when I get home.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #40
Mshaw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I am also having the fuel starvation problem on the new 1190 Adventure.

Similar conditions of warm ambient temperature, heated up motor, and fuel tank less than half full. The tank is well vented. I have also been careful with my fuel, using only non-ethanol premium from a local station that has been very reliable for quality. My ski boat (etc.) runs great on the gas and the fill-ups were not more than several days apart.

Pulled out the fuel pump last week and found a dense coating of "spooge" on the pre-filter. I cleaned it off with carb cleaner, drained tank completely and reinstalled. Bike ran fine for about 3/4 tank then started to restrict rpm and eventually sputter to a stop.

I dropped the pump out again and found the pre-filter covered with the same gummy mass. After letting the tank dry a bit I noticed a white flaky oxidant on the inside of the tank (picture attached). I was able to wipe some out with my fingers. It looks like detritus (or dandruff). I also looked at some the drained gas in a glass jar and noticed the stuff would settle to the bottom but easily come back into the fluid column with a small amount of shaking.

I took a few pictures inside the tank with a fiber optic inspection scope and passed them on to my dealer on 6/13/14. Hoping to hear something from KTM-USA this coming week.

I am guessing that warm fuel at lower volumes (sloshing about) in the tank help to shed the stuff off the tank wall into the gas. The "spooge" is sticky and thick when wet with gas but shrinks as it dries out.

I can only hope your seat time has been less frustrating than mine lately.
Attached Images

Mshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #41
Mshaw
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Disregard the date stamp on the picture......I forgot to set the clock on the inspection tool.
Mshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #42
RevTrev
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wink

Hi guys I've got a 990 adventure and had all the same issues you are having on my 12000km trip outback Australia.
I can guarantee it's your fuel pump and filters. Change your filters,use the Ktm exc fuel sock EVERY FUEL FILL UP. to filter your fuel and flush out your tank, problem solved.
I also had to replace my pump....look up pump on eBay from Greece $70au.
I know the fuel filter number is same on 1190. Think pump would be.
RevTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #43
like2lean
Adventurer

I just pulled the pump/filter out for insp. they were both perfectly clean. The pick-up sock looked weird though, it's white but has some brown inner lining that I thought was the dirt/goo stuff some have found in there. But the outside of the sock was pristine and I couldn't squeeze any through so I'm sure it's part of the sock, it's looking more like a pump issue. I did find the little 1 1/2 inch petcock filter just laying in the bottom of the tank though..

like2lean screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 05:49 PM
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #44
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Interesting comments.. So far we have..
- Fuel Pump
- Fuel Vent
- Plastic Tank Shrinkage against pickup.

I actually find mine only does it on really cold weather (EG: Mornings when I'm grumpy and don't have time for this sh*t)

But on ktm forums I found these pics below relating to the fuel vent hole being drilled from the factory wrong. And they need to drill out the hole next to it.

I might check this when I get home.. I'm still waiting on the dealer to get back to me re: warranty stuff...

RIP - BMW F650 GS Twin
Old 07-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #45
like2lean
Adventurer

You can eliminate the vent as a culprit by just opening the cap next time it happens, if there is a vacmm you have a vent issue, if not, look at the other 2.