User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Flat Tires!

I've put over 16000 miles on my bike in the last year and a half.....and I've had FOUR flat tires! This seems like more than my share. All have been due to road debris. #1 roofing nail in front, #2 nail in rear, #3 slash in front tire nearly down to cords, I assume I ran over something sharp (the tire didn't go flat, but due to damage I replaced it) #4 just two days ago, something that resembled a T in cross section imbedded in rear tire. Went totally flat in about 10 minutes. I won't even mention the rear tire I just plain wore out

WHAT THE HELL!!! Anyone else have this many flats?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
No.

The only time I've had a flat on a road run was when I dented the front rim of a V-Strom, running down a stretch of broken up pavement (flood damaged road). I'm used to dirt riding so didn't realize the suspension & cast solid wheel couldn't withstand stuff like that.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
no
but now I've jinxed myself.
i'll get back to you in a couple of months
lol
cheers
you will get no more
think positive
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
What part of the lane do your ride in?
In my experience riding in the left portion of the lane (or even in the right) where the tires from cars and trucks spend their time, you will find the least amount of debris.
Makes sense as small pebbles, nails and other objects are constantly being swept from this area.
Riding in the center of any lane you will find more debris.
If you don't believe me, drive an open wheel, open cockpit race car off the fast line on a swept track and feel the sting!
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Got a contractor living nearby or commuting past a construction site? I have a good friend who is a contractor and he's always getting flats in his vehicles. I've reminded him how much my tires cost and asked him to be careful. Nearly daily, he's sweeping the area around his house because his guys that come by don't have the same consideration.

Even splitting lanes, I've had 1 flat ever and I ride every single day that I leave the house. I'm sure I'll have more now that I've posted this
Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I seem to get a flat every 5000 miles or so. Usually within the first 500 miles of a new tire LOL! I just plug them and keep riding until the tread is gone. We have a lot of construction around here, and after a hail storm when everyone's getting their house re-roofed it's really bad.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
One flat in last 12 months and 18,000 miles. Stuck a big fence staple in my rear tire while ridding off road on a single track running parallel to a ranch fence. Always carry a repair kit and pump in my panniers, so I don't flat very often. I liken it to never getting caught in the rain while carrying an umbrella.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,366
Do you ride a Vulcan 750?

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
IrishCatholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Do you ride a Vulcan 750?
No, I was riding a Triumph Explorer that I have since traded towards a 2014 BMW GS.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Add the road surface to your scanning pattern as you ride. You won't catch everything, but doing that has helped me avoid hitting several nails over the years.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Add the road surface to your scanning pattern as you ride. You won't catch everything, but doing that has helped me avoid hitting several nails over the years.
How slow can you possibly go that you spot nails? Or am I confused and I'm in the bicycle thread?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Sounds like a lot of flat tires, last five years rode 75k miles and I've had one flat. This one really ruined the tire about 3 years ago.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,153
I'm relatively new to riding, but in my 75,000 miles I've only picked up one nail in a tire. Fortunately, the tire was shot anyhow, so I didn't lose any sleep over tossing it out.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,881
I've ridden 80,000 miles in the last 18 months and had two flats. Front flat on the BMW scared the complete hell right out of me. Rear flat on the Goldwing, TPMS saved my ass...I knew that I had ran over something, but the flashing light on the dash got me to pull over ASAP, 4 inch gash...no air. I got a screw in a rear tire during this time too, but caught it during pre-flight and plugged it.

I split lanes, ride on shoulders, sidewalks and work at the dump, I'm surprised I don't get more flat tires.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Spare tire,