User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Los Pollos Hermanos - Alberta2Argentina 2013-2014

My name is Kyle and I am 26 years old currently working in the banking industry in the oil booming economy that is Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. My work has graciously granted a 4 month leave of absence making this dream a reality.

About three years ago I had a dream, conjured up in the last year of university. I wanted to explore South America by land and I was going to take this jeep.

At the time I was quite into 4x4ing and camping and was avidly developing my love for wrenching. One day while browsing Expedition Portal I came across Dan's website; The Road Chose Me (http://theroadchoseme.com/). Somebody else was actually doing this trip! Somehow I have to make this happen... Well there weren't any takers, life went on.... a career was started and the jeep was sold.

In 2011 a friend asked if I was interested in going to Thailand and Cambodia for a couple weeks. The travel bug was reignited. Around that time I was also getting into dirt biking, at home in Alberta as well as beautiful British Columbia. Thailand was also the first time I legally took a bike on the street, I was hooked.

In Cambodia I found Siem Reap Dirtbike tours (http://www.siemreapdirtbikes.com/). I convinced them to take a friend and I out for the day, no formal tour. It was a highlight of the trip. Exploring far from the tourist areas. Terrain ranging from rice fields to mine fields to ancient hill top ruins. It was amazing.

Life continued. In spring 2012 I bought a house and shortly there after a 2003 DR 650. I figured a DR would be close enough to a dirt bike to make me feel comfortable on the street. At the time I was also influenced by ride reports on Advrider and the Long Way Around.

In September 2012 I met Trevor at a friends BBQ, within the first 10 minutes the South America motorcycle trip/dream came up. I was not going to let this opportunity pass! In October it was finalized. One year later we would depart for Argentina by motorcycle.

So here we are, July 2013, less than three months to departure. The parts have been ordered, the bikes purchased and the approximate route set. This dream is becoming a reality!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,381
Good luck for a safe journey and thanks for sharing it with us
Old 10-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Intros Continued.

My name is Trevor and I am 22 years old. Kyle and I are doing this trip together and will be posting together.

I have spent the last year framing houses and saving up for this trip. Originally from Smithers BC I was brought up out in the country with the privilege of being able to ride a motorbike! Started out with an old Honda 110 trail bike. Loved riding and exploring the mountains. Back in high school a buddy and I had the idea of buying new enduros out of high school and heading south but nothing ever came of it. After exploring University for a year and then travelling New Zealand and Tonga I still had South America in the back of my mind. When I met Kyle within a few days we had it sorted that we were going to do this trip! I love adventure and I am super pumped to see what the next six months had in store!!
-

My Dad eventually got an yamaha 225 enduro which was a huge step up from the 110 and absolutely loved it. I had my mind set on getting my licence soon as I turned 16!

-
When I was 13 I got a yamaha 350 enduro. Loved the freedom!

I had the opportunity to ride a friends sport bike in high school and found out a whole nother way to ride.. good and bad...
Fireblade 954rr

Most recent bike
750 Gsxr

Current bike that will take myself and Kyle down south!
Dr 650

Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

The final countdown

Trevor and I are busy doing the final bit of maintenance and packing. We are both very excited! We leave in one week! I find it very hard to sleep or to get any work down outside of trip prep. Trevor is done his framing job as of Friday.... I still have a week of work ahead of me. We are leaving Friday after I am done work. Sometime in the afternoon.

I am glad we are leaving when we are, the days are getting shorter and colder here in Alberta! Frost is common in the mornings. Soon we will be on the road and posts will become more frequent.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Los Pollos Hermanos

Los Pollos Hermanos - The Chicken Brothers.

Trevor and I are big fans of the TV show Breaking Bad. When coming up with a name and sticker design we were inspired by....

We plan on plastering these stickers all over central and south america.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 467
Hey thanks for sharing your trip! I also started out with modified 4x4s planning to travel and then found the wonders of the Suzuki DR platform

Breaking Bad is the best show that has been on TV in a long time so you fellas have hit the Trifecta of Awesome here and I can't wait to see the rest
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Day 1, 2 and 3

Day 1, 2 and 3

Headed out of Edmonton after Kyle finished work at 4:30 and then still had to do the final pack. Left around 6 and pulled into Calgary after a chilly ride in the dark. Stayed at Graeme's place. (Kyle's brother)

The next morning we left in a rush after realizing the shipping depot in Montana was only open till 2p.m! We had shipped some parts and gear to Montana to save on brokerage fees. If we didnt get to them on Friday we would have to hang around until monday.

After a few hours of solid riding we made it with fifteen minutes to spare!

Spent the night on a hillside. Went for a decent hike later in the dark after a great dinner of canned soup.

Took off the next morning and biked to yellowstone national park.

Closed signs everywhere (due to the government shutdown) but we just went around and had the whole national park to ourselves for the most part. Nice windy roads and bison and old faithful with absolutely no one else to get in the way.

Work up to heavy frost, started driving out in fog. The fog lifted to sunshine.

Just after leaving the park we were pulled over by a park ranger. He was not to happy with us driving driving in the closed park. Soon he called two more park rangers over. Made quite the scene. No photos. We were let off with two tickets each. Ouch! Off to Utah today.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operose View Post
Hey thanks for sharing your trip! I also started out with modified 4x4s planning to travel and then found the wonders of the Suzuki DR platform

Breaking Bad is the best show that has been on TV in a long time so you fellas have hit the Trifecta of Awesome here and I can't wait to see the rest
Haha thanks for following along! Breaking bad is very sweet, to bad its over!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmoose View Post
Haha thanks for following along! Breaking bad is very sweet, to bad its over!
I do not have "broadcast" TV and have not seen the last season... please no spoilers

Getting back on track, it is very cool that you guys met and decided to do this ride together. Many people seem to not go on longer rides because they can not get a (current) friend or family member to come with them and they do not wish to ride solo. It does not have to be that way... there are so many people on this planet there are plenty of people to ride with if you don't want to go by yourself
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
great title

another fellow Canadian heads to Argentina !

can only follow you onlice - but that's enuff for now

vamos, vamos .... arriba y andale ! ....
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
Good luck, you've got the right bike, simple and easy to maintain, have fun
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 440
Looking forward to your report. Hope you get down to warmer temps soon. Shame about the tickets in Yellowstone. I don't think they'll have anyway to track you down if the tickets somehow end up in the trash.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Viking
Ækt trønder!!

Oddometer: 434
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Pollos amigos,
A good start

Too bad the Park Rangers pulled attitude....they should have congratulated you on your intrepid efforts....bu I guess they were working and maybe not getting paid. No worries.....folks will be friendlier once south of the US.

Que via bien....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
canadianmoose OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Good luck, you've got the right bike, simple and easy to maintain, have fun
We hope the bike lasts and gonna do our best to have fun! Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Pollos amigos,
A good start

Too bad the Park Rangers pulled attitude....they should have congratulated you on your intrepid efforts....bu I guess they were working and maybe not getting paid. No worries.....folks will be friendlier once south of the US.

Que via bien....
Haha I wish. They said they had only given on other person a ticket. I think we are gonna end up paying them as we dont want future trouble. Looking forward to getting south!

Thanks for the comments everybody!