Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Garmin Registration with Windows 8

I am unable to get my new Montana to talk to my Windows 8 laptop even after updating Garmin drivers. It is a weekend so no help from Garmin for a few days. Am I just out of luck with "8" or am I missing something. Surely I am not the first to hit this bump!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Probably would help to have a little more info.
Are you just using windows explorer to list the Montana as a drive or via BaseCamp and/or MapInstall?

Have you tries other USB ports?
Do you have a memory chip in the GPS?

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 03:09 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,169
garmin support

Ken - have you seen this Garmin page?

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e908ee90-c6c1-11e1-dcef-000000000000}
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Hmmm, just following the instructions in the Garmin box. I lot into my Garmin account and go thru the registration instructions, but when it is time to get the plug-in, there is no recognition of the Garmin.

No chip in the unit; is that needed for registration? Required for the unit to work? I think I have a storage chip here somewhere and if not I'll get one and plug it in.

I've switched ports, and also tried my Windows 7 desktop with the same results. I'm obviously doing something dumb. I'll try to get the manual out of the unit next. I bought from GPSCity and they had it here almost before I finished ordering. Impressive. Now, to makeit work! 'Never had this kind of issue with my other units.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Here's what I would do.

Put the memory chip in.

Set the Montana interface to Mapper.

Using a Windows 7 computer plug in a USB cable to both the Montan and the computer.

When the Garmin says do you want to go to disc mode or something like that, say yes.

In a minute or so you should get a couple of windows one for the internal storage and one for the memory chip.

The run Basecamp and see if it recognizes the Montana and reads stuff from the internal memory and the memory card.

Assuming all this worked I would then try all the steps above for the Windows 8 computer.

I suspect that you will run into a problem in one of these steps and solving that problem will solve the problem of Garmin not recognizing the unit.

I don't guarantee in any fashion that this will work. It is just the troubleshooting steps I would use.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
No chip in the unit; is that needed for registration? Required for the unit to work? I think I have a storage chip here somewhere and if not I'll get one and plug it in.
No but I believe the Montana will show as a drive and any installed chip will show as a separate drive.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Set the Montana interface to Mapper.
I don't know how to do this, having never touched a Montana before. Scrolling thru the menu, nothing like that seems to be available. I think I will just capitulate and talk to Garmin on Monday. Happily, they have always been very competent in getting any issues ironed out. And, thanks to all for the help.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise W View Post
I don't know how to do this, having never touched a Montana before. Scrolling thru the menu, nothing like that seems to be available. I think I will just capitulate and talk to Garmin on Monday. Happily, they have always been very competent in getting any issues ironed out. And, thanks to all for the help.
Sorry it's Garmin Spanner not Mapper. You do this from the first page by hitting the right arrow head on the left edge. Then select Setup, then select System, then select Interface, then select Garmin Spanner.

Garmin Serial will also work, but it is different in a few areas I cannot remember.

When you plug the USB cable in, the message is "Would you like to go to Mas Storage?"

It would be worth while playing around with the various setup menus to see what you can do.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Blaise W OP
Studly Adventurer

wbbnm, in the process of following your latest advice, I plugged in the Montana and Voila, it was recognized. On both computers. However, when I tried to load maps and moved cables around, I lost it. Hmmmm. I decided to try a different USB to Montana cable, from another Garmin, and everything works. I think I got a bad cable with my new Montana; simple as that!

Device registered, and I'm downloading new maps as I peck. Thanks to all!

By the way, I am in the process of moving to Tucson, and am making another load at the end of this week. Perhaps we will meet on the trail somewhere, or for a local ride.