User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
After market wind screen for 2014 F800 GSA

Does anyone know of any being made yet, I"m 6'4" and the stock one on my new bike isn't going to cut it.
Pstmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,179
Hey mailman! Try the search feature on the forum. There have been discussions on this before.

PP
Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I tried "2014 F800 GSA Windscreen" and came up with nothing, so I'm interested in what you find out.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,179
Yeah...you won't find it with such a specific search. Here's a link with a few options...not much so far from what I've seen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Screen

PP
Old 10-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I tried the specific search as well, didn't really care to read what others had put on a 650, 1200, etc. I'm curious to know how the Germans who designed this one were tall enough to ride the bike without getting their head buffeted off. May try that Wunderlich if I don't find a full replacement screen that works. I'm sure someone will have one out before too long, I'll keep looking.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I'll buy your stock one if you find a suitable replacement.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
MplsMoto
Wheels

Oddometer: 129
PstMstr, I started a 2014 f800GSA windscreen thread a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have digressed a bit - some of the responses are actually for non-GSA bikes. From what I could figure, there are a couple of solutions available in Europe.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920140

I just ordered this one from from Twisted Throttle. I'll update my thread on the results.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x...-blade-bolt-on

MplsMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
MplsMoto
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper View Post
Yeah...you won't find it with such a specific search. Here's a link with a few options...not much so far from what I've seen.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=Screen

PP
I've found much better results using Google - although it's harder to search sub-forum specific. Type this into your search field on Google:

site:advrider.com f800 GSA windscreen
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Gsa

Thanks,I'll be watching for your results to see how it works out for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMoto View Post
PstMstr, I started a 2014 f800GSA windscreen thread a couple of weeks ago. It seems to have digressed a bit - some of the responses are actually for non-GSA bikes. From what I could figure, there are a couple of solutions available in Europe.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920140

I just ordered this one from from Twisted Throttle. I'll update my thread on the results.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-x...-blade-bolt-on

Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
LXDDLE
ROBBXR

Oddometer: 210
Here is the Wunderlich Vario on my non Adventure 2013 F800. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on the GSA.

I'm trying to figure out whether the GSA windshield/GPS mount bar will mount on my bike along with the Vario screen. I like the Vario's adjustability and near total lack of turbulence.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Pstmstr OP
Adventurer

Let me know if it works, that might be the ticket. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXDDLE View Post
Here is the Wunderlich Vario on my non Adventure 2013 F800. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on the GSA.

I'm trying to figure out whether the GSA windshield/GPS mount bar will mount on my bike along with the Vario screen. I like the Vario's adjustability and near total lack of turbulence.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
MplsMoto
Wheels

Well, I was able to successfully install the MRA X-Creen Tour windscreen, so far so good. I need to play with the positioning, but the I think this is going to do the job - I'm already noticing less wind noise and buffeting.

This the bolt-on version, and I opted for the short-reach option for mounting. It also comes with a couple of extensions that allows you much more flexibility in positioning the screen up or down, although it then moves on an arc that pushes it further away at all but the top or bottom of the arc.

Once the brackets are bolted to your stock screen you can always add the extensions.

It installed fairly easy and fit very well. I measured and positioned it no less than 10 times, as this version requires you to drill your stock screen. At $300 or more for a new screen, there's no room for error.

A couple of things about the intallation:

1. The layout template will not wrap properly as your GSA windscreen has a step-down that throws things-off the drill hole positions. You'll have to place new marks on the template - I moved things 1/8" further out from the markings on the template.

2. Don't count on the template markings being perfect. That is, my left side bracket that was pre-installed on the X-Creen was not perfectly perpendicular/straight - so the bottom hole was off to the inside by 1/16". That seems like very little, but Lexan will not flex, so they have to be perfect or you could crack your screen your X-Creen or stock windscreen if you force things.

3. The directions have a subtle mistake, the M4 bolts that connect to your stock screen are shown as mounting from the front but they actually mount from the back, with the M4 friction nuts facing towards the front. You'll figure that out as you put it together, as the plastic mounting bracket has a recess for the friction nut (this is the bracket that faces you as you sit on the bike).

4. It calls for a 6mm drill bit, I would recommend getting one if you don't have one - I used a non-metric bit that was close, but the hole was just a bit bigger than it should be - and thus less friction for the nuts to grab/seat.

Lastly, if you're not worried about theft I would use the clamp on style. You should have nerves of steel if you're going to drill into your existing windscreen - one slip or mistake in measuring and you're going to have holes in your screen that you don't need, or worse - cracking, scratching or compromised stock windscreen.

Here's the unit mounted.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
LXDDLE
ROBBXR

Oddometer: 210
That looks sweet! Turbulence?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
MplsMoto
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXDDLE View Post
That looks sweet! Turbulence?
Good so far, I tipped the top forward 3 or 4 clicks from the position in the photo and things got pretty smooth. Your results may vary of course as it's all height dependent - I'm 5'11".

The position I chose to mount the screen was 3/4" lower than the template and directions prescribed, but then again the GSA screen has a U-shape that most other screens do not so you'll want to make sure there's overlap at the bottom of the extension.

Basically I put it in a position that allowed me to tip and back towards me if necessary - but I'm finding better results tipping it forward.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 426
The MRA looks very neat on the GSA, I thought that it was gonna look odd since the oem windshield doesn't have rounded edges like the MRA has.

I was thinking about getting this:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...800GS-lockable

It seems that it almost follow the GSA windshield lines when installed.
Did anybody try it yet?
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote