ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Southern Va Dirt Roads

Heres a project Im working on , Im mapping all the dirt roads in southern Va .What I consider southern Va is up to 40 from the state line and from 460 in the east out to 220 to the west so thats my focus. Hopfully When Im done there will be dirt/gravel alternatives to the highways in this part of the world, so someone could leave the hampton roads area and ride maybe up to 40% gravel roads to the mountains where there is naturally more options for riding . Also it could give some one the oportunity to get some dust on their bike off of I-95/or 85 . Im going to include marked paved connectors for the best scenery/ high % of gravel for the most likely used routes . Later I plan on putting waypoints at the beginning and end of each dirt road to make it a bit easier to route I think . The map also includes all Non ethanol gas stations marked in the area , with notes on each station on the waypoint along with POI marked . I prefer to ride the roads before I mark them on the map to verify they are still dirt or open for traffic . I also will put a way point for any know issue on a road .

Key (which on the map details also)
Blue = Dirt or gravel note: if a road is partially gravel I will normally mark the complete road or up to the nearest intersection
Green=Paved Va back road , no lines
Yellow=Paved with lines
Waypoints
Gas pump = non ethanol stations
Red square with circle = Advisory for road
all others click on them to find out .

The creator of the site Im using is a member here and has another project he is working on , there is a pop up over the embedded map so after checking it out the close button is on the bottom so you can see the map .

Here the direct link to the map .http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=112257

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 06:32 AM
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,873
Moved to SE regional.

The GPS tracks forums are for track files.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
Great project. Only 1/4 of it comes up on my screen, guess it's a "work in progress". Too bad about the pop-up, you might want to highlight the note about getting past it.

I'd like to make a map of the trails & good twisties around here. I'll keep an eye on your progress, so I can learn from it. What's the program called that you're using? I know you can't be using just google-maps alone.

I was thinking if it's not too complicated, that it would be great for mapping the various routes for the ADV rallies. That way each of the routes could be mapped in a different color. That would allow folks to try routes that they couldn't make during the rally, or re-ride them again later. Maybe it could develop into an "ADVrider rally route database". (Sometimes it's hard to remember where you've been, especially with a hangover! )
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Glenn Im using Dualsportmaps.com by Craftycoder here on the site , I added an direct link . There is also a phone App the works with the site or you can down load just the gps files then load them via your gps software (mapsource) . I started the project in google earth then found this software/website and moved my work there . Its very strait forward to use , it took me a bit because Im using a old dell laptop with 1280x800 res and unless I full screened I didnt see the options pop up . The maps can also be made private so you can let who you want see it or hide it untill its finished .

Here how it easy it is to make a track that traces the road you want to mark on DSM .
1. Click the Modify tracks tab on the left
2. Click New track button
3. use the cursor to put the track points on the road ( I normally use 3 points double click after you put the last way point)
4. Click the snap to road button , a box appears explaining it , click the button in the box , then a new box pops up asking is this ok , make sure it snapped it to the road correctly .
5.Click the name of the track (right now its named new track) change the name of the track to what you want it
6.click the color beside the track name and set the color and tag the track if you like
7.Click the Save track button and your done with that one .
It all takes about a minute .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 09-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Moved to SE regional.

The GPS tracks forums are for track files.
I put it there because you can download the track file off the site I embedded and now linked , but either place is fine . If people are wondering how to download there is a download button at the bottom of the map tab on the left. Youll get a zip file that contains 2 gpx files and a kml file for google earth.

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 06:10 AM
Old 09-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
I clicked the link & get the whole map now. I see you're planning to eventually route as far west as the Blue Ridge Parkway. Cool.

Thanks for describing the mapping process. Sounds simple enough. It'll give me a reason to play with the GPS I got last year.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Yeah I really want to get to the Blue Ridge trail but thats a good hike for me and is going to be difficult to get first hand knowledge of the back roads up that way . I used to work the martinville danville area and remember cutting through on some dirt roads now and then but I cant remember where they are . I cant take the VDOT surface maps for face value either do to most are almost 10 years old and in the county roads around here about 15% have been paved since then . So from the surface map I check google earth which is a bit newer sat imagery than the maps , then I try to ride it with the bike or cut through the area when Im working or on my personal vehicle when Im in that area . I have quite a few roads Im going to add as soon as I get a chance to verify them .

Heres the link to the DSM thread on ADVrider here .http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Monday Im going to hopfully be in Southampton so Ill can get some tracks added to the eastern part of the map . The map looks too empty in that direction
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Bump

Added a bunch of dirt roads in southampton county. Now go ride um knuckle heads .
Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Bumping on back up , there been a good bit thats been added since it has slid down the board .

NC guys this in on the NC VA line so not to far from yall also ...