Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
cam_roger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Garmin this, Garmin that...

I had an old school Garmin gps (non mapping) and it treated me well. But why do all I see on this board is Garmin gps units, period? Doesn't anyone use Magellan? Their new line uses SD cards instead of proprietary cards that you can only get so big. I mean a 512mb SD card is pretty cheap compared to a 128mb Garmin card. Does Magellan just not have the software tools neccesary for our application?

Any input is appreciated,

Roger
KLR650
cam_roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
You can get the Garmin 2610 which uses CF cards, a 2GB card will hold the entire North American mapset.

I've had a couple of Garmin units, and my 276C kicks so much ass, I really can't think of wanting anything else. Proprietary cards or not. A big part of the equation for me is the software, and MapSource is better than the others I've seen.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe

I've had a couple of Garmin units, and my 276C kicks so much ass, I really can't think of wanting anything else. Proprietary cards or not. A big part of the equation for me is the software, and MapSource is better than the others I've seen.
Echo above comments, and I've flown with several of their brilliant aviation units.

Innovative, great customer support, great hardware and great software leave me not feeling the need to look elsewhere. And I don't think I'm missing much.

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
roamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradVardy
Echo above comments, and I've flown with several of their brilliant aviation units.

Innovative, great customer support, great hardware and great software leave me not feeling the need to look elsewhere. And I don't think I'm missing much.
Same here. I have 4 Garmins. Plus, my friends have Garmins, witch means we can swap routes and tracks via email real easy.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
I went the Lowrance route for 3 reasons -

1. Uses cheap SD cards for map\route storage. I don't have to carry a laptop with me if I need more map coverage. I just carry a postage stamp sized SD card with the data I need and swap it out when needed. FWIW - I've got the majority of the SE, in high detail, loaded on a 512MB SD card.
2. The Lowrance software, MapCreate 6.3 Topo, has everything I need for national forest, water, and public roads in one package. Comparing this to my buddies Garmin software I would have needed 3 different sets of software from Garmin for the same coverage. FWIW - It appears that Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance all purchase their map databases from Navteq. Then each manufacturer wraps their own GUI around the Navteq database. Lowrance chooses to give you all the database info instead of separating national forests, topo, and roads like Garmin.
3. I purchased the H2O plus package which came with software, SD card, card reader\writer, and 12vDC adapter for ~$260. Seemed like a lot of value for my $$ compared to similar Garmin and Magellan handhelds.

P.S. Several members of this board have had good experiences with Lowrance customer support.

P.S.S. If you want autorouting then look at something other than the H2O. I prefer to map my routes ahead of time so autorouting wasn't high on my priority list.

svwayne screwed with this post 08-19-2005 at 07:58 PM
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
cam_roger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
1. Autorouting is not high on the list, but a useful tool for sure.

2. So there is no way for my freind with the street pilot to share data with a magellan or a lowrance? I understand they have different software so routes and the such wouldn't be possible, how about waypoints?

3. A couple of years ago when I looked at Garmin it would have cost me about $500.00 in memory cards just to take a two day trip with detailed maps (you know for when droning gets a little old), has this changed?

I want to save some dough, I like SD cards (I have some for other devices and they are readily available EVERYWHERE), but I also want what works. I have no problem getting another Garmin, but I just thought it odd that I didn't hear much about the magellan products, they have certainly been around a long time and I just assumed that they had a viable product. Is Magellan's mapping software the weak point? Is no autorouting the big weakpoint of the Lowrance? I've been to mega-lo-mart and tried asking questions there but I think the only true way to find out is to try them for a while, just hoping someone has tried the Magellan and can give some feedback.

Thanks for the info guys,

Roger
KLR650
cam_roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
I'm using a Meridian Platinum with direct route and have been happy with it. I like the auto-routing and it also has a mini weather station that tracks barometric pressure and provides temp. I am looking at the Lowrance that a couple people here are using but the magellan dose everything I want. The SD cards are also a big plus.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,777
For durability, inexpensive CF cards that can carry all the maps of the US, and pur functionality, the Garmin is hard to beat.

IMHO the few dollars you save on a Magellin wont make up for the quality maps, auto-routing and support of the Garmin units.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I've used the Magellan Meridian Gold for all my DS and off-road rides for the past 3 years. It works great! The SD card was one one of the selling points for me. Being able to store routes and tracks for a whole trip on the card is really nice. For more information on GPS units check this site, http://gpsinformation.net/ .

My club regularly organizes GPS guided dual sport rides. This means providing routes in both Garmin and Magellan formats. The best programs I've found to convert formats is Easy GPS and GPS Trackmaker .

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #10
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
Just got an Iway500. Great unit, full of features, cheap, but verrrry heavy. More than 2lbs. and has a hard drive.

I wouldn't get it for off road, for slab - I'm concerned. I mounted the unit on 1/2" foam. Happy with the shock absorbing, but now I'm concerned about the RAM clamp holding the unit while it whips around. I'm now trying to figure out a lanyard solution, because I think it's going to pop off - just when?
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #11
funkydrum
Started 2-Smoking Again..

Oddometer: 373
Originally Magellan and Trimble were pretty much the only game in consumer GPS. However, Garmin was aggressive with product development, had a great user interface and I think just out-sold Magellan.

There seem to be some very happy Magellan users (I like their new hand-held units). But as someone mentioned, Garmin has become so prevalent that sharing waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. is difficult if you are a Magellan user.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:25 AM   #12
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
The fact that 90 percent of Garmins are completely waterproof, and have much better mapping is why I personally stick with them. Some of the Garmins I will not consider anymore after owning, pretty much anything in the etrex series since they are basically glued together, or rather snapped together with a flimsy rubber band wrapped/glued around them and with their click stick issues. I would however at least own an etrex yellow for top speed tests since I basically consider it disposable for its price if it gets detsroyed falling off.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #13
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
I print out maps from Mapquest for the price of ink and paper!

If I get lost....I look at the map
Old 08-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
Lujo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Here's another vote for the Lowrance H20 Plus. Utilitarian compared to Garmins, but sees satellites *much* better than a Garmin Legend, and in bang for buck the Garmins didn't seem to come too close.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
I print out maps from Mapquest for the price of ink and paper!

If I get lost....I look at the map
And what if you don't know where you are located on the map...
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote