Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,516
It weighs a heap and acts on the front suspension
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #32
Dan950ser
NW Shredder

Oddometer: 392
As well as the horrible mount to the bottom of the radiator. If it takes a hard hit there the force goes strait to the radiator and then your stuck in the middle of nowhere.

2013 KTM 300 SX: converted into woods weapon
Dan950ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #33
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Just out of curiosity - what benefits has underseat oil tank? I have never heard about problems with original oil tank and it's weight is in lowest position possible too.

There's no reason for these mods. None what so ever...

PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #34
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
As well as the horrible mount to the bottom of the radiator. If it takes a hard hit there the force goes strait to the radiator and then your stuck in the middle of nowhere.
And don't forget the most important one

It looks cool as bro
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
And don't forget the most important one

It looks cool as bro
Nice to hear some Ozzie slang .... chur for the comments and saweetas eh.

Makes the bike look lighter too.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:43 AM   #36
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan950ser View Post
I imagine this "can" happen, but bearing in mind that oil tank is also supported by triangles connected directly to frame, how possible is that in real life?
Regarding weight advantage - saving few pounds just 1 foot from the ground and adding almost same weight (new tank plus oil lines etc) to 3 feet from the ground - how much of a gain is this actually? Can you actually benefit from that?
I agree this "cool looking" point completely and long winter is arriving - there's must be something to modify during this time
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #37
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
I imagine this "can" happen, but bearing in mind that oil tank is also supported by triangles connected directly to frame, how possible is that in real life?
I've also sheared off one of those little 6mm bolts connecting those triangles to the frame. The oil tank seems seriously robust, the mounts not so much.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #38
PowerCell
SE990R

Preview
I hear you guys. I really do. I feel your pain. But what I'm really hearing is how you want a new Öhlins rear shock... that, I can help you with...

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
I love this...keep posting pictures
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #40
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,462
It would seem that a 2>1 setup would open up a spot for for the oil tank that may alleviate the need for some of the welding and wiring mods.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #41
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 710
Not to derail this thread.. but.... Ken is there a thread anywhere that details any of the modifications and changes you have made to your SE? I'd love to see/hear about your bike, but more specifically, why you did some of the things you did to your bike.

Like you (I"m assuming here) I am riding my SE more and more off road but more trails and such vs. desert riding/racing. I'm attempting to make mine more durable, but also fun, and obviously lighter if I can do that as well. I've only had mine for about a year, and haven't done too much to it for now (it came to me fairly well outfitted). I have a few things I'd like to do- 17" wheels, rekluse, and suspension are tops on the list but always curious to see what others have done to their SE's to get some ideas.

Also might I suggest a new thread on suspension to talk a little more about exactly what you are offering from Ohlins and roughly how it compares to the stock setup? coming from a road racing background, I know suspension really is where the biggest gains are to be had for pushing the envelope and feeling comfortable. I'm taking a Jimmy Lewis school in a few weeks (all of us in our class will be on LC8's) and really looking forward to hearing what he has to say, but hopefully will have someone look at my bike in the near future and help me with some baseline suspension setup (what's proper sag, etc.). Unfortunately/fortunately in my area, there are a couple of really good KTM shops (KTM World/Highland Park), and some really good suspension shops (Ohlins, Traxxion, Thermosman), but none of them really have any experience with getting a 450lb bike to handle single track in the woods. lol.

I know all it takes is time, but just throwing out some suggestions. :) any info is appreciated. I"m sure one of these days I'll be contacting you about your new Ohlins setup. I know a few guys up there, and have run a lot of their suspension on road bikes, but haven't tried it dirty style yet.

back to your regularly scheduled programming...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #42
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
Also might I suggest a new thread on suspension to talk a little more about exactly what you are offering from Ohlins and roughly how it compares to the stock setup?
Here you go!

I'm interested in all the mods too, but my priority for the SE now is EFI. I hate those CV carbs more and more every time I ride my 990!
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #43
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Here you go!

I'm interested in all the mods too, but my priority for the SE now is EFI. I hate those CV carbs more and more every time I ride my 990!
I've seen and read thru most of that thread but there's a lot of "fluff" in there as well. mainly my questions are about the forks- what exactly is he selling for the price? do you have to send you forks to him for install, or find someone locally that can do it, or is it a DIY job if you have tools? what the stock travel on the SE vs. the Ohlins setup? same for rear but I assume the rear is just a bolt on application. but what are the advantages of the Ohlins setup? high and low speed compression for forks or shock? hi/lo dampening? preload? any issues with the reservior and the subframe? etc. etc. etc.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
PowerCell
SE990R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
I've seen and read thru most of that thread but there's a lot of "fluff" in there as well. mainly my questions are about the forks- what exactly is he selling for the price? do you have to send you forks to him for install, or find someone locally that can do it, or is it a DIY job if you have tools? what the stock travel on the SE vs. the Ohlins setup? same for rear but I assume the rear is just a bolt on application. but what are the advantages of the Ohlins setup? high and low speed compression for forks or shock? hi/lo dampening? preload? any issues with the reservior and the subframe? etc. etc. etc.

For the SE you can install everything yourself if you're competent in the shop. Stock travel is 255, our Öhlins kit takes it to 277mm.

You can read about the fork cartridges here:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/TTX22CartridgeKit

And the rear shock here:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/TTX44MkII

Old 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #45
PowerCell
SE990R