ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #196
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!
 
Tha Rick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Tha North Springs, Co(Banned camp rehab)
Oddometer: 5,170
Bright lights, big happy

I wanted something a little brighter than my stock 950A lights, (hold a bic lighter at arms length and you get the idea) and even with the PIAA's that came with the bike when I bought it, I still felt that I was riding blind at night.

A pic of the bike, with the PIAA's just below the stock light's...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So Justin came through with a great deal:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=114

and I bit into that like a hungry honey badger on a prarie dog.

the kit:
DCIM\100GOPRO


I needed to attach the light mount to my crash bar's so I had these made to do the task. The hose clamps are a bit cheezy, but I wanted to test out a few things so it works for now...And yeah, the bike is dirty, one of the benefit's of living on a long dirt road.
DCIM\100GOPRO
DCIM\100GOPRO

and mounting the light's was easy, as I also opted for the harness. This took about 1 1/2 hours and 2 beer's.
DCIM\100GOPRO
DCIM\100GOPRO

DCIM\100GOPRO

The result- Stock light:
DCIM\100GOPRO

Stock with PIAA's...
DCIM\100GOPRO

And with Justin's AWESOME light's!

DCIM\100GOPRO

I still need to aim them, and I'll get a real life test ride on them shortly...

Thanks again Justin! Easy install, great product!

Edit: notice the sky color, changed by the auto dimmer on the go pro...
__________________
Happy Trails Y'all.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.

Tha Rick screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 09:58 PM
Tha Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #197
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kissimmee Florida
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Thanks! Will be going out tomorrow per our email discussion :)
Received! Look and feel extremely well made. Now just have to figure out how to install and wire them up.
__________________
Current ride: 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
Past rides: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 1997 Honda Goldwing SE, 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 6RR, 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, 1995 Suzuki Katana 600, 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, 1980 Suzuki GS250T
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #198
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post

Thanks again Justin! Easy install, great product!

Edit: notice the sky color, changed by the auto dimmer on the go pro...
Thanks for the feedback. And yes, it's impossible to get good comparative shots with a camera that doesn't have manual settings. Looking forward to your thoughts after you get a night ride in :)
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #199
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kissimmee Florida
Oddometer: 275
Ok, my electrical knowledge sucks. I want to wire the dimmer to the high beam using the bypass option. On my Tiger 800XC, the high beam wire from the switch to the lights is a blue/white. Can I just splice in the blue dimmer wire to this? Or do I need a relay? I assume fused to be safe as well?

If tapping input power into switched power (taillights), would that need a relay as well? Or just simply run a fused wire from the taillights up to the dimmer?

Seems simple but these two things are holding me up. Guess I am wondering why the need for a relay if tapping in past the high beam switch.

Thanks
__________________
Current ride: 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
Past rides: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 1997 Honda Goldwing SE, 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 6RR, 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, 1995 Suzuki Katana 600, 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, 1980 Suzuki GS250T
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #200
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Ok, my electrical knowledge sucks. I want to wire the dimmer to the high beam using the bypass option. On my Tiger 800XC, the high beam wire from the switch to the lights is a blue/white. Can I just splice in the blue dimmer wire to this? Or do I need a relay? I assume fused to be safe as well?

If tapping input power into switched power (taillights), would that need a relay as well? Or just simply run a fused wire from the taillights up to the dimmer?

Seems simple but these two things are holding me up. Guess I am wondering why the need for a relay if tapping in past the high beam switch.

Thanks
First off - second diagram on this page is what you want: http://ledrider.com/dimmer-wiring/

Second thing to understand is that the blue highbeam wire does not supply any power. All it does is trigger an internal switch, that bypasses the dimmed setting and make the dimmer go to full power. No relay is need on that wire. A fuse is recommended (1-2 amp).

You don't want to tap power from aux lights directly from an existing circuit. Power for aux lights should come directly from the battery or an accessory fuse block. The purpose of a relay is to switch the direct power on and off with ignition.

Please shoot me an email if this isn't clear and I'll be happy to chat via phone to help you work through the wiring :)
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #201
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kissimmee Florida
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
First off - second diagram on this page is what you want: http://ledrider.com/dimmer-wiring/

Second thing to understand is that the blue highbeam wire does not supply any power. All it does is trigger an internal switch, that bypasses the dimmed setting and make the dimmer go to full power. No relay is need on that wire. A fuse is recommended (1-2 amp).

You don't want to tap power from aux lights directly from an existing circuit. Power for aux lights should come directly from the battery or an accessory fuse block. The purpose of a relay is to switch the direct power on and off with ignition.

Please shoot me an email if this isn't clear and I'll be happy to chat via phone to help you work through the wiring :)
Ok, I think I got it. Ok to tap dimmer blue wire into high beam wire after switch with 2 amp fuse. This should trigger full undimmed power when high beam switch it turned on.

Main power wired direct from battery to relay, post 30 of relay. Without going into an existing circuit, where would post 86 tap into? This is where I was thinking of the taillight. Goal of this is to have lights hot only on when ignition is on.

I don't know of another source to tap into. I dont have an additional fuse block set up yet but don't think I need one at this point.

Am I on the right track?
__________________
Current ride: 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
Past rides: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 1997 Honda Goldwing SE, 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 6RR, 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, 1995 Suzuki Katana 600, 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, 1980 Suzuki GS250T
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #202
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Ok, I think I got it. Ok to tap dimmer blue wire into high beam wire after switch with 2 amp fuse. This should trigger full undimmed power when high beam switch it turned on.

Main power wired direct from battery to relay, post 30 of relay. Without going into an existing circuit, where would post 86 tap into? This is where I was thinking of the taillight. Goal of this is to have lights hot only on when ignition is on.

I don't know of another source to tap into. I dont have an additional fuse block set up yet but don't think I need one at this point.

Am I on the right track?
Sounds like you are getting close :)

Blue wire taps into highbeam wire. We suggest a fuse there as a safety measure. No need for a switch there. What that will do is make the dimmer go to full power when you switch on the highbeams.

Correct, main power from battery goes to pin 30 on relay. Tap into your taillight for pin 86 on the relay. Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 87 goes to red wire on dimmer.

Black wire on dimmer goes to ground.
Grey wire on dimmer goes to light positive (red)
White wire on dimmer goes to light negative (black)

Let me know if that makes sense :)
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #203
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kissimmee Florida
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Sounds like you are getting close :)

Blue wire taps into highbeam wire. We suggest a fuse there as a safety measure. No need for a switch there. What that will do is make the dimmer go to full power when you switch on the highbeams.

Correct, main power from battery goes to pin 30 on relay. Tap into your taillight for pin 86 on the relay. Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 87 goes to red wire on dimmer.

Black wire on dimmer goes to ground.
Grey wire on dimmer goes to light positive (red)
White wire on dimmer goes to light negative (black)

Let me know if that makes sense :)
Ok good. Understand. Thanks for the help!

The relays always trip me up.

For those with a Tiger 800 looking where to mount the dimmer, I have the Puig touring screen and the mounting for that screen makes a perfect little shelf for the dimmer. Very clean looking and out of the way. The blue bypass wire will easily reach the highbeam wire under the gauge cluster. I removed the entire gauge and windscreen assembly to have access to the headlight loom. Pics will follow.
__________________
Current ride: 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
Past rides: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 1997 Honda Goldwing SE, 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 6RR, 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, 1995 Suzuki Katana 600, 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, 1980 Suzuki GS250T
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #204
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Ok good. Understand. Thanks for the help!

The relays always trip me up.

For those with a Tiger 800 looking where to mount the dimmer, I have the Puig touring screen and the mounting for that screen makes a perfect little shelf for the dimmer. Very clean looking and out of the way. The blue bypass wire will easily reach the highbeam wire under the gauge cluster. I removed the entire gauge and windscreen assembly to have access to the headlight loom. Pics will follow.
How did it go? Anything else you need help with? Let us know! :)
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #205
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Kissimmee Florida
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
How did it go? Anything else you need help with? Let us know! :)
Still working on it...lol. Didnt have much time last night but I decided to make things more complicated and added in a distribution block so I dont have 19 things hooked up to the battery. Will run my GPS and Lights off the block for now. All behind the relay so it will be keyed on. Taking my time and making it a clean install.

I soldered in the blue highbeam wire to the headlight loom and taped that all up. I am having trouble finding a 2-3amp fuse for this though. Smallest I can find locally is a 10A fuse with 12 gauge wire. Checking one more place today.
__________________
Current ride: 2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
Past rides: 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 1997 Honda Goldwing SE, 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 6RR, 1997 Suzuki TL1000S, 1995 Suzuki Katana 600, 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, 1980 Suzuki GS250T
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #206
Ned Kelly
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 27
Tha Rick,
Nice pics you posted.
Any pics with only the LED lights? For those who will can only run only the LED lights due to real estate or power output on the bike.
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #207
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
Tha Rick,
Nice pics you posted.
Any pics with only the LED lights? For those who will can only run only the LED lights due to real estate or power output on the bike.

Ned - not sure if you saw the pics I posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=194

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/IMG_6204.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...1/IMG_6205.JPG

Those pictures compare two silverstar halogen H4's to two LR5's. No other lights in pictures. Taken with a DSLR with the same settings for both shots.
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #208
Ned Kelly
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 27
Thanks for that link. I must have missed those. Looks good!
Ned Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #209
JustinP OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,291
FYI folks - the LR62R lights are on clearance. Great deal for a light that throws extremely far. ADV15 coupon applies to clearance priced items as well

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR62r

Note: these lights are big and ugly. Output/range is great. Would be perfect for a larger vehicle that needed downrange punch.
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #210
racedawg
Have bike will travel
 
racedawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Where in the hell is Yarnell?
Oddometer: 259
[QUOTE=JustinP;23997595]Yeah, just a positive and negative wire. You could just run it through a switch with the proper amp rating (10 amp or more would be more than enough). But, the "right" way is to use a relay to power the lights, with a switch to activate the relay. Or, you can switch the relay using the stock highbeam wire so they come on with your highbeams. Or, you can use one of our dimmers, and run the lights dimmed with the lowbeam, and tap into the highbeam to trigger full power. Lots of options :)

Here's some wiring examples for our dimmer: http://ledrider.com/dimmer-wiring/


Justin,
I just received a set of the of the XM- L lights. Above you describe wiring them with a relay using the high beam switch. Do you have a diagram of that not using the dimmer?

Thank you,
Racedawg
__________________
98 1100 GS
01 XR400 Plate Lost to the fire
04 KTM 400 EXC plate /
09 KTM 950 SE
-----------
racedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014