Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #76
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
It will stop, unfortunatly so will brain functions, heart, lungs etc...
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #77
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
It will stop, unfortunatly so will brain functions, heart, lungs etc...
Also unaware when I am asleep. Thankfully.

Tag line is appropriate, urbanXJ.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #78
duty2
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I too hear Cicadas 24/7. If I was to sit around and think of that noise in my head, I'd be locked up somewhere. Never had or used ear plugs in Vietnam (Arty and Inf)) the 3 years I was there. I'm using some ear plugs now to try and save what I have left. Hope younger riders will take heed.
duty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #79
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I have it. 54. Been riding for 30 years. The GS I just picked up last April has been giving me fits, in terms of figuring out how to knock down the wind noise. I'm on a Parabellum screen now, which does a pretty good job. Also added a spoiler to my Shoei fullface, which has helped as well.

Always been an earplug wearer - I really think this new (to me) GS is the source of my tinnitus. Went to otiologist and had a full hearing test. Showed a big dip around 4000 hz, which he says is pretty much expected for someone my age. He said the odd thing with that is, it doesn't matter what the frequency was of the sound that caused the loss, the dip shows up around 4 KHz regardless. Kind of odd, but apparently that is the way it goes; and the older you get, the more this happens - it's cumulative, as others have already said.

Anyway - my goal is to mitigate any additional sources that contribute to more loss, so if that means getting out of the GS and into an RT, then so be it. I'd rather notch it down a click on my ride, and be able to enjoy a good Bird solo, or aria when I'm 70.

Gettin' old sh*t - it's a bitch.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #80
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_t View Post
I have it. 54. Been riding for 30 years. The GS I just picked up last April has been giving me fits, in terms of figuring out how to knock down the wind noise. I'm on a Parabellum screen now, which does a pretty good job. Also added a spoiler to my Shoei fullface, which has helped as well.

Always been an earplug wearer - I really think this new (to me) GS is the source of my tinnitus. Went to otiologist and had a full hearing test. Showed a big dip around 4000 hz, which he says is pretty much expected for someone my age. He said the odd thing with that is, it doesn't matter what the frequency was of the sound that caused the loss, the dip shows up around 4 KHz regardless. Kind of odd, but apparently that is the way it goes; and the older you get, the more this happens - it's cumulative, as others have already said.

Anyway - my goal is to mitigate any additional sources that contribute to more loss, so if that means getting out of the GS and into an RT, then so be it. I'd rather notch it down a click on my ride, and be able to enjoy a good Bird solo, or aria when I'm 70.

Gettin' old sh*t - it's a bitch.
So are you stating that despite wearing ear plugs you still developed tinnitus from the bikes?

Because I believe that's what happened to me, as difficult as it is to believe.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #81
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So are you stating that despite wearing ear plugs you still developed tinnitus from the bikes?

Yes. Got GS in April, and immediately started noticing ear ringing after riding it. Now the best part: my other bike, for over 10 years, has been a Harley with loud, but not excessively loud, pipes. Lots of miles on it with same helmet and plugs- never had the ringing issue after a ride.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #82
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I have had it for a few years. I have also logged between half a mil & 3/4 million miles on bikes. At the same time I have been around lot's of firearms going boom, saws, nail guns, sanders & other woodworking tools. I remember back in the 70's wearing ear plugs while shooting, even wore/wear them while duck/goose hunting. I let my guard down on those power tools until about 20 years ago, so damage done. Anyway, for 80% of my riding...no ear protection, so I am leaning towards that being a major contributor.

So, my question is to those that ride and have ridden a lot...are you experiencing any Tinnitus? Mine is like a herd of Cicadas & you can go to this link to find what sound your head is producing:

http://www.ata.org/sounds-of-tinnitus

Oddly enough, a few months ago I had the dreaded routine garden hose with a camera on the end "procedure". Ever since then, my Tinnitus has kicked up the volume by quite a bit. I think something in the anesthesia may have irritated it.
What, oh, ok,yeh
Got it
Wind noise etc.
Just try to ignore it.
Got surfers ears as well
no wonder I can not hear my wife.
Try to wear ear plugs now
But I think the horse has bolted
With all my decibels
Lol
Cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #83
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
What, oh, ok,yeh
Got it
Wind noise etc.
Just try to ignore it.
Got surfers ears as well
no wonder I can not hear my wife.
Try to wear ear plugs now
But I think the horse has bolted
With all my decibels
Lol
Cheers
Is that a poem?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #84
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Tinnitus has almost always been part of my adult life. I am nearly 60 now, and have long since learned to live with it. Days of using chain saws and driving tractors are more likely the cause than motorcycling. Few wore ear protection 40 years ago.

I have been riding since I was about 11 years old, but have never been much of a speed freak, except for the odd blast to 100 mph sans helmet in my youth. The bike was noisy enough, but the real scramming was from wind in my hair.

My hearing seems quite acute for some kinds of sound, but following a conversation in a noisy environment is difficult, as is using a telephone.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #85
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

My hearing seems quite acute for some kinds of sound, but following a in a noisy environment is difficult, as is using a telephone.
Try holding the phone up to the other ear, for many times the hearing damage isn't the same in both ears. It was a"duh" thing for me when I finally tried holding the phone up to the other side of my head.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #86
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Try holding the phone up to the other ear, for many times the hearing damage isn't the same in both ears. It was a"duh" thing for me when I finally tried holding the phone up to the other side of my head.
Thanks for the hint, but been there, done that…… sometimes a bit better, but not much in it. The bottom line is that I have seldom ever used a phone for much more than arranging to meet. These days it tends to be done by SMS text, or Facebook messaging these days. !,000 baht (about $US33.00) prepaid does me the best part of a year for my mobile phone. I don't have a fixed line service.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #87
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I've been wearing hearing aids for years now and I blame it on the three loud M's of the 60's: Music, Motorcycles and Machine Guns.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #88
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,841
I blame it on my own stupidity.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #89
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,357
Bluhduh resonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post

My Aunt has it bad, the culprit was an ice-maker at the cafe where she worked. The hum was almost inaudible to most workers, but it set-up a resonance with her skull and jaw bones. Ear plugs did nothing.
I had a similar thing happen the first and last week at a woodworking shop in my youth. Plugs and muffs were worn all day, and I could not hear the (well worn) glasspacks in my '65 Mustang when I left work.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #90
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
There is a good article on PBS News Hour. It airs tonight.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...tus_11-06.html
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote