Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Rebound damping is probably the biggest issue.
Exactly. Does the GSA have dampening adjustment?

I noticed the bouncing the last time my wife and I rode 2-up on my Aprilia. At the next stop, I gave the rear shock 2 more clicks on the dampener and the issue was gone. I didn't even need tools, just a dime to turn the slotted adjustment knob.

The best thing I have purchased for 2-up riding has been the intercom. Since it is wireless, it even works on separate bikes (for a limited range).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #17
davesride
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My Mrs and I have done quite a bit of two up touring. We have a 2012 Vstrom 650 ADV. No issues at all. Lots of room with the stock cases, she did buy us a Corbin seat though... nice touch. As far as the riding goes... I just have to remind her once and a while not to lean into the turns but just to follow the bike, then all is good. I am 220, she is 115. I never have the suspension cranked to the end front or rear!
davesride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
The Hag
Daily rider

Oddometer: 22
2-up suspension adjustment

My '05 gs had manually adjustable shocks, preload adjustable front and rear, rebound damping adjustable rear only. I'd max out rear preload for 2-up touring and adjust rebound soft for dirt, and bad roads, firm for super-slab or nicely paved twisties.

My '09 gs ad w/ESA was too soft when set for 2-up, tried using the off-road settings, but that put too much preload on the front. It has three rebound damping settings which was nice to change on the fly. The Yacugars I have on this bike now are sprung for the weights I carry, and the sag is properly adjusted. I opted for fully adjustable front and rear shocks with a hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear with 15mm of adjustment, I have yet to max out the rear preload. You may or may not want the fully adjustable front shock, I am a control "aficionado" (freak), and the extra adjustability has allowed me to totally transform this bike's handling. The bike is way more composed, especially when fully loaded 2-up. I paid about $2400 which included a Mudsling. I think you could get a fully adjustable rear and front with rebound damping only for about $1600.

Good suspension is spendy, but they all seem to cost about the same, depending on options. The Yacugars are steel, which means they shouldn't eat themselves up if I'm traveling and don't get them serviced in a timely fashion, which can happen with the aluminum shocks.

Can't say enough good about Ted Porter and the www.beemershop.com
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Awesome, thank you for the replies everyone!

$1600 bucks is a big wad of cash to lay out right now just to be able to ride well two up. Is there any other options? As others have said, it feels very soft, very squishy and even the clutch seems a bit out of sorts when I set the ESA to two up. Is there a magical ESA setting I should be zeroing in? When it's just me, the bike is all out ballistic and balanced perfectly. It's not horrible two up, but just feels unstable at times and awkward coming away from a full stop.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
FLX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
i ride a r65 probability 90% of the time with my wife on the back and camping gear, works well. before i owned a 250cc mz wich was as comfortable but a bit to slow with two people and camping gear on it. i think for two up you have to enjoy minimalism otherwise it wont work..
FLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Just upgraded to a Victory Vision, last week. My wife loves to ride as much as I do. She got her endorsement and the plan was for each of us to have a bike. It turned out that she was not really cut out to ride on her own.

We went on several trips on my Kingpin but it got really uncomfortable after about 2 hours. Haven't been able to do a big trip yet, but this bike handles much better and is going to be much better for the long rides.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
buckthedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
My gf went from "can we go home yet?" after an hour on the stock bonneville to, " do we have to go home yet?" After all day on my vstrom. I hardly notice she's there...handling wise. I do enjoy how she reminds me she's there though. I'd rather ride with her than without. The bonneville will be transforming itself into a ring very soon. Its time we treasure together.
buckthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:44 AM   #23
dovetailredux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
My wife and I toured around Cape Breton this summer on my Versys, which is not a very big bike. It has an Elka shock on it and I was quite happy with the way the bike handled. This was my wife's first tour with me and I wanted to make sure she enjoyed it, so we went at a pace that she was comfortable with. This ended up being slower than I would normally ride but the pleasure ended up being the same, if not greater, since it allowed us both to take in the scenery. When she was delighted with a view she would give me a big hug, which felt pretty darn good on the bike.
dovetailredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #24
don07tncav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
We put over 150,000 miles two up on a Honda Valkyrie and now ride a Vision. After 30,000 miles we're happy with the selection. The stock seat does start to bother me after 400 miles so we're looking at a RDL for it. We'll head out for three weeks at a time and are still talking to each other when we get back. On the VV we just talk and I wear a bluetooth for my tunes, on the Valk we both had bluetooth.
don07tncav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Awesome, thank you for the replies everyone!

$1600 bucks is a big wad of cash to lay out right now just to be able to ride well two up. Is there any other options? As others have said, it feels very soft, very squishy and even the clutch seems a bit out of sorts when I set the ESA to two up. Is there a magical ESA setting I should be zeroing in? When it's just me, the bike is all out ballistic and balanced perfectly. It's not horrible two up, but just feels unstable at times and awkward coming away from a full stop.
So the rear dampening adjustment is maxed out? I certainly wouldn't spend any money until I tried adjusting what you have.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,322
I have had the same issues in the past. My wife and I have been 2 up touring for about 9 years now. She has no want to get her own bike, ever. I'm ok with that. She looked at a Can-Am touring model. Sticker shock set in fast.
Our new Triumph Explorer is the first bike we have owned that hasn't had to be re-sprung and re-valved. We are both big people over 6'ft I go 240 and my wife is about 190. I have over time learned to ride slower when we are touring it helps me enjoy the ride and we miss less. Cruise control has made things a lot smoother.
Over the years my wife has endured some hard, long rides with her knee not having adequate seat to peg room. I try to stop more often knowing this. Adventure style bikes seem to fit us best. We tried a Goldwing, she hated the floorboards as she had one choice to position her feet and that is flat. I was surprised by her feedback.

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by don07tncav View Post
We put over 150,000 miles two up on a Honda Valkyrie and now ride a Vision. After 30,000 miles we're happy with the selection. The stock seat does start to bother me after 400 miles so we're looking at a RDL for it. We'll head out for three weeks at a time and are still talking to each other when we get back. On the VV we just talk and I wear a bluetooth for my tunes, on the Valk we both had bluetooth.
I really hated the look of the Vision when I first saw it, but it grew on me. Good looking bike.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #28
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
This pig gets down the road pretty damn comfortably and with the quite stock pipes, we are chatting and listening to music the whole way.

Did 1,000 miles last weekend and had a blast.

She's even practicing her wave.

But I told her she needs more pirate face.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #29
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,406
We've toured 2up on my Yamaha YX600 Radian and my DR650SE. I've made some ergonomics mods to the DR. I still have to increase the size and traction of the passenger pegs though. The Butty Buddy has been a notable improvement. Even the Seat Concepts seat wasn't wide enough or the right shape for passenger comfort. The Butty Buddy is. The Suzuki tailrack helps secure it.

I used to ride my KZ440 all over the Chicago area 2up too, but never took a trip longer than 2hrs in one direction like that.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Yeah, I might be getting a different bike here soon that'll be better for two up (for me at least). Hopefully the finance guys can work a stellar deal out for me