User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,368
Dad and Daughter try VCHSS

Tomorrow, my youngest and I are giving the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series a try.

I've already participated in one hare scramble this year...Maryland Competition Riders' Hangover Hare Scramble last January...My goal was to ride the whole race and not be remembered at "that guy"...I think I succeeded. I'm not in great shape, but I don't think I'm in bad shape and riding is much more fun than the gym.

I'm lucky to be able to have my daughters share my love for off road riding. They have both been riding for a couple years. Both girls just upgraded bikes a couple months ago. The 12 yr old moved from a clutchless KLX 110 to a clutched TTR 125. She's still trying to get comfortable with the bike and has chosen to be the official photographer for tomorrow's event. The 9 yr old moved from a TTR 50 to her sister's KLX 110....and she loves it. Bigger wheels, more suspension and more power...

When I told her I was planning on racing this event she asked if she could too.

This will be her first hare scramble but not her first competition...This past spring she rode in the Washington Area Trail Riders Spring Blind Enduro...her first event...and her first win.

Since this particular race is local to us, we went and registered today so we would have one less thing to worry about tomorrow. So tomorrow she's competing in the Jr Mini Womens class and I'll be riding in the 45+ C group...

Got the numbers on the bikes and they are all prepped and ready to go. Cheyenne got in a little bit of practice as well..

EOD3MC screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 06:54 PM
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,071
she's keeping her head up and looking way ahead, you've taught her well. the best part of working a HS is watching/helping the kids.

good luck, have fun.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
GSJOE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Have a blast!
GSJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Awesome!! Good luck to you both!
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

So today was Cheyenne's first Hare Scramble. She's been rally excited about doing this all week...

Before the race, she was ready to go

We signed her up for the Horizons Mini Junior Womens class....Good choice since there were only three girls in the class counting Cheyenne.

She was tired and beat by the end, but excited that she finished...On the way back to the truck she said she didn't want to race any more Hare Scrambles...she likes just riding the trails
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

I entered the 45+ C Class...

On the plus side, there were very few sections on the entire course that were difficult to ride (until you got really tired).
From the quick look at the scores on the way out, I placed somewhere in the 150's out of what looked like 180 riders in the C-class. Not sure where I ended up in the 45+ rankings. No major get offs and nothing broken - great day racing

BreeAnna was able to get two pictures of me riding...

This was at the bottom of a fairly big uphill. Lots of people watching...I think I got a good bit of air on this one.

Headed back into the woods....

Both photos were from lap 2, I had to take the goggles off, with my heavy breathing, they were foging up too much.

I knew I wouldn't be even close to fast, but I got a lot of satisfaction when I passed people that had just passed me when we got to technical sections and I cruised right passed

One of the other parts I found amusing...about 500 yds before the timing check point is the only sand on the course...on the second laps, I was whopped. Arms cramping, left hand half asleep...and I remember thinking...oh thank god the sand, I like sand....

My DRZ might not be the fanciest or fastest bike out there, but it does well for me...Love the DRZ...

EOD3MC screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 05:07 PM
Old 10-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

My Trophy Girl....

even though there were only three girls in her class...she earned it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Here's the Cheyenne over the bars clip...sorry for not keeping it in frame, but when she started going higher than the bike, I started moving

After tumbling in the dirt she ended up sitting with her legs out in front of her and her thumbs in the air saying "I'm OK"...still not completely sure if she was asking or telling...

Like I said earlier, she got back on and rode 6 more laps...
Old 10-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 5,071
give her a few days and she'll change her mind about racing another one.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
give her a few days and she'll change her mind about racing another one.
She's got about a week and a half...down side is the place we usually ride is hosting an open trail day locally the same day as the next/last race of the season 4 hours away...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
TedG540
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Congratulations, for you and your family. I finished 3 spots after you. I broke my radiator on the last lap, and limped in to the timing spewing steam.
TedG540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

Up until a couple days ago she couldn't even kick start the bike by herself. When we read through the rules and learned her race was a cold start, we started working on her being able to start it.
She finally figured it out and we even created a checklist for her to make sure she didn't miss anything...
neutral - check,
fuel - check,
kill switch in run - check,
kick start lever out - check

She got it on the first try
She even remembered to put her kickstand up (she has to stand on the pegs to kickstart)....
but she forgot about putting it in gear

Still pretty good for her first time...

EOD3MC screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 05:11 PM
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
EOD3MC OP
What will break next

We walked most of her track before her race and she was pretty confident about being able to ride it. She has ridden trails for about 2 years now and has completed a few pretty technical sections.

Was really glad to see her coming out of the woods with her head up and full of steam...

Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
wonderful family time

Congrats on creating some great family memories.

I can see both of your daughters in their teens and some smart ass boy saying you want to 'ride' and the daughter plays like knows nothing about riding and kicks his butt

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
I'm glad you both finished safely and had a good time.
Even if she doesn't do it again, I think it's still a great experience. I've done one as well and plan to do another. Though I learned a lot, and have some work to do.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote