Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,514
Ever have a day when you're not riding well?

Saturday, I jumped on the Uly for what I planned to be a three hour ride. Right away, I felt 'off'. It's hard to describe, but my lines weren't clean, I felt like I wasn't sitting on the bike right, after a short time I thought, "man, I just don't have it today" and went home.

Sunday I went out on the same road on the same bike with the same weather, and I felt completely comfortable and planted.

Weird. Is it only me?

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Nah I think that's how it works for everyone. Definitely does for me, especially off road (probably b/c off road I tend to ride at the limit of my ability whereas on the road I tend to be plunking along).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,263
Funny you say this. Saturday morning I felt the exact same way. To add to that, my face shield was fogging up, my eyes were watering from having the shield cracked, making seeing clearly almost impossible. It was real nice out, but I just didn't feel solid on the bike. I ended up limping it the rest of my short trip and stayed off til the afternoon when I felt better. I think it goes along with the spidey sense - sometimes its better to wait for another day.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Saturday, I jumped on the Uly for what I planned to be a three hour ride. Right away, I felt 'off'. It's hard to describe, but my lines weren't clean, I felt like I wasn't sitting on the bike right, after a short time I thought, "man, I just don't have it today" and went home.

Sunday I went out on the same road on the same bike with the same weather, and I felt completely comfortable and planted.

Weird. Is it only me?
Yep, I totally get where you're coming from. Just an "off" day. Those days can be kinda depressing - makes you feel like a crap rider and dents the confidence. On the other hand, it's great when you get those days on the bike where it feels like you can do no wrong !
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
Funny you say this. Saturday morning I felt the exact same way. To add to that, my face shield was fogging up, my eyes were watering from having the shield cracked, making seeing clearly almost impossible. It was real nice out, but I just didn't feel solid on the bike. I ended up limping it the rest of my short trip and stayed off til the afternoon when I felt better. I think it goes along with the spidey sense - sometimes its better to wait for another day.

'Tall has it right: follow your "gut" sometimes. I always remember the old diving adage: plan your dive, dive your plan. When things start to fall apart it might be time to regroup.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,482
I don't know if you ski fast or badly but, it's the same thing as a day on the Mt-sometimes we feel "off". Even if no great catastrophe occurs, it probably won't be fun. If you ain't havin' fun, do something else!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
akapero
Clever Custom Title

Oddometer: 10
The last time I had one of those "off" rides, I pushed through it and just kept going. I hadn't had a good ride for a while and really just wanted to clear my head. After blowing a few corners and really stinking it up, I finally decided to throw in the towel and head home. About 2 miles from the house, on a very familar and very twisty road, my bike got really tired and layed down for a rest, at about 30 miles per hour, while I did an amazing Superman impression but, not being able to actually fly, it was short lived. I did stick the landing, if you call sticking the landing sliding down the road face-first on your belly and ending up on the dirt shoulder wondering why you smell like wild onions.

I don't ride anymore when I feel off.
akapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Not weird at all, it happens with anything that requires skill. I had a bad day doing some carpentry over the weekend and will have to spend next weekend "fixing" it.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,225
I can not say its ever happened to me.
Maybe because I have no skill anyway, no place to go but up.

These days, I often feel bad (pain, stiffness) which can shorten a ride, but I never felt off my game, even when sick.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Some days, the focus just isn't there, and I park it. At a track day at Willow Springs, felt real good in the morning sessions. Then after lunch, I suddenly didn't feel comfortable. Sat down on the back of my truck, took a 20 minute nap, suddenly everything sharpened up.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,535
Pretty much anytime I go out and ride something I haven't done in a while, whether it's dirt or twisties, I tend to be rusty and ride like crap. Sometimes it only takes a couple of hours and sometime a couple of days before I get comfortable again.

The only solution to this problem is to ride more!

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 563
Sometimes NOT going is the best decision.

I take inspiration from the story of a British Tornado pilot, squadron commander. Was heading out on a mission in the First Gulf War. Plan was to lead other aircraft and go blow stuff up.

He made 3 major errors before even starting engines and decided that he was so far off his game that the mission was called off.

Took a lot of guts (and supportive higher command) to make that safety call.

Sometimes your gut is absolutely correct and if you push on, you'll be sorry. There are days to not ride (or fly).
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Absolutely yes. What strikes me as odd (but maybe isn't) is that sometimes, when I haven't ridden much recently I go out thinking I'm going to be rusty and plan on trying to be as smooth as possible. Sometimes on those days everything works great. But I don't really think it's magic either.
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
It could be the bike you're riding. Now if you had a 25 yr. old K75 like me...... Seriously, I have days just like your describing......then I have days when it seems I can do anything. Since I ride almost daily, a lot in Phoenix traffic, when I have one of the off days, I just ride a little more cautiously, slower, than I would on a good day; (still don't let any grass grow under my tires though) I used to think it was age, but then I'm only 67 so it couldn't be that.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Yep. If I can't sit on the bike at a stop sign for 30 seconds or so (I don't count off) it's a day for an easy putt.