User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #91
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Murphy’s Law for Motorcycles

Murphy’s Law – Clause 1: It’s a fact of life that a motorcycle cannot fall over without an audience. The odds of a motorcycle falling over are directly proportional to the number of people watching and the rider’s ego. If the motorcycle is new and expensive then the chances of this happening are even greater.
There is a sub-clause to this; the chances of your helmet dropping to the concrete or asphalt is directly linked to how new it is and how much you paid for it.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 2: You’ve just ridden through a thunderstorm. The rain was so heavy that you had to pull over to find somewhere to sit it out. Finally the sun has come out and you and your gear are now dry so you can set off. Five miles down the road it starts to rain again.
There is a sub-clause to this section too; the chances of you riding in the rain is directly related to how accessible your gear is, or if you have remembered to bring it with you in the first place.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 3: If you run out of fuel it doesn’t matter which direction you push your bike, the nearest gas station will always be uphill and in the opposite direction. The odds are increased that all nearby gas stations are closed.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 4: The battery on your bike will die at the exact same time as something else breaks leading you to think for the next two weeks that the two things are somehow connected.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 5: Nothing on this planet is harder to start than a used motorcycle being shown to prospective buyer. This is despite the bike firing up and running like a dream five minutes before the potential purchaser arrived.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 6: You will never have a puncture on the road until you leave the tire repair kit at home in your garage.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 7: The chances of finding a motel or camping spot while out on the road are directly related to how late in the day it is and what the weather is like. If it’s dark and raining you’re going to be riding a long time before you find anything suitable.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 8: You’ve spent weeks in a parking lot practicing how to do a wheelie on your bike. You’ve now got it down to a fine art and know exactly what you are doing. First time you attempt it out on the road you pass the local police officer parked in his cruiser. He also happens to dislike motorcycles.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 9: When your throttle cable snaps it will always happen in the sketchiest part of town. You’ll coast to a halt alongside a group of suspicious looking characters who are at first curious as to what you’re doing on their turf and then would like to charge you for any assistance they offer you.

Murphy’s Law – Clause 10: The one and only part that you really, really need for your motorcycle will be the only item that is on permanent backorder. How long it takes to eventually arrive is also proportional to how badly you want it.

Murphy’s Law is a case of hoping that some of these things will never happen to you but you know deep down that in reality they one day will. It’s not a case of if with Murphy’s Law but more a case of when.

What additions do you have to add to this list?

(From: http://rideapart.com/2013/10/murphys-law-motorcycles/2/ )
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #92
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Murphy’s Law – Clause 6: You will never have a puncture on the road until you leave the tire repair kit at home in your garage.

If both riders on a trip both forget to bring a tube, you are guaranteed to get a flat that requires a tube to fix it. (See, Two Giants Go To Baja...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Murphy’s Law – Clause 10: The one and only part that you really, really need for your motorcycle will be the only item that is on permanent backorder. How long it takes to eventually arrive is also proportional to how badly you want it.

Clause 10 is commonly know as "The BMW Clause."
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #93
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Don't look at your Shaft Drive BMW buddy like he's the idiot for not having a spare Master link.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #94
Motology
immer fahren

Oddometer: 21
I was asked to make a run to WallyWorld to buy 5lbs of bacon for Sunday brunch. Jumped on my bike, rode to Walmart, bought bacon, and walked out. Saw my bike and went: "Huh, where'd my Givi's go?" Realizing that no suburban pseudothug is going to steal my cases I tied the bag full of bacon to myself and rode home. Got back, pulled into the garage and went: "Hah! I found my Givi's!"

Motology screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 03:31 PM Reason: Flagrant Failure to Proof Read
Motology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #95
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motology View Post
I was asked to make a run to WallyWorld to buy 5lbs of bacon for Sunday brunch. Jumped on my bike, rode to Walmart, bought bacon, and walked out. Saw my bike and went: "Huh, where'd my Givi's go?" Realizing that no suburban pseudothug is going to steal my cases I tied the bag full of bacon to myself and rode home. Got back, pulled into the garage and went: "Hah! I found my Givi's!"
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #96
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on after doing an oil change on the SV. I always have to start it, warm up, and check oil level, usually have to add a little more, so anyway I started it and about half the oil in the crankcase wound up on the inside of my pant leg.

This was about 10 years ago and I still think about it and laugh at myself every time I do an oil change now....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #97
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Bluhduh

Riding the BMW means boxes, sweet, spacious Varioboxes. Briefbag? dump it into the left side. Purse? Right side. Plenty of room for other crap, too. Like my security badge, which usually goes in my outside jacket pocket.

Riding the CBR means little tank bag and backpack. And usually leathers. Which do not have a pocket for my badge. Which I have forgotten to remove from my textile jacket anyway. Which doesn't matter, because I've also forgotten to shove my purse in my backpack, and therefore also do not not have my phone, or any money, or my license, or anything else that might be useful. I do have my laptop, though, so technically, I could do work.

I need to find a backpack that fits in the Varios.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:08 AM   #98
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Well done Dazek, I actually think this should be posted to all current and future members as a reminder of what WILL go wrong.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #99
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Track day at Mugello.
I enter the track and after a couple of easy laps I start to hammer the throttle.
No way.
The more I twist, the worst the bike goes.
So I stop, unwear my leathers and call my mechanic (and friend) and ask what to look for.
Start to disassemble parts, when I see the air intake still closed by the plug I use while trailering the bike...

"A donkey! A donkey! My kingdom for a donkey!"
Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #100
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondesmo View Post
About 10 years ago I stopped in Goldendale WA on my '02 K1200RS and not paying attention, filled my bike with diesel. I realize what a stupid move I had made, just as the tank was full. Duh. So I pulled the bike away from the pumps and walked to a near by auto parts store and bought a section of hose. I syphoned as much diesel out of the tank as I possibly could, rolled the bike back to the pump and filled her with 92 octane. I held my breath that I had diluted the diesel enough to start the bike and after a few attemps got her fired. I headed off towards Yakima and everytime I got hard on the gas, it looked like I was doing mesquito control. No damage other then oiling up the mufflers and of course my ego. I still laugh thinking about all the smoke I left as I was passing vehicles.
Just a question. Here in Europe the diameter of the diesel dispenser is larger to prevent it being inserted into a gasoline tank by accident. So it would be impossible to actually put the dispenser into your tank here. Of course, if you have a diesel you need to pay attention but with a gas engine you'd have to shoot the gas from outside, in.

Is this not true in the USA? Are they the same size? I hail from Wisconsin but haven't ever bought diesel in the states or made such a mistake...

My stupid story almost got me killed. I was 14. Riding on my uncles farm, I blasted out into the back field through a gate, single strand electric barbed wire. It was open, my cousin was out spreading manure. I rode for a while and then went ripping back home...toward that open gate, which wasn't open anymore. Cousin had closed it since you don't leave gates open on a dairy farm. I saw it at the last second and tried to "lay er down" but to no avail. I was closelined and ended up with a gash in my neck down to the muscle. It missed my jugular by maybe an inch. I got a shitload of stitches and damaged my hodaka pretty bad but otherwise walked away. My helmet saved my life,nit had a quarter inch divot from a fieldstone in it that was about 2inches diameter at its widest point.

And I learned to pay attention when I ride.

Edited to add: much like dakez's rule number five...my fault!

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 11:38 AM
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #101
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 715
Loosen a backpack strap from around my waist as I am coasting into a gas station from a motorway.

Apply brakes gently to stop at the petrol pump.

Two feet from the petrol pump I get yanked hard backwards from the trailing strap which has become entangled in the rear sprocket, whack off the seat - and, luckily, the bike comes to a full stop just then.

I had to wriggle my shoulders from the bag straps to sit up and dismount.

If that had happened 20seconds earlier above 60mph, I'd probably be dead.

In my defense, I was 17 at the time. . .
Jacl-Kampuchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #102
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,023
ride your bike up the ramp into the pickup truck for a track day

Track day morning ask for help from 3 people at once because your front tire is "locked" in the roll on wheel chock.

When you really just left it in gear

Old 10-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #103
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Or start to unload the bike from the trailer and..... SBRANG!!! ....you realize you forget to place the ramp

Old 10-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #104
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
Just a question. Here in Europe the diameter of the diesel dispenser is larger to prevent it being inserted into a gasoline tank by accident. So it would be impossible to actually put the dispenser into your tank here. Of course, if you have a diesel you need to pay attention but with a gas engine you'd have to shoot the gas from outside, in.

Is this not true in the USA? Are they the same size? I hail from Wisconsin but haven't ever bought diesel in the states or made such a mistake...

It is true here too, but Bikes have full size openings different from cars.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #105
Salzig
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
...but Bikes have full size openings different from cars.
I know, don't ask me how...

Maybe oil companies (wrongly) assume riders are smarter than cagers