Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #106
falcofred
aka Beer Scout

Oddometer: 207
Ok, early 90s, did some routine maintenance on my 91 KDX200. Trans oil, sparkplug, air filter, etc. so I have the air filter out and want to clean the inside of the airbox so I stuff and old cloth diaper in the snorkel to keep dirt out of the carb. I pull the diaper out, install air filter, button up bike.
I try to start the bike, no start, kick and kick, and kick, choke on choke off, kick kick, kick. Finally I have my wife helping me push start the bike, up and down the street, no start! Both sweating profusley, I take it back in the garage and start cussing myself for doing multiple maintenance tasks at the same time. I start disassembling the bike and find a second diaper lodged in the carb
falcofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #107
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 404
Back in 1970 or 1971. Here I was a young Marine on a Harley Sportster. It had been a light mist type of rain all morning. I needed gas and was pulling into a gas station. As a lot of gas stations did back then, the concrete at the pumps were sealed and slick even when dry. There was also a very pretty young woman standing at the door watching me roll in so I decided to blip the throttle on the bike to show her just how cool I was. Blam! WET SEALED CONCRETE! I picked myself and the bike up and looked over to see her reaction. She was howling with laughter so I got on the bike and rode to the next gas station to get my gas. I was a lot more careful pulling in at that station.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #108
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Pull up at a stoplight trying to look cool for the carload of girls in the next lane. Kickstarter has gone up the leg of my bell bottom jeans (it was 1973).
Fall down, girls laugh.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #109
Makr
I make my own rules

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I've done most of the 10 in the article.

First day of riding on my brand spanking new Yamaha FJ600 that I had just bought. It rained on the way home so I was soaked because I didn't have rain gear. Honked the horn as I pulled up the drive to get everyone to come see my nifty new motorbike. As the family all piles out the back door I pull into the garage and put my foot down. My WET foot. On the slick-as-ice concrete floor. The brand new bike and I hit the deck in a flailing mess. Dented the tank on my brand new bike.

Ledaing a group of n00bs on their first dirt ride. Got to a view point and I had them all hold up while I rode a bit up the hill to get a group picture. Where I proceeded to dump the bike trying to turn around. Of course they got pictures of me . . .

Riding through Oregon, stopped to take a picture of my bike in front of a dilapidated barn. Failed to judge how step the side slope was. I could "just" keep the bike upright with my tippy toe, but could not otherwise move. I couldn't push it back to the left. I couldn't get enough purchase to keep the bike upright if I leaned to the right. Sat there for about 5 minutes, straining to keep the bike upright and trying to figure out how to get out of the jam. Right as a Harley rider passes by, my leg finally gives out . . .

Pics saved for later lulz!
Makr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #110
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 965
It was a beautiful day, so I decided to wash the bike with some nice foamy soap. I want to get the rear tire to spin free so that I can clean the inside of that rim spotless and I preceded to do a delicate balancing act by using the bike lift on the bike, (I mean why else did I need those pretty race lift spools on it?) Went to grab the rear passenger grip rail. Soapy hand, 'busa down on its side. I know, I know, I should have gone for a ride instead!
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #111
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
It is true here too, but Bikes have full size openings different from cars.
Hmm. Interesting...I suppose I have never actually stopped to check whether my bike has a larger diameter gas pump opening than my car. Thanks for the info!
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #112
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
It's from back in the day when you could still buy leaded gas, the unleaded gas nozzle was smaller and so was the opening in the tank to prevent leaded gas from going in an unleaded car.

The only big diesel nozzles I have seen were at truck stops.

I think my Harley is the only bike I have that has a small opening for the fuel tank.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #113
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 965
Here's another bright move, and one I don't do anymore. I had a Rocket III (I ended up hating that heavy lug) so I used to sit on the bike to fuel so that I could balance the bike and get as much fuel as possible in the tank. I'm putting the gas spout back on the pump and this pretty woman comes over to ooh and aah and ask me about the bike. I indulge her, and she takes off, so I cooly get off the bike and Good thing an ol' timer with a Goldwing had tought me how to pick bikes up properly.
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #114
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr View Post
Pics saved for later lulz!
Oh noes, you're stalking me here too??
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #115
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
dropping the bike

Had a broken hip and waiting on a surgery date from workmen's comp and wasn't able to get my right leg over the seat on the F800GS. It was a pretty day and I was missing my little 40-50 mile afternoon rides. All I need is some kind of step.
Get the bike out and push a cooler up beside it to use to step up over the seat. The cooler is really a bit too tall and I realize this as I step up over the seat and am off-balance because of the weak leg and never stop. Me and the bike do a slow roll over to the right. Took me several minutes to inch worm my bad leg out from under that mother but finally got out and got it up and back on the side-stand.
Got the cooler up beside it, adjusted my step over and kept the bike upright, fired it up and got my riding fix.
Afterwards I went and got me one of those collapsible stools that fold flat and it fit perfectly in the pannier. That kept me riding till surgery and through re-hab.
gofast1320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #116
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RIDE RIDE RIDE!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #117
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Twice I've forgotten to retighten the axle nut after adjusting my chain.

Jamie

I never even noticed my axle nut was AWOL until I went back to look at the pictures. Oops.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #118
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,209
Back in the late 70's after street riding for 3 years, I decided that I wanted to start amateur roadracing.

Found a '73 Kaw H1 to modify (nice stupid choice, huh? )

So after a winter of some slight mods- pipes, carb jets, tires (anyone remember PZ2 tires?) I was ready to go.

First race weekend- Bryar in N.H (now known as NHMS) with AAMRR.

My dad and girlfriend (now wife) came along as my "pitcrew".

First day I did OK in practice.

Sunday- 2 races- modprod and F3 IIRC. All the bikes are lined up in pit lane before the first race, engines running. Just before we go out to the start line, my engine dies. Dad and GF come over and they begin push-starting the bike. For what seemed like hundreds of feet (more to them then me), no start. They are killing themselves!
Then I look at the controls. I had inadvertently hit the kill switch. Flip the switch and off I go leaving them behind, looking like death.

Oops!
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #119
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
I did the same thing sort go. My bike had a shaky battery. But this time it didn't start and I really needed to go. I had the neighbours push me until after 30 feet I saw the kill switch and gave it a push.. the bike started happily and they asked: what happened? What did you do? I never told them...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #120
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 212
After just had your picture taken, riding through one of those big redwood trees, by some attractive Russian tourists. They hand your camera back, and not wanting to hold up the people waiting, you ride off with the camera in your left hand. Big impressive start, only to slam on the brakes as the bike in front of you is smart enough not to ride like an ass, you can't get to the clutch in time. Bike stalls and falls over. And because it's loaded for 3 weeks travel you need two other guys to help pick it up...

You never had a chance with those Russian girls.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote