Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
What have you done with the sidestand switch? You can't fool a 990 ECU by just disconnecting it or shorting it out. 950 switch may even be different than 990?? You can fool the 990 ECU by taping the sidestand switch magnet piece to the switch. You will have to move it around and find the spot where the circuit is completed.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I had a similar problem with my 06 950 S earlier this year.

I had a Rekluse clutch in mine. I took it apart and found a broken steel plate towards the innermost part of the clutch. once I dealt with that I never had the stalling problem again. I never checked to see if the sidestand switch was the culprit, but caught myself a few times with the sidestand down....
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,634
Thanks all.

OK the 990 is different. This 950 has the wires snipped at the stand and the wires to ECU connected.

Tomorrow I'm going to jump the gear indicator so that neutral stays lit. If that works I may try swapping gear indicator stuff from old engine.

Thanks.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
What have you done with the sidestand switch? You can't fool a 990 ECU by just disconnecting it or shorting it out. 950 switch may even be different than 990?? You can fool the 990 ECU by taping the sidestand switch magnet piece to the switch. You will have to move it around and find the spot where the circuit is completed.
This.

On the 950 it is possible to cut the wires and solder 2 together and you're done. The 990 needs either a magnet or a sidestand kill switch eliminator: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-990-950-...removal-switch
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
DELTATANGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
This.

On the 950 it is possible to cut the wires and solder 2 together and you're done. The 990 needs either a magnet or a sidestand kill switch eliminator: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-990-950-...removal-switch
My motorcycle is a 950.

It has a 990 engine.

It's confusing.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

And a 990 ECU I assume...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #22
DELTATANGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
And a 990 ECU I assume...
No. It has the 950 ECU. I swapped the trigger wheel for the spark and strapped on some carburetors.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

So what did you do with the sidestand switch? When bypassing, many guys remove the 2 pieces from the frame and the stand then tape the magnet (from the stand) to the switch (from the frame) together to complete the circuit and make the ECU think the stand is UP. Or you can get a plug in device from KTM that replaces the switch. I do not think you can just remove the switch and tie the wires together...

For the 990, the neutral and EPC sensor in the engine tells the ECU that the transmission is either in 1st, 2nd or neutral. If in 1st or 2nd, it restricts throttle opening (and possibly ignition) as a traction control measure--anti wheelie. In the neutral position it tells the ECU that the engine can run with the sidestand down. Seems like it would be easy to swap the sensor from the 950 back into the 990 so the sensor and rest of the 950 electrics are compatible.

You probably figured all of this out already....
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #24
DELTATANGO

It's alive it's alive.

I rode it. It runs and shifts. It needs carb work. (block off plugs for four vacuum holes)

I was the sides stand switch. A simple connection of the two wires to the ECU fixed that. Don't know how it ran without that being done previously. Weird.....

It still is a work in progress. I'm waiting on some pipes and then I'm going to rejet it.

And I'm going to get a Blackdog skid plate.

The graphic on the tank looks horrible from the bubbling. I need to take that off ASAP.

But it runs. i love this huge mutherfucker already.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
DELTATANGO

It was the side stand thing.
I don't know how it ran previously but it is fixed now.

Thanks.

Quick question: It had an extra oil hose. It came from the top of oil tank. There wasn't anywhere for it to go.

I looked at the oil system schematic and it appeared to be a vent hose to the valve cover. But there was one on the other side that had a home on the other side.

So I made a T and connected them both to the front valve cover.

Is this OK. Isn't it just a vent?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Should be 2 vents from the front valve cover--plastic L fittings with metal hold down. Both go to the oil tank --separate lines and connections for the 990. Can't remember if the 950 was the same. I don't think tying them together would be a problem.....

Have you accessed the parts diagrams online? I use KTM talk "Buy on line"
Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
The dry sump scavenger pump pulls air as well as oil from the crank case and pumps it with the oil to the tank. The tank vents back to the engine.. Mostly to keep the oil somewhere useful rather than dumping it on the ground when you tip over.

Race car dry sumps vent the tank to atmosphere... So they can get a vacume in the crank case.. Helps power and reduces windage. Not as good for dusty environments, cause its pulling stuff the wrong way through the seals...

Dave
Old 10-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
felixblack1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Alright... installed Oberon clutch slave cylinder and visually inspected clutch plates and re-torqued clutch spring bolts. I'm still having the problem. I started it while on the center stand, shift into 1st, big clunk and the rear is rotating. Adjusted clutch lever so it was further out, pump the clutch a few times start motor again shift into first... stall. I'm assuming it didn't stall the first time as it was cold and idle was up.

I'll bleed the clutch fluid again. This time I'll follow the instructions and use the conventional beled method. Before I reverse bled it. What else? Steel plates warped??
felixblack1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

You might try adjusting the clutch lever so that it is closer to the bar. But I will also bet that you have some more bleeding to do.....

renogeorge screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 05:04 PM
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
felixblack1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
thanks renogeorge. I'll give it another bleed tonight.
I'm going to go mad if I dont ride it soon
felixblack1 is online now   Reply With Quote