Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Shredahead OP
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 153
R1150GS fuel leak help.

Hey Inmates,
So I've got an 01 1150GS that has a fuel leak. Leak seems to be coming from inside the area where the line from the left side injector enters some plastic panel and into the innards of the frame. This is the panel just below the air box. Now, looks to me to be a pretty big job just to get in there. I take it I need to remove the back wheel and break the rear frame to get in there? Certainly more than I'm up for. Anyone have any history of a leak in this area and where and to what that fuel line connects to? I'd take a picture but I'm not with the bike. Instead I'm driving around UT for work wishing I was on the bike out here. Heading home Friday to hopefully get this sorted out with some help from y'all.
Thanks, -ss
Shredahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
lumpy749
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
fuel leak

My 1150GSA developed a fuel leak on the right hand side where one of those hard plastic lines go onto one of the metal lines. They use those crimp on clamps which I`m not a fan of. I just put a small hose clamp on there along side the crimp on one and tightened it up. That stopped the leak and I carry a couple of small hose clamps in my kit in case another lets go.

I can`t quite get my head around which area your describing. I can`t think of a fuel line that would need the sub-frame removed to get at but that does`nt mean there`s not one. Your tank breather runs down behind the side cover and has a joiner half way down but they are routed down the right hand side on mine. Might be worth a look first. Always take the easy/cheap solutions first and work your way up
lumpy749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #3
oldxrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Sounds like your describing where the fuel pressure regulator lies, four lines hook to it and can develop leaks. I'm not a big fan of the hard plastic/fuel hose set up so I relocated my regulator to on top of the air cleaner right behind the fuel tank so it's accessible. Cold morning startups seemed to give me leaks until the bike warmed up at the plastic lines, now it's all rubber FI rated hose and no leaks. You do have to do a frame lift to get to the regulator.
oldxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Here is the diagram for the area you are describing:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...9&rnd=04302013
Hard to say where the leak is until you get into it. Hopefully just the hose or clamp on the left side.
Getting to it does require the rear frame to be lifted up. So obviously make sure the leak is where you think it is and not somewhere else and dribbling down there. But if it is on the left side (facing front) injector hose, I don't know what else might get gas there. I'd start by removing the gas tank and look around.
Lifting the rear frame is a bit of a pain, but not anything the average wrench should run away from. I usually do it to allow me to remove the transmission for lubing the clutch splines. So if you had a mind to lube those splines, now's the time. But if you just want to fix the leak, it isn't all that hard to raise the rear. The short version is that you remove the rear shock (so the rear tire must be off), remove the foot rest plates (leave everything attached to them and hang them in place with wire), remove some bolts where the rear frame meets the front and loosen others.
There are some cables for the brake switch and such that you have to unplug, and a few cable ties to cut free. Remove the injectors and the tubes from the air box to the throttle bodies. Then you slowly raise the rear frame a little at a time while checking for things you forgot to disconnect. I'm sure I forgot a few small things, so go slow and don't force it. I use a couple of tie down straps run from the luggage rack to the handlebars and slowly raise the frame, tightening one strap then the other. The goal is to get it high enough to allow you to remove the air box. It is held in with three small screws. Once it is out you should be able to get to that fuel distributor.
Provided you don't get in a hurry, you should have no problems. There is plenty of help available here.
You should probably have the manual handy for things like the torque values. And the three bolts that hold each footrest plate on should be done in the proper sequence. There are two sizes. A large bolt on each plate that holds the rear frame to the tranny, and two small ones that hold the footrest plate to the tranny. The small ones should be loosened first aand tightened last.
Terry
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
There is no hose or clamp on the left side other than the clip at the injector. If you have fuel leaking from around the airbox on the left and it's not evident on the right, then you have a leaking fuel distributor. I've seen them crack and even be gnawed by rodents. Replacing it means lifting the subframe.

If it comes to replacing it, I would buy a new one. The used ones are nearly all going to be 10~20 years old now.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Terry
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
The fische shows a hose clamp on the left side. But the fische is clearly wrong. As Anton points out, the left side hose is rigid, not the flexible hose the fische shows.

Terry
Old 03-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
Shredahead OP
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 153
Thanks all, Terry, thanks for all of the info. Sounds doable for me with your info and advise to go slow. Anton, yes I'm pretty sure the fuel distributor is leaking. I don't believe the fische is totally correct. It doesn't even show the left side hard fuel line that goes into the distributor. Or I'm just not seeing it.
Thanks again, I'll get it sorted out.
Shredahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 AM   #8
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
The fiche is not an assembly drawing; it is just a part number reference for people who already know about the bikes.

The R1100S was the first MA2.4 Boxer (the 2.4 bikes have the newer distributor ends that bolt to the TBs) and it DOES have a flexible line in the distributor. I suspect they simply recycled that image for all of the 2.4 bikes where it was close enough (i.e. the 1150s).

There are many, many instances like this. Looking at a fiche does not translate into knowledge about a particular model. Likewise, knowledge about one model does not translate into knowledge of another. There are people posting in GSpot that don't have a GS and don't really know much about them, but you won't know that until you try to follow their suggestions. Not a big deal if they have a very similar bike, but when they don't realize that their bike actually isn't all that similar it gets pretty hilarious. Case in point is the R1100S; it differs dramatically from any other 1100.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,552
You do not have to lift the rear subframe to remove/replace the fuel distributor.

You need to undo the three bolts that secure the airbox, and the abs brake line securing piece that holds the abs lines to the gearbox (if your model has it).
Move back and down the airbox as far as possible, and with some wriggling and manoeuvering you can remove the fuel distributor from the R/H side only.
Replacement is just a reversal procedure.

I have done it many times.