Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Techref OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
R1150GS twin spark ECU

Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils HAS firing. but not the primary coil <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

Is this a possible thing?

If it is, anyone knows where can I obtain a used ECU for twin spark models? I tried looking at beemer boneyard and motorworks.co.uk but to no avail. I'm desperately looking for one, I ain't buying it brand new even if there is one.

All replies are appreciated.

Techref screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 02:56 AM Reason: explained wrongly. the secondary coil is fine
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
UtahSooner
awagnon

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techref View Post
Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils has no firing. <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

If it is, anyone knows where can I obtain a used ECU for twin spark models? I tried looking at beemer boneyard and motorworks.co.uk but to no avail. I'm desperately looking for one, I ain't buying it brand new even if there is one.

Are you 100% sure the secondary coils aren't just bad. Much more likely than a swapped ECU ( which rarely fails and needs to be swapped ).
Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
UtahSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Techref OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSooner View Post
Are you 100% sure the secondary coils aren't just bad. Much more likely than a swapped ECU ( which rarely fails and needs to be swapped ).
Thanks for the quick reply.
My backup plan is to at least have one (ECU) available for purchase just in case,
the mechanic was suspecting someone swapped it because when I acquired the bike, the secondary plugs were already disconnected.
We tested for spark this morning and there was no spark coming from the sec coils through the spark plugs.

My question is, is it possible for a single coil ECU to be swapped with a twin spark ECU?
IF that is possible, then I cannot weigh out the fact that it wasn't swapped.

Just to be sure and to play it safe
thanks

Shade
Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 708
Have you checked if there was any voltage at the connector into the stick coil? Stick coils are expensive at $150+ each and many riders ride with defective ones because they are cheap...
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Beemer Boneyard is out of stock right now, but you can request an email to alert you when one arrives:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/13617684428.html
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techref View Post
Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils has no firing. <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

What your mechanic said is not possible. If a single spark Motronic was installed in a dual spark bike, the secondary would fire but the primary coils wouldn't fire. Something else is wrong.

Check the schematics for each and you can see why. http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
cele0001
Instigator

Oddometer: 204
Twin Spark

I have twin spark Rockster which is currently running single spark with no difference whatsoever, so the question is what is wrong with the bike (symptoms)? If your primary spark is firing there is no noticeable difference in the way bike runs or rides at any rpm or load (verified by me and my bike for the past month or so. (I am one of the cheap ones that didn't want to buy the stickcoil(s)).
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
I have twin spark Rockster which is currently running single spark with no difference whatsoever, so the question is what is wrong with the bike (symptoms)? If your primary spark is firing there is no noticeable difference in the way bike runs or rides at any rpm or load (verified by me and my bike for the past month or so. (I am one of the cheap ones that didn't want to buy the stickcoil(s)).
My 1150GSA came with both stickcoils dead. idle was 1100RPM and the engine was kinda sluggish. When I fitted two new stickcoils, idle went to 2100PM (which I educed back to 1100RPM), and motor became smoother and peppier.

To test the condition of stick coils, simply let the engine idle. Remove the electrical connector to the left stickcoil. If idle doesn't change, then the stick coil is dead. Repeat the same test on the other side.
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
cele0001
Instigator

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
My 1150GSA came with both stickcoils dead. idle was 1100RPM and the engine was kinda sluggish. When I fitted two new stickcoils, idle went to 2100PM (which I educed back to 1100RPM), and motor became smoother and peppier.

To test the condition of stick coils, simply let the engine idle. Remove the electrical connector to the left stickcoil. If idle doesn't change, then the stick coil is dead. Repeat the same test on the other side.
You are absolutely correct. If you bike is running only on secondary plugs it will run much worse than usual, but if with good primary spark you disconnect the secondary you will not notice any difference at idle or any rpms.
OP said that his secondaries had no spark
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Let's take this one step at a time.
Do you have a stick coil ?
Remove spark plug cover.
Either there will be a spark plug wire with a connection to a stick coil or
there will be a spark plug wire (that goes to a spark plug ) without a stick coil.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,284
You guys should check the OP's other recent threads. He's having a hell of a time with this bike.
Help! 1150GS swing arm question

Tuning screw missing

He just bought it last month and cosmetically it looked like this--
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Techref OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
What your mechanic said is not possible. If a single spark Motronic was installed in a dual spark bike, the secondary would fire but the primary coils wouldn't fire. Something else is wrong.

Check the schematics for each and you can see why. http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/
YES!!!

Some fu*(^(*^er rewired it to fire the secondary as the primary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post

I rather my both coils are dead .... really

Techref screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:22 AM
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
Techref OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post
Let's take this one step at a time.
Do you have a stick coil ?
Remove spark plug cover.
Either there will be a spark plug wire with a connection to a stick coil or
there will be a spark plug wire (that goes to a spark plug ) without a stick coil.
No secondary coil
They are missing from the bike.
I just ordered them .... *sigh
Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #14
Techref OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarling View Post
Beemer Boneyard is out of stock right now, but you can request an email to alert you when one arrives:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/13617684428.html
Thank you
I managed to get a hold of them and ordered
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
Techref OP
Adventurer

Folks and inmates of 1150GS family,

I'm super demoralized, felt cheated, saddened and no mood to even type further because of the cost of restoring this bike.
Several parts which I very much wanted to cosmetically beautify this bikes had to be put on hold because of several technical issues.
Several rides I could've joined and party down the road had to be rescheduled because of this.

may I know where can I get this SCREW and NUT from as picture?
I don't wish to simply get from any hardware screw shop.
Your advice is of utmost important and crucial to my life now.

Thank you

Techref screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:24 AM