ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
R1150GS twin spark ECU

Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils HAS firing. but not the primary coil <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

Is this a possible thing?

If it is, anyone knows where can I obtain a used ECU for twin spark models? I tried looking at beemer boneyard and motorworks.co.uk but to no avail. I'm desperately looking for one, I ain't buying it brand new even if there is one.

All replies are appreciated.

Techref screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 02:56 AM Reason: explained wrongly. the secondary coil is fine
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
UtahSooner
awagnon
 
UtahSooner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Ogden, Utah
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techref View Post
Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils has no firing. <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

Is this a possible thing?

If it is, anyone knows where can I obtain a used ECU for twin spark models? I tried looking at beemer boneyard and motorworks.co.uk but to no avail. I'm desperately looking for one, I ain't buying it brand new even if there is one.

All replies are appreciated.
Are you 100% sure the secondary coils aren't just bad. Much more likely than a swapped ECU ( which rarely fails and needs to be swapped ).
__________________
Al
Ogden, Utah
'04 1150GS
Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
UtahSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSooner View Post
Are you 100% sure the secondary coils aren't just bad. Much more likely than a swapped ECU ( which rarely fails and needs to be swapped ).
Thanks for the quick reply.
My backup plan is to at least have one (ECU) available for purchase just in case,
the mechanic was suspecting someone swapped it because when I acquired the bike, the secondary plugs were already disconnected.
We tested for spark this morning and there was no spark coming from the sec coils through the spark plugs.

My question is, is it possible for a single coil ECU to be swapped with a twin spark ECU?
IF that is possible, then I cannot weigh out the fact that it wasn't swapped.

Just to be sure and to play it safe
thanks

Shade
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
MassiveLee
It's a small world
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 708
Have you checked if there was any voltage at the connector into the stick coil? Stick coils are expensive at $150+ each and many riders ride with defective ones because they are cheap...
__________________
1982 Honda 500 Ascot FT - Real piece of sh.t -- Gave it away
1986 Honda 750 Nighthawk S -- Stolen
1988 Honda 1000 Hurricane
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bdarling's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 404
Beemer Boneyard is out of stock right now, but you can request an email to alert you when one arrives:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/13617684428.html
__________________
SoCal Dual Sport - http://www.socaldualsport.com
bdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techref View Post
Hi

Anyone knows about this?

Someone apparently replaced mine with a single spark ECU because the secondary coils has no firing. <--- this was explained by the mechanic restoring my bike.

Is this a possible thing?

If it is, anyone knows where can I obtain a used ECU for twin spark models? I tried looking at beemer boneyard and motorworks.co.uk but to no avail. I'm desperately looking for one, I ain't buying it brand new even if there is one.

All replies are appreciated.
What your mechanic said is not possible. If a single spark Motronic was installed in a dual spark bike, the secondary would fire but the primary coils wouldn't fire. Something else is wrong.

Check the schematics for each and you can see why. http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/
__________________
Roger
'04 R1150RT LC-1 @ lambda 0.94
2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
cele0001
Instigator
 
cele0001's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Oddometer: 204
Twin Spark

I have twin spark Rockster which is currently running single spark with no difference whatsoever, so the question is what is wrong with the bike (symptoms)? If your primary spark is firing there is no noticeable difference in the way bike runs or rides at any rpm or load (verified by me and my bike for the past month or so. (I am one of the cheap ones that didn't want to buy the stickcoil(s)).
__________________
I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
WORN INPUT SPLINES CLUTCH HUB SPACER R1150XX
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964425
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
MassiveLee
It's a small world
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Montreal
Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by cele0001 View Post
I have twin spark Rockster which is currently running single spark with no difference whatsoever, so the question is what is wrong with the bike (symptoms)? If your primary spark is firing there is no noticeable difference in the way bike runs or rides at any rpm or load (verified by me and my bike for the past month or so. (I am one of the cheap ones that didn't want to buy the stickcoil(s)).
My 1150GSA came with both stickcoils dead. idle was 1100RPM and the engine was kinda sluggish. When I fitted two new stickcoils, idle went to 2100PM (which I educed back to 1100RPM), and motor became smoother and peppier.

To test the condition of stick coils, simply let the engine idle. Remove the electrical connector to the left stickcoil. If idle doesn't change, then the stick coil is dead. Repeat the same test on the other side.
__________________
1982 Honda 500 Ascot FT - Real piece of sh.t -- Gave it away
1986 Honda 750 Nighthawk S -- Stolen
1988 Honda 1000 Hurricane
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
cele0001
Instigator
 
cele0001's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
My 1150GSA came with both stickcoils dead. idle was 1100RPM and the engine was kinda sluggish. When I fitted two new stickcoils, idle went to 2100PM (which I educed back to 1100RPM), and motor became smoother and peppier.

To test the condition of stick coils, simply let the engine idle. Remove the electrical connector to the left stickcoil. If idle doesn't change, then the stick coil is dead. Repeat the same test on the other side.
You are absolutely correct. If you bike is running only on secondary plugs it will run much worse than usual, but if with good primary spark you disconnect the secondary you will not notice any difference at idle or any rpms.
OP said that his secondaries had no spark
__________________
I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
WORN INPUT SPLINES CLUTCH HUB SPACER R1150XX
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964425
cele0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
GroceryRun
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 64
Let's take this one step at a time.
Do you have a stick coil ?
Remove spark plug cover.
Either there will be a spark plug wire with a connection to a stick coil or
there will be a spark plug wire (that goes to a spark plug ) without a stick coil.
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur
 
DRONE's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma, WA-ish
Oddometer: 3,284
You guys should check the OP's other recent threads. He's having a hell of a time with this bike.
Help! 1150GS swing arm question

Tuning screw missing

He just bought it last month and cosmetically it looked like this--
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
What your mechanic said is not possible. If a single spark Motronic was installed in a dual spark bike, the secondary would fire but the primary coils wouldn't fire. Something else is wrong.

Check the schematics for each and you can see why. http://www.mac-pac.org/tech/electrical-diagrams/
YES!!!

Some fu*(^(*^er rewired it to fire the secondary as the primary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
My 1150GSA came with both stickcoils dead. idle was 1100RPM and the engine was kinda sluggish. When I fitted two new stickcoils, idle went to 2100PM (which I educed back to 1100RPM), and motor became smoother and peppier.

To test the condition of stick coils, simply let the engine idle. Remove the electrical connector to the left stickcoil. If idle doesn't change, then the stick coil is dead. Repeat the same test on the other side.


I rather my both coils are dead .... really

Techref screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:22 AM
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post
Let's take this one step at a time.
Do you have a stick coil ?
Remove spark plug cover.
Either there will be a spark plug wire with a connection to a stick coil or
there will be a spark plug wire (that goes to a spark plug ) without a stick coil.
No secondary coil
They are missing from the bike.
I just ordered them .... *sigh
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #14
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdarling View Post
Beemer Boneyard is out of stock right now, but you can request an email to alert you when one arrives:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/13617684428.html
Thank you
I managed to get a hold of them and ordered
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
Techref OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 85
Folks and inmates of 1150GS family,

I'm super demoralized, felt cheated, saddened and no mood to even type further because of the cost of restoring this bike.
Several parts which I very much wanted to cosmetically beautify this bikes had to be put on hold because of several technical issues.
Several rides I could've joined and party down the road had to be rescheduled because of this.

may I know where can I get this SCREW and NUT from as picture?
I don't wish to simply get from any hardware screw shop.
Your advice is of utmost important and crucial to my life now.

Thank you


Techref screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:24 AM
Techref is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014