Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #16
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
I was planning on buying the AltRider pillion rack and maybe the luggage rack, but I have Varios side cases. Their website now says that the pillion rack is not compatible with Vario side cases. Does anyone know why?
I don't know for sure, but see how the pillion rack extends out to the sides of the most forward mounting points of the silver rack arms? Maybe that extends into where the Varios would be?

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
AMEretired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I have the Altrider racks and the Vario side bags. The Vario bags will not work with either of the Altrider racks. The one exception is that the rear rack will work in the upper position. I will post up photos if it's requested.
AMEretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Fluffy99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I have the AltRider luggage system and Varios.

With AltRider Pillion Rack in place and Rear Luggage rack in what us described as the "upper position" ie mounted with the OEM BMW rack in place, Varios fit just fine, used every day come rain or shine.

If I could work out how to post pics on this forum I would, PM me and I'll happily email if interested.

By the way, the AltRider system just rocks (and despite my also owning (damn 's) over (lesser) designs to include Touratech.

AltRider is premium product based on ingenious design and precision fabrication.
Fluffy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

The way you post a picture is that you have to first put the picture up online somewhere, like web space you own or a sharing thing like smugmug or the various free ones, then when you click the little yellow square button with the mountains in it while composing a post, you paste the url of your image into it.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #20
SenorBoludo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I see from other posts that you have a jesse top box? Did you mount the top box directly to the altrider rack? If not, what hardware did you use?
SenorBoludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #21
GSDiva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
AltRider Pillion Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I don't know for sure, but see how the pillion rack extends out to the sides of the most forward mounting points of the silver rack arms? Maybe that extends into where the Varios would be?

I called the company to ask for an explanation. I was told that the pillion rack is too wide at the forward mounting points, just as you describe. According to the gentleman I spoke with, the rack hits the Vario Cases, preventing proper attachment of the rack to the mounting point. I am hoping that I can find a solution that will work for me. I like to carry my load closer to me, as opposed to the tail end of the bike. I also like the rack because it has many points available for strap attachment. What, if anything, are you using under the rack to cover up the hole that exposes some of the electronics?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
GSDiva
Adventurer

Photos requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMEretired View Post
I have the Altrider racks and the Vario side bags. The Vario bags will not work with either of the Altrider racks. The one exception is that the rear rack will work in the upper position. I will post up photos if it's requested.

Please post your photos. I would really appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #23
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBoludo View Post
I see from other posts that you have a jesse top box? Did you mount the top box directly to the altrider rack? If not, what hardware did you use?
I have not yet mounted a top case to the GSW. So far, when the side bags haven't been enough, I have used Rok straps to hold a dry bag on the rack and that has worked well.

To answer GSDiva's question, I rode around for a while with the pillion rack in place and it didn't cause any problems. IMHO, there is nothing in that "hole" that can be damaged by a little rain. Lately, I went back to having a seat there because my girlfriend likes to ride with me.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
AMEretired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
As requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDiva View Post
Please post your photos. I would really appreciate it.
I have not given this subject the respect it deserves, I apologize for that and will try to rectify same.
The rear piece of the 2 piece Altrider luggage rack will fit in the upper (mounted on the OEM BMW rack), this is already known. This same rear piece will not fit in the low position with the Vario bags as shown here.

I previously said that the pillion portion of the Altrider rack would not fit with the Vario bags. I was wrong. As is shown here it does work. There are a few things to note.
- The pillion rack must be removed, or at least lifted up a fair distance in order to remove or install the Vario bags. Not a big deal but you need to know.
-There is lots of clearance to the bag in the rear but just around .065" in the front. The front of the rack may contact the bag once weight is applied, not sure as i did not try that. if that is a problem i will relieve the rack a bit.
- Actually creates a nice flat surface across the Vario bags for other luggage.
- If you want to use the pillion rack in conjunction with a low rear rack then a different rear rack will be needed (one that clears the rear Vario mounts).

If you fit the BMW rack with the pillion rack, removing the Vario bags is more difficult as you will have to unscrew/remove the BMW rack, then lift the pillion rack before the Varios will come off. Good if you never remove the bags, not so good otherwise. The pillion rack also contacts the BMW rack a little as shown (at least it does on my bike), so relieve that spot a bit.

Hope this helps
Mike

AMEretired screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 03:24 PM
AMEretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #25
GSDiva
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMEretired View Post
I have not given this subject the respect it deserves, I apologize for that and will try to rectify same.
The rear piece of the 2 piece Altrider luggage rack will fit in the upper (mounted on the OEM BMW rack), this is already known. This same rear piece will not fit in the low position with the Vario bags as shown here.

I previously said that the pillion portion of the Altrider rack would not fit with the Vario bags. I was wrong. As is shown here it does work. There are a few things to note.
- The pillion rack must be removed, or at least lifted up a fair distance in order to remove or install the Vario bags. Not a big deal but you need to know.
-There is lots of clearance to the bag in the rear but just around .065" in the front. The front of the rack may contact the bag once weight is applied, not sure as i did not try that. if that is a problem i will relieve the rack a bit.
- Actually creates a nice flat surface across the Vario bags for other luggage.
- If you want to use the pillion rack in conjunction with a low rear rack then a different rear rack will be needed (one that clears the rear Vario mounts).

If you fit the BMW rack with the pillion rack, removing the Vario bags is more difficult as you will have to unscrew/remove the BMW rack, then lift the pillion rack before the Varios will come off. Good if you never remove the bags, not so good otherwise. The pillion rack also contacts the BMW rack a little as shown (at least it does on my bike), so relieve that spot a bit.

Hope this helps
Mike
Thank you. It certainly does help. I don't relish the thought of having to unscrew the rack every time I want to install or remove the cases, but for loading the bike up for a trip, they seem perfect - almost. Your pictures are very clear and close-up which is very helpful. I see you have the Varios so you are obviously dealing with the situation. Again, thank you.