Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
ewanmcconachie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Scots man coming to Texas

Hello.
I am to be flying over to your great country late October for a couple of weeks. While there I am to have four days free and in that time I would love to ride a bike!
I will be staying in Tomball Texas and will have a hire car for transport.

Basically what I would love is to be able to hire a trail bike and to head off exploring. I wont have camping equipment so would need a cheap hotel on each night. I have been looking online but so far have not found where I can organise such a trip.

So, can anyone, please help me with where I can hire such a bike and even suggest a tour company, or a willing person who can show me the way around your huge offroad landscapes.
Also if offroad is not possible then I would like to hire and explore with a road bike.

For your information my riding experience is very varied and my home steed is the fantastic 990 ADV R. Also I can bring my own riding gear.

I look forwards to any suggestions. Cheers,
Ewan.
ewanmcconachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Howdy from Texas.

As far as rentals, check Houston dealers. Seems like Eagle Riders has a rental in Houston. The best riding will be West of Austin,TX and the really great stuff is way out in SW Texas-Big Bend National Park. There usually is a guy renting DS bikes in Study Butte, TX -just outside the west entrance to BBNP.

If you need any more info, PM me. I Have been riding the awesome roads of Texas for over 35 years. It is a big place and I know it pretty well.

Like they say-Texas, it's like a whole other country.

I am a big fan of Scotland, having been there 7-8 times.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Just checked the inter-net and BMW of Houston rents BMW's. Check them out. They have 2 locations. One is closer to a Tomball. Good luck.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanmcconachie View Post
......the way around your huge offroad landscapes.
Also if offroad is not possible then I would like to hire and explore with a road bike.
The offroad landscape is indeed huge, but it's also 99% privately owned with mostly no trespassing.

If you can rent a BMW GS-type bike and then ride from Tomball to Big Bend, there are many motels and some dirt roads you can do a big bike.
Tomball to Big Bend, 573 mi, 9 hours 9 mins
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
ewanmcconachie OP
Adventurer

Hey thanks for the replys guys.
So it sounds like Texas bush is not as open to the public as I thought it might be.
For me to ride to Big Bend, although the journey there can be great, is a long way. Then I would basically have to turn around again.
You mention that there can be some great riding west of Austin. Can I get off the hard stuff there without being chased?
Another option might be to fly west as you both mention Big Bend, but that is adding more cost and wasting valuable riding time.

I am really looking forwards to this trip and look forwards to seeing and meeting some of you on the road!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanmcconachie View Post
Hello.
I am to be flying over to your great country late October for a couple of weeks. While there I am to have four days free and in that time I would love to ride a bike! ...

I look forwards to any suggestions. Cheers,
Ewan.
How late in October and which four days?
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/ and http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903845

garfey screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 08:54 PM
garfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
ewanmcconachie OP
Adventurer

Gafrey..... this is exactly the kind of thing I would love to be involved in but i'm going to be a couple of days too late..... aaarrrghh.

I see though that you will be riding some legal off road an I would love to find some of them interesting roads. Any help would be appreciated. Also are hire companies generally ok with their bikes being taken on trails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,856
I'm next door to Tomball, in Cypress. Gimme a holler, Maybe I can get away for a ride. Or a drink?!?!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Go ahead and jump on Two Wheeled Texans too. www.twtex.com You'll find some more dual sport and backroads riders there. There are plenty of roads near Tomball that the locals would know. More sand and pine trees than here in central Texas. You might even find somebody to lead you around.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 620
Rentals may be the problem. I've never heard of BMW of Houston North and their website does some flakey things like 404s and links sales to Subaru cars. I've heard that Eagle Rider is mostly HD, but you may want to check with them. There is a rental for GS bikes in Austin:
http://www.hillcountrymotorcyclerent...m/rental_bikes

To AustinJake's point, there is little public land to ride on and in the open range areas of west Texas private driveways are often in better condition than the county roads, so the chances of getting lost are real.

If Big Bend seems too far (it's worth the trip) get a map of Texas that shows the National Forests and make a plan to ride those. The forest roads can be entertaining and may be a little closer to Tomball.

One last thought, traffic in the major metro areas is often a contact sport. Riding from Eagle Rider in Southwest Houston to Tomball during rush hour is not for the squeamish.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
One last thought, traffic in the major metro areas is often a contact sport. Riding from Eagle Rider in Southwest Houston to Tomball during rush hour is not for the squeamish.
You said a mouthfull.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
This would be my preference...

http://goo.gl/maps/XkEph

One day out... a couple of days to roam the country... one day back.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
ewanmcconachie OP
Adventurer

Ah Bender, the call of a beer always sounds good to me!As for the ride, it looks like I will have to head to Austin for a DS bike so my first days will be spent west of there most likely. I may then come back to Woodlands and take a HD for a day..... time for the tassles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm next door to Tomball, in Cypress. Gimme a holler, Maybe I can get away for a ride. Or a drink?!?!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
ewanmcconachie OP
Adventurer

Thank you all for your replies so far. It looks like I will be heading west of Austin on a GS then back to Woodlands for a Harley.
I have looked at TWT thanks and NFE the map suggestion looks interesting. I shall take in some of the western end of it for sure as I will have enough time to explore around with overnight stays. Cheers.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Once you get out to Leakey, you need to ride the Three Sisters (aka the Twisted Sisters).
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote