Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #121
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
As a Texican myself, I have seen plenty of hooliganism by all types of riders, including me. I have also ridden in "packs" if you will where the leader decides to rip it up and its like a pack of wolves, adrenaline hits and all of a sudden almost everyone in the group is tearing it up. Ripping and roaring through any town pisses off the LEOs, and scares old ladies and children so we reap what we sew. I am fortunate to live where there are few LEOs or people for that matter. Those fines are ridiculous and will hurt the individual but not stop that type of behavior, when you see video after video whether home made or for sale of people doing "stunts". I do not have a solution for the problem but more government control is not good for anybody. my .02 D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #122
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,397
My hat's off to ya, Moto. You managed to troll successfully for nearly 100 posts. Academic gymnastics are fun and good for the gray matter.

When I was about 14, I got a small camera and went out to take a photo of my dog as she was eating from a metal pie pan. Then I inadvertently took another photo of the mountain range in the distance without advancing the film. When the negatives were processed, the two I mentioned were clear. My father remarked that it looked like I had taken a photo of my dog and another that looked as though a flying saucer was zooming across the mountains. Just for shits and grins, we sent the double exposure pic to a magazine that was all about extraterrestrials, etc. and explained that the dog alone was in one shot and the second was the 'object' over the mountains. They printed it as being positive proof of the existence of extras. If you believe, then it's real. Or, in the alternative, someone, somewhere, can sell refrigerators to the eskimos.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #123
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
[QUOTE=MotoTex;22587638I've taken this to court, with three hearings over the span of several months. They spent a lot of time and money, hired a court reporter, etc, and finally threw in the towel. They couldn't get past arraignment to show the court even had jurisdiction to hear the case.[/QUOTE]

did you ever consider that they were just tired of wasting their time and your money on your foolishness?
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #124
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
"Wheelies save lives"!

Poping a wheelie to get over an obstruction is perfectly acceptable as is standing. Hell, I stand riding on gravel roads a lot.

You're comparing one minor infraction that may get you pulled over to a group who broke multiple laws, multiple times, evidently on camera. There's a slight difference. If you don't understand this you need to read more and type less.
hahaha holy hell brother what are you going on about? I mean I understand that, for some ,comprehension is difficult but your response appears almost as if you quoted me but are referring to someone else's posts. I simply stated that the way to the current law is written here in Florida is idiotic. While I understand that other states may have exclusions in matters of safety, Florida does not. here lofting your front wheel over road debris can get you the same ticket as doing a hundred miles an hour wheelie on the interstate. and yes standing up and/or wheelies can save your ass.

I have no problem with Ticketing the dudes Doing wheelies down i95 in traffic.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 07:18 AM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #125
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
did you ever consider that they were just tired of wasting their time and your money on your foolishness?
Yes, does he not realize that something can not be true unless it verifies all of your present personal beliefs? Sheeesh.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #126
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
hahaha holy hell brother what are you going on about? I mean I understand that, for some ,comprehension is difficult but your response appears almost as if you quoted me but are referring to someone else's posts. I simply stated that the way to the current law is written here in Florida is idiotic. While I understand that other states may have exclusions in matters of safety, Florida does not. here lofting your front wheel over road debris can get you the same ticket as doing a hundred miles an hour wheelie on the interstate. and yes standing up and/or wheelies can save your ass.

OK then.

Did you ever got ticketed for lofting the front wheel over a road debris to save your life? Did you? Did you ever heard of someone else who got?

The "no standing" law is idiotic though.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #127
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
OK then.

Did you ever got ticketed for lofting the front wheel over a road debris to save your life? Did you? Did you ever heard of someone else who got?

thankfully no but a good friend of mine did. he was able to win in court. the judge sided with him as the infraction did not pertain to the spirit of the law. I just wish they would rewrite the law to be less vague

Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #128
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
You can believe whatever you want to, that is the nature of religion, after all. Belief in something which cannot be proven.
Do you sincerely believe what your going on about is in the spirit of the actual intent of the laws, or represents the will of the people?

Despite a wide range of views expressed here, I don't think anybody here actually wants or agrees with what your suggesting.

It sounds like an academic debate of a law student with no real world benefit. Some folks have highlighted flaws in their states traffic code, common sense says fix the flaws, not create more.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #129
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
Quote:

Your post seems to be you talking to yourself. My comprehension is fine. Yours, not so much.
The law is the same in Virginia and I'd assume most every other state too. If it bothers you that much start a grass roots movement to change the law.
But...saying wheelies save lives is just plain ridiculous!
Being aware of your surroundings is mo betta at saving lives. Maybe not tailgating, so you can see the road ahead to maneuver around debris.

Quote:
thankfully no but a good friend of mine did.
I'd like to hear that story. This should be good.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #130
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Your post seems to be you talking to yourself. My comprehension is fine. Yours, not so much.
The law is the same in Virginia and I'd assume most every other state too. If it bothers you that much start a grass roots movement to change the law.
But...saying wheelies save lives is just plain ridiculous!
Being aware of your surroundings is mo betta at saving lives. Maybe not tailgating, so you can see the road ahead to maneuver around debris.

I'd like to hear that story. This should be good.
if you can't think of one scenario we're having the ability to legally do a wheelie can save your ass do we really need to continue having a discussion?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #131
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Agreed, and I think it's largely a case of idiots ruining it for the rest of us.

I do sorta get the idea of taking a pedantic 'dumb' argument to a court too though.

In WA it's illegal to stand. And yet the states' training manual specifically advocates it for safety.

THe law says you must use a permanently attached seat. It DOES NOT say dick about having to be seated on it. The argument I hear most often is 'you can't see your mirrors" but there again that statute says you have to have them, not how they should be aimed.

I stand all the time, I was TOLD to 'sit down' over a PA by a cop once... I will LIKELY be pulled over for it, and I will absolutely fight it in court.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #132
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
Quote:
if you can't think of one scenario we're having the ability to legally do a wheelie can save your ass do we really need to continue having a discussion?
Yes, hoping your front tire over road debris, you didn't see ahead of you or following to closely to avoid debris that was hidden by the vehicle in front of you.

I don't consider that as being a "wheelie" but I'm not a cop watching you do it either.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #133
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Yes, hoping your front tire over road debris, you didn't see ahead of you or following to closely to avoid debris that was hidden by the vehicle in front of you.

I don't consider that as being a "wheelie" but I'm not a cop watching you do it either.
but therein lies my issue with the current law...vagueness. it becomes up to the discretion of the cop rather than being clearly defined by the law.

had a friend riding through the Ocala National Forest right after this law was first passed. came across a small downed tree in the middle of a blind corner and lifted the front wheel to clear it. he got popped by a Ranger for wheeling on the road. luckily when he got to court the judge understood the difference between the spirit of the law and the the ridiculous way that the Ranger chose in to interpret it's verbage . like I said I don't mind an anti weiliang anti standing up law makes some sense. make it specific so that me momentarily standing up to scratch my nuts is not seen the same way as somebody hanging their feet over the handlebars while cat walking down the freeway.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #134
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
It seems to me that the possibility of actually needing to pop a wheel over debris as your only option while being observed by a cop who would use it as an excuse for a wheelie ticket is so infinitesimal it doesn't bear serious consideration. It just doesn't make sense to worry about one in a million odds. ( unless your that one).

Its illegal to stand while riding in Washington, yet I have stood momentarily to scratch, stretch, or adjust in the presence of cops without issue. it isn't a focus of LE here and my overall conduct doesn't call attention to me.

Edit, this isn't in response to ginger beards post, I just type slow.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #135
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
but therein lies my issue with the current law...vagueness. it becomes up to the discretion of the cop rather than being clearly defined by the law.

Yeah but the opposite happens all the time too with a law being applied because of the letter of the law.

In WA right now there are a couple of Marinas in Olympia. State law dictates that "harbors" like Olympia are reserved for navigable vessels.

So they are evicting several houseboats that sit INSIDE the marina Gangway in 2' of water, that have been there for several years without issue.

The law is very specific, and the boats are absolutely in violation of it. It's just that some idiot at the state got a wild hair up his butt and decided to enforce it.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote