ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #1
wantok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Erratic idle on 950 ADV driving me nuts - please assist!!

Hi people, need some help for a problem Ive had for ages & have failed to correct. My bike is a 2004 950ADV, with a CPR Rottweiler filter, open wings mufflers, no emissions gear. It has 175/178 mains, 42 pilot (didn't run well with 45s) & rest is stock, except for titanium needles, 3rd clip. I had all the jets & carbs thoroughly ultra sonic cleaned, installed new floats, float valves, diaphragms & slides. The issue is an ongoing erratic idle which gets worse as the bike gets hotter. The bike sits on 1400 rpm then suddenly drops, returns, drops etc till it stalls, usually at the lights. I live in Darwin Australia which is hot & humid. I had the carbs on standard jetting (prior to rottweiler install) & got it dyno tuned, as it wasn't idling too well & had lots of popping & backfiring on the overrun. I was told it was very lean. I put larger mains & the rottweiler in later. i have the adjustable idle jets & have then about 2.5 turns out. Have fiddles a bit with these but hasn't improved the erratic idle. With the 175/178 mains would it still be too lean, & the mains wouldn't affect the idle anyway would they? Sorry for the essay & thanks for any help. It would be fantastic if I could just get a nice steady reliable idle!! it sounds a bit like a vacuum leak but I don't know where it could be coming from, everything is plugged up. thanks
wantok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #2
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,386
Frustrating problem! I'm sure some more learned inmates will be along shortly... How does the bike run off idle to WOT?
Have you pulled a plug to have a look at color?
I'd be rechecking for any vac' leaks especially the carb diaphragms, vent hoses etc..
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:17 AM   #3
ManuC
950 SM

Oddometer: 35
Fuel pump maybe
ManuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,119
Float Heights can have a profound affect on the overall performance of these carbs. It would be interesting to know where they are now. Set them carefully to 4mm - it's fiddly and fussy work, but it has to be right.

You might be a little fat on the mains for your conditions, and from what I've read, anything past about two turns (?) out on the fuel screws means you're out of the effective adjustment range and should change pilots. I'm not 100% on that part, but...start with float heights and carb sync, go from there.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
IMO those mains are way too big. Also with the TI needles I'd try a 2nd clip from top (if you want to keep these mains). (mains & needles will also affect idle with this carb)

Ofcourse check for vacuum leaks first:)