ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM   #1
Creekside OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
990 bigger tail bag

What kind of nearly or really water tight bag can you get for less than say $80 that you can hard strap to the tail plate thingy but still open on top whiles it mounted. I am thinking 11x11x20 or backpack sized. I use a backpack now but it gets terribly grouse from mud&water&rain and stinks.

Its needs to take abuse. I want to put it on and leave it, and be able to remove stuff without undoing the bottom straps. Something for tubes, air pump/slime, jacket liner, rain suit, spoons, 6pack...

It needs to be survivable & like sitting out in parking lots for a year.

(I'd get hard bags but I like riding/sliding mud & streams and think I'd break my leg. I was going to get side wolfmann bags for my wolf side rack (muffler protectors really), but I'd just rip those up in 2 days of Arkansas for sure on some gravel nap. I got some crappy water proof stuff for getting to/from campsites already I just strap on that wouldn't last one wreck)

TIA - happy holidays out there!
Creekside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,026
I tried to find a weather proof soft pack for the tail and never did. I went with a Givi scooter case for the tail to keep my stuff in that had to stay dry. The racks allowed me to mount soft Wolfman bags or hard pelican cases. Beauty in my eye was dry storage that didn't get in the way in the brush or snag my leg if I fell. Yes, this would tolerate falls and dumping it on the trail.

Just posting up as something to consider...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,721
Sounds like your the perfect custom for a Pelican case. Hit up your local craigslist as these cases are used by photographers, various industrial uses and service industries and you can find them in your price range.

Just bolt it on and forget about it.

DW
Old 12-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 3,026
FWIW, I had a Pelican on the back of mine too! It wasn't easily removable and locking it securely required two padlocks which bounced around. It was very durable and looked better than the Givi scooter case!
Old 12-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
sonoran
you already know

Oddometer: 24,720
Pelican 1450 mounted to the tail rack. Waterproof, crushproof, lockable, inexpensive.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
Pelican 1450 mounted to the tail rack. Waterproof, crushproof, lockable, inexpensive.
This is what I have. I have two TSA approved locks on it. I store all my tools, pump, tubes, spare socks, wet weather gloves in it. It looks good too !!
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,637
I like the KTM Tail Box-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
sonoran
you already know

Oddometer: 24,720
I'm digging your mermite can panniers.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,376
I have used an Eclipse tank bag on the back for years, works for me. I have a CamelBack waterproof backpack cover for water protection. Is narrow, won't break your leg, top loads, rides well. Make a thin plywood plate for it that mounts to the rack, also acts as a rear mud shield. Added straps to the plate to facilitate cargo net use too. You might need more water protection than this setup of mine, but the price is right, I got the bag used.

HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
I have the stock one that came with my Baja, I'm happy with it!
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-waterproof-roll-bag
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
I like the KTM Tail Box-

I've got the HP branded version of that box and the exact same bike too! FYI, I had to get the subframe welded from putting too much weight in the box!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
sideway5
Mudmuppet

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekside View Post
What kind of nearly or really water tight bag can you get for less than say $80 that you can hard strap to the tail plate thingy but still open on top whiles it mounted. I am thinking 11x11x20 or backpack sized. I use a backpack now but it gets terribly grouse from mud&water&rain and stinks.

Its needs to take abuse. I want to put it on and leave it, and be able to remove stuff without undoing the bottom straps. Something for tubes, air pump/slime, jacket liner, rain suit, spoons, 6pack...

It needs to be survivable & like sitting out in parking lots for a year.

(I'd get hard bags but I like riding/sliding mud & streams and think I'd break my leg. I was going to get side wolfmann bags for my wolf side rack (muffler protectors really), but I'd just rip those up in 2 days of Arkansas for sure on some gravel nap. I got some crappy water proof stuff for getting to/from campsites already I just strap on that wouldn't last one wreck)

TIA - happy holidays out there!
Here is a rock solid piece of kit. And it is coming in a 12 litre version soon. Comes with hardware to fix it permanently to your luggage rack.
http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ag-detail.html
sideway5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
WanderBeaver
Wanderer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideway5 View Post
Here is a rock solid piece of kit. And it is coming in a 12 litre version soon. Comes with hardware to fix it permanently to your luggage rack.
http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ag-detail.html
Wow thanks a lot for that link which inevitably led to THIS link (scroll down in link to vid at bottom - impressive stuff this Enduristan, too bad I already bought a full Gobi set as I would rather have had these plus the 6.5L mini packs in your original link): http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...gs-detail.html. Granted, for some reason they look way better on the 990 S in the vid then they do even on an 1190 R in the pics.

It looks like they have incredibly good quality and design features - very very well thought out and probably excellent value. The above soft panniers for instance don't even need racks which usually add a large part of the cost for pannier systems. I look forward to the 12L version of the ones in your link.......then I'll I'll get three. One for topcase and one for each Gobi pannier.

Or since 20% off Tornado bags but I may get them as they go from S to M to L to XL and a S or M on each panniers would be perfect and an L or even XL on pass seat behind me. Better not get too big though and bigger isn't always better. Or get the same sizes/quantities in Tornado2's for new features (good vid here): http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ag-detail.html

WanderBeaver screwed with this post 01-09-2015 at 03:23 PM
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote