ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Steingass OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Moving January.

Hi everyone. First post here so I'm not sure if this is the right section. I'm looking for an area in the southwest region that receives little to no snowfall and is surrounded by secluded free primitive camping. It also needs to have decent riding close by and basic jobs or seasonal work. Right now I like Tucson, Sedona, Prescott, and Albuquerque. Basically I want to migrate up and down the Rockies working summers and winters and exploring during the shoulder seasons. Constructive criticism and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Steingass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Not a bad plan: winter in AZ, and summer in the Rockies.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Steingass OP
n00b

Full time RVers have been doing it for years. I'll just be on a bike. Kicker is I'll need some kind of a job. My monthly fuel bill will be a little lower though
Steingass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Steingass OP
n00b

Nothing?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,270
Sorry, the west in kinda dead these days.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 138
Prescott yes. Tucson is in Mexico, Really.

Riding is closer in Prescott or Payson. Phoenix is great but too big and riding is a 1 hour truck out of town.

I like your idea of summer work to the north in the summer. That was my plan then the wife had other plans and wanted to stay close to the Grand Kids.
NomorBills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
Prescott yes. Tucson is in Mexico, Really.

Riding is closer in Prescott or Payson. Phoenix is great but too big and riding is a 1 hour truck out of town.

I like your idea of summer work to the north in the summer. That was my plan then the wife had other plans and wanted to stay close to the Grand Kids.
You're right about the 1 hour trip out of Phoenix, depending on where you're at in Phoenix.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 296
Very little riding around Sedona on a moto, very very good Mountain Biking. Depending on your skill set there is work, just not lots. Probably could pick up landscape work, though there is a substantial Hispanic population occupying that niche. I keep hearing about good riding around North Central New Mexico, Sante Fe in particular, and it is a short trip up into great riding in Southern Colo. You might consider St George. Not so sure about the moto riding (again, great Mtn Biking), but the weather is pretty good, and it's a sizable city now

My suggestions would be to check out Grand Junction in CO. Awesome Moto and bicycle riding, good work prospects, good access to lots of neat places, and weather like you describe in the winter.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
seabee1
we build, we fight

No riding around Sedona ? What are you smoking?!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 296
Well, I am aware of the quasi legal stuff down on Beaver Head Flat, and the super quaded out and lame stuff at Camp Verde. I know some like it down there, but I dont. The Mountain Biking is superb and endless.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
seabee1
we build, we fight

I don't mean to sound negative, but you shouldn't let the extent of your knowledge be the end all be all of the riding in the area. Caster mountain is great riding that leads to a great amount of riding up on the plateau, and around Jerome is some great riding that would last a long time exploring in the woodshute area.

You just need to get out more!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
Steingass OP
n00b

As far as sedona that's what I've heard too. It's mostly non motorized. Also in a perfect world I'd like some technical stuff too. What's most important is legal squatting for 14 days, or until they find me, and jobs. St George looked good but the camping seemed far away for the commute. Prescott is my number 1 choice right now and it has a va health center so free medical care! I also found some nice single track youtube vids in prescott NF. Only problem is they've become strict on primitive camping because of squatters that leave garbage and fires. Maybe I can be a free scout for them in exchange for hassle free living as long as I keep my camp clean. Haven't thought of grand junction. I visited a custom landcruiser shop there once. Serious eye candy. I know fruita has blown up as a mtb single track mecca. I plan on riding some of the tat weather permiting late December and checking out whatever areas I narrow down. Im a total motorcycle noob but I have a backround in ultralight backpacking and freeride mtb. So far in the past week I got my permit, bought the wrr, and have all my protective gear except whatever upper I choose. Ill be constructing a large tipi tent since the equivalent costs 4 to 8 times as much. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Steingass OP
n00b

Thanks seabee1. Sorry I was writing while you were. What about primitive camping in that area? Seems like they'd be strict since all the tourism. I was a corpsman btw.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,577
All those places get snow in the winter except Tucson.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Steingass OP
n00b

Yup looks like low double digits total per year. Should be fun. Seems to me with 45-50 degree days the roads won't get cold enough to let it accumulate and when it does I'll either have to be careful, call in, or stay with a friend.