User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
worntread OP
Two Wheeled Explorer

Oddometer: 192
SYM Citycom 300i

Well this weekend I will be picking up some parts for my scooter. It's almost to 12,000 KM and even though it might not require it I will be getting a CVT belt and rollers, aswell as tires.

I am planning on doing a major tune-up this winter to learn all the "ins and outs" of the SYM.

The tires i've settled on are....

Metzeler Feelfree

Front

• 110/70 - 16 M/C 52P TL - 1.75 BAR
Rear

• 140/70 - 16 M/C 65P TL - 2.25 BAR

https://www.youtube.com/user/worntread
worntread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Citycom service

I'm a great believer in good rubber. I found out the hard way that less than top line tires can have painful consequences. I was a Metz guy for years, I'm a great fan of the 880, but it's too bad they don't come in scooter size. These day's I have Michelin on my Citycom and I couldn't say if they are actually better, but I do like how they make both my bikes handle.

I thought that 12000 km was a bit of overkill for top quality Mitsubishi CVTbelts, so I looked at what Kymco recommends; and it was 20000km. That seemed reasonable to me so that's what I now go by. my valves are still good at 33000 and so are my rollers.I find that other than clean oil, my bike requires very little service except for an unnatural appetite for front brake pads!!!

Great bike.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
I'm a great believer in good rubber. I found out the hard way that less than top line tires can have painful consequences. I was a Metz guy for years, I'm a great fan of the 880, but it's too bad they don't come in scooter size. These day's I have Michelin on my Citycom and I couldn't say if they are actually better, but I do like how they make both my bikes handle.

I thought that 12000 km was a bit of overkill for top quality Mitsubishi CVTbelts, so I looked at what Kymco recommends; and it was 20000km. That seemed reasonable to me so that's what I now go by. my valves are still good at 33000 and so are my rollers.I find that other than clean oil, my bike requires very little service except for an unnatural appetite for front brake pads!!!

Great bike.
Linked brakes?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
No linked brakes; just a 405 lb bike with a 250 lb rider and a single front disc. We also have very aggressive urban traffic here (no freeways) and when I want to ride for fun, I'm in the mountains.

The bike came with braided lines and with good aftermarket pads, the brakes work great, but I know from my cruiser experience, even a powerful single front disc means short pad life compared to a twin disc setup.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
worntread OP
Two Wheeled Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post

Great bike.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I have heard the belt can go alot longer and the tires on my scooter right now have alot of tread left, but are just cracking really bad on the sides.

Most of this is just a learning and fun wrenching project for me...and and excuse to escape to the garage :)

Loving this scooter and I second the brake pad comment...I guess with no engine braking with gearing the brakes really have a lot more work to do to slow the beast down. Good thing pads are fairly cheap off ebay.

Fund stuff!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
worntread OP
Two Wheeled Explorer

Well, I got the tires, CVT belt and rollers this weekend for my off-season tune-up of the SYM CityCom. Ended up dealing with Motoretta in Toronto.

They were the only ones to respond to me from the list off the SYM Canada site. Not only that, but they responed quickly and were a pleasure to deal with. Great shop!

So now I only need to pick up some odds and ends and i'll be ready to keep myself busy through this winter.