Oddometer: 1,903
Not your everyday moped.

http://www.motoped-choose-your-adventure.com
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Not legally a moped here, as it has a shifting transmission and more than 2hp.

Neat concept for a place with less rules.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
I've read about these before. I like what I see.

klx250sfguy screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 08:49 AM
klx250sfguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,849
I love the idea. A mountain bike with a motor. But it is not legal on the street or trails here. Only place you could ride it would be on private property, an OHV park, and state trust land. The last two require an expensive permit, plus you have to haul it there. Now if it were 49cc automatic.....
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
emmettken OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Idaho Moped Laws

Moped Definition
"Moped" means a limited-speed motor-driven cycle having both motorized and pedal propulsion that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, whether two (2) or three (3) wheels are in contact with the ground during operation. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters and the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.It does, however, meet the definition of a moped because it is under 50cc and is direct drive with a speed of less than 30 mph and there is no requirement for a "seat or saddle" to be a moped. However, neither a motorcycle endorsement nor a helmet would be a requirement regardless of age."
Seems like in Idaho it would be a moped.If you wanted to take one of them off road you would probably need a yearly off-road sticker from the IDPR, costs $12. If you have that sticker on an ATV you can ride it in town here in Emmett, and most secondary roads here in Gem County.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken View Post
Idaho Moped Laws

Moped Definition
"Moped" means a limited-speed motor-driven cycle having both motorized and pedal propulsion that is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground, whether two (2) or three (3) wheels are in contact with the ground during operation. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed fifty (50) cubic centimeters and the moped shall have a power drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.It does, however, meet the definition of a moped because it is under 50cc and is direct drive with a speed of less than 30 mph and there is no requirement for a "seat or saddle" to be a moped. However, neither a motorcycle endorsement nor a helmet would be a requirement regardless of age."
Seems like in Idaho it would be a moped.If you wanted to take one of them off road you would probably need a yearly off-road sticker from the IDPR, costs $12. If you have that sticker on an ATV you can ride it in town here in Emmett, and most secondary roads here in Gem County.
grey area.

there are some 4 stroke "mopeds" sold that are "select shift" basically, you can come to a stop in any gear. so it kinda circumnavigates the rules.....police around here know better.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,571
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Nice, I'll have to get white to match the tenere!
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
It's ridiculously awesome. I love that beefed out adventure version, although it needs a better solution for the air filter.

My biggest question is where are these even legal? As far as I know you wouldn't be able to use one legally anywhere in Canada
Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,849
After rereading the AZ OHV laws, it looks like they would only be legal here on private property. Real factory made dirt bikes can legally be ridden on state trust land and in OHV parks, but they must still have a title, and an off road license plate, which requires a VIN.

If they were 49cc and automatic, with street legal equipment, and a VIN, they would qualify as a moped, and even be street legal. If they were sold as a kit, and were 48cc, they would be considered a motorized bicycle and would be legal anywhere, even without a license and a plate. They could even have gears. You can get kits to motorize a pedal mountain bike, that retain the bikes original gears. Even a 48cc mountain bike would be able to reach speeds around 25 mph, faster than a pedal bike, plus you wouldn't have to pedal.

There is a build thread on one of these in "some assembly required"
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
These are sold as a kit. You have to supply the engine yourself, So 48cc would be an option if that exists.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
After rereading the AZ OHV laws, it looks like they would only be legal here on private property. Real factory made dirt bikes can legally be ridden on state trust land and in OHV parks, but they must still have a title, and an off road license plate, which requires a VIN.

If they were 49cc and automatic, with street legal equipment, and a VIN, they would qualify as a moped, and even be street legal. If they were sold as a kit, and were 48cc, they would be considered a motorized bicycle and would be legal anywhere, even without a license and a plate. They could even have gears. You can get kits to motorize a pedal mountain bike, that retain the bikes original gears. Even a 48cc mountain bike would be able to reach speeds around 25 mph, faster than a pedal bike, plus you wouldn't have to pedal.

There is a build thread on one of these in "some assembly required"
As a cyclist, I can destroy any 49cc 4 stroke and some junk 2 strokes on my bicycle through an intersection and I can hit 25mph pretty quick. I can beat most cars off of a light too. Those bicycle engine kits are slow. I also enjoy exerting some effort and the benefits of exercise.

All that said, I have been watching Motoped since their beginning and want one. Not sure I'd have a purpose for it since it isn't street legal.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #13
LeQuack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I wonder if you could bolt a lifan engine onto one of these without having to mod the frame or maybe an old honda C90/CT90/110 engine give it a bit more pop without necessarily sacrificing reliability

EDIT: After reading thought the sites FAQ looks like it totally possible
If you intend to install your own engine in a MOTOPED® kit, most horizontal E-22 (Honda style) engines up to 155cc will fit the MOTOPED® frame bolt pattern.

LeQuack screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 12:41 AM
LeQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Did anyone tell the Moped Army?
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Did anyone tell the Moped Army?
as a member of a former branch of the mopedarmy, im sure its there.

however, it is not a real moped.