Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
They could release a limited edition LC8 Adventure SE called the 790 Adventure SE ( so what it's a 990). Make it the best of the SE with a functioning Rally Fairing. They could lighten it up to get it below 400lbs., say 390 lbs. Give it a skidplate, larger split tanks with quick release hardware... on everything. Quick release on the plastic, axels, panels. And add the PDS rear adjustable suspension. Lighter/ stronger swingarm. Lighten up some internals.. Stealth out the known issues.

Strengthen subframe...

And make a DECENT seat.

Let KTM use this opportunity to develop a nice lighter, stronger chassis for a possible future sub 800cc bike.

But for now, make this pseudo "790" Adventure Super Rally the ultimate "SHIT" in a twin adventure bike. And nickname it the "Africa Twin Killer".

Would be ideal - but I don't see it happening. All the push seems to be towards bigger larger 'Touring' bikes.... i.e. the Super Tenere, the bigger BMW's... FJR type bikes... they get all the "good" reviews right... sad really. Hence the 1190 right?

I personally think KTM would have the market if they did something as DS said above - but not holding my breath.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom72 View Post
Any company that wants to stay in business builds what the market wants. ...
Fixed
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
They could release a limited edition LC8 Adventure SE called the 790 Adventure SE ( so what it's a 990). Make it the best of the SE with a functioning Rally Fairing. They could lighten it up to get it below 400lbs., say 390 lbs. Give it a skidplate, larger split tanks with quick release hardware... on everything. Quick release on the plastic, axels, panels. And add the PDS rear adjustable suspension. Lighter/ stronger swingarm. Lighten up some internals.. Stealth out the known issues.
Strengthen subframe... And make a DECENT seat. Let KTM use this opportunity to develop a nice lighter, stronger chassis for a possible future sub 800cc bike. But for now, make this pseudo "790" Adventure Super Rally the ultimate "SHIT" in a twin adventure bike. And nickname it the "Africa Twin Killer".
Face it folks- wrt a twin, the SE is about the best/closest thing to the bike several (and it is just several) of you are clamoring for. And we all know how successful (from a sales pov) the SE was.

So if you're serious, stop yer whining, get an SE, and modify to your heart's content. You'll probably wind up spending less than what KTM would charge if they built what you say you want.

Granted, it's more work than telling KTM what they should build , but you'll have the advantage of winding up with a real bike instead of a bunch of paper specifications.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 01:00 PM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Sitting at the Bar in CO at the KTM rally I was talking to a few of the factory guys... After about 8 beers they were saying all sorts of things... They had a small twin ADV made and ready to go but at the last min it was dropped and thrown aside. They said they had several platforms that were the same all scrapped do to market research....

The hot ticket now seems to be the 1200 class touring/ADV until that changes I wouldn't hold my breath
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,217
Here's my paper specs...

No whining here OLD TIMER when you got this:

But yeah, who wouldn't want 70 lbs shaved off?

And Honda's coming out with their new Africa Twin next year to stir up some trouble... didn't you hear... eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Face it folks- wrt a twin, the SE is about the best/closest thing to the bike several (and it is just several) of you are clamoring for. And we all know how successful (from a sales pov) the SE was.

So if you're serious, stop yer whining, get an SE, and modify to your heart's content. You'll probably wind up spending less than what KTM would charge if they built what you say you want.

Granted, it's more work than telling KTM what they should build , but you'll have the advantage of winding up with a real bike instead of a bunch of paper specifications.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Would your source work in Wellshpool? Or know someone who does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
if they wanna keep that engine they will have to. consumption of the 990 always was a bit of a joke compared to similar bikes ...
Like wanting a Muscle Car that gets 22 mpg!
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #23
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Been done,, its called a corvette or camaro. Both can touch thirty MPG on cruise... (Not the hot rod versions obviously but I can LIVE with 400HP and 28 MPG.... :)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I heard the new 990 is going to be a two stroke turbo diesel with 100 mpg and 120 hp, but it will only weigh 300 lbs.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #25
Pete640 OP
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
I heard the new 990 is going to be a two stroke turbo diesel with 100 mpg and 120 hp, but it will only weigh 300 lbs.
Everything else I can believe but adding oil to the diesel??? How daft do you think we all are in here?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #26
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post

poppycock. the above is correct except for the weight. it will be 307 lbs wet. no need to exaggerate.
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
What you are missing is that it's 307 lbs wet for....just the motor
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote