Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
BMWpitt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Selling a Bike to an Argentinian

Hello All,

So my plan is to sell my F800gs in SA when I finish my trip in Ushuaia(Jan 14). I know about the free zone in Punta Arenas and the ability to sell to a Chilean legally/easily. However, I have an Argentinian that is really interested in buying the bike. The bike is from the United States and is PA registered. Do any of you guys have any ideas of how to sell her legally without getting into a legal shitstorm? Can I transfer the title to him easily and then swap money/bike to him between borders? I do not want to import the bike just to sell it.

Thanks!

Ben
BMWpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Ben, there's no way you can sell it legally in Argentina.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Hache_arg
End of the world rider

Oddometer: 283
as Manolito said. Is no way to legaly sell it to an Argentinian guy.
As well as is not technically legal to sell it to another forigner with out all the proper paperwork on the state the bike is registered is follow.

And it's done, anyway.

H
Hache_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Eh? beware the import tax you might owe!

I think, if it works, you can sell between countries maybe where the two country offices are not in the same building. Sales are done in Paraguay but you run past customs at the border into Paraguay to do it. A guy I rode with sold his KLR this way.

Once you enter Argentina look to see how much you will owe if you do not take it out in time. Some countries this is about the value of the bike in the US which doubles the value of that bike in said country.

This is why many people want to buy my bike from me as they value it about twice what I do. Beware you may have to pay that import duty if you ever visit that country again.

Also remember there are two exchange rates in Argentina, "official" and the real value of Argentine's peso. Earlier this year official was about 5 to 1 and true value was over 8 to 1. In Chile they gave me about 9 to 1 so you must insist on payment in US dollars which they should expect.

Make sure the currency is genuine and you might put it into a bank rather than carry it around? Beware anyone who knows you have that much cash!

Enjoy the ride!
o*o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
I thought it was easy to sell a bike to a Che.
Set up a big mirror so they can see themselves on the bike and then you and your friends tell them how cool they look on it.
If that fails, mention that a Gallego is coming to look at it in 15 mins. and they are a better rider and bringing cash.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
LVR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Hee bee gee bee Argentina

Well, to those of us from the outside who are familiar with Argentina, it is a country with many quirks and contradictions

A close friend, bought a bike that was ridden from California and eventually to BA for a fair US price

This was not a "fair" value in Argentina as that is usually twice the US price

He then tried to take the bike out of the country over land into Uruguay with new Illinois plates, a new valid US registration but with the original Argentine entry paperwork from the original seller

It was obvious to the Aduauna that something was screwy with the documentation

And my friend failed to provide a timely bribe

This resulted in the bike being confiscated and parked behind the border crossing now for about 10 years

The "fine" is the value of the bike - twice what he paid

So, it sits

The Argentines are very particular about paperwork

It should also be noted that at the time that this occurred, they did not have computerized customs documentation which they do now

That should be interpreted as it is now much more difficult

Sometimes, it seems that it is more of a matter of being lucky or unlucky

Or fast, slow or cheap with the bribe

You really do not want to challenge the bureaucrats by giving them the feeling that you are trying to pull something over on them

You WILL be dragged into an affair that you cannot get out of

I have an untried, possible solution, but would be hesitant to bring the bike back into Argentina at the close of the transaction

LVR
LVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
LVR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Reposted for other's info

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcomm
Good evening LVR,
I read on of your posts and am hoping you can give a fellow inmate a little knowledge.
What would be the process for buying a USA plated bike overseas? More specifically Latin America. How is the title and registration transferred to the buyer so you do not have issues with border crossings and entering foreign countries? I would like to buy a bike in South America next year ride it more several months and then possibly resell it.
Thank you in advance,
Well, as I implied, it is chancy and I am not sure that all the countries use the same policies

The process is the same for people entering and motos entering a country

They stamp your passport going in and then again on the way out

The same holds true for the bike

They issue an entry document and you have to present it on the way out

So, the big problem is that the seller is legally not able to sell the bike without paying the tax which is usually equal to the price of the bike

This is in lieu of a carnet du passage needed in other parts of the world - research that

It is in essence an insurance policy that you buy certifying that you will not sell the bike while transversing a country

The seller gets away with a bargain and you are left holding the bag and are at risk of being charged with the payment of that tax

If you are lucky you may get away with is

My friend did not

A quick bribe if you run into trouble might work and might make matters worse

I would have 2 $100 bills in my pocket at the border

All of this got a lot worse with computerization of the border crossing documents

In the not so old days, you literally filled out forms with carbon paper between the copies

You had to wait your turn for the one piece of carbon paper

So, now could you do a border crossing say on a ferry, take off the old plates and put your new ones on with the new title from home before you reach the next country?

I think that you could if you were to keep going and not reenter the original country either at all or only after going to a few different countries

Also, the out country border crossings seem a little more lax and at least in the not so old days were less computerized and less savvy

LVR
LVR is offline   Reply With Quote