ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #46
dmac1
Desert SW Luvr

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post

Did this even make the local news? That'd be telling.
YES! I believe it was employees of the Salt Lake Tribune that found the vid on FB and they pulled a copy or something before the dipshits took it down. And now its national news.

I don't know why that matters tho...the friggin rock had stood there for 20 million years until dipshit, dipwad and son of dipshit decided to exercise their might....er....dipshit's lard and knock it over. Granted, the rock was probably not balanced just so the entire time, but it eroded that way.

These lying morons have no clue and should be banned from being able to enter any Utah state or any National Parks. Hows that for part of their punishment?

dmac1 screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 07:27 PM
dmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #47
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,842
Wow, that is really sad. That behavior is completely against everything Boy Scouts teaches. I'm a Webelos den leader with Webelos 2 and 1st Class Scout sons. I'm very disappointed.

Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #48
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,883
Devil's Advocate: Has no one knocked over a rock on the side of the 5MOH trail riding up a hill? Are some rocks in the desert worth more than others? Would you cry the same tears and have the same angst if that one rock fell over in a heavy rain as it would surely would have? Yes, it is a state park but we all ride through and dig ditches in the same kind of places. These people will get the wrath from the same groups that are trying to take away our access to the same places riding our bikes through the desert. A felony? Put it in perspective. Flame away.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #49
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,322
Unfortunately, I found the quality of Boy Scout leaders has really gone down since I Scouted long ago. There are still some very good and dedicated leaders with sound skills, but the training and wilderness ethics in the program haven't kept up with the times. My son was in Cub Scouts a while ago. I was shocked to find how much a suburban/urban experience the program has become. Ernest Thompson Seton is rolling in his grave.

Our society is to blame, also. We're all supposed to live with high railings, signage, and all sorts of things to keep us "safe." I'm amazed anyone goes out of their backyard.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #50
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Not a flame, but risk management is a big part of the outdoors experience. Lots of people have been killed on Everest. Does this mean we should put a fence around it or blast it flat?

When I ride, I don't bring a bulldozer to clear a path. I don't intentionally trash the landscape. These guys did, and I want riders to be in no way associated with them. Stupid's supposed to hurt.

If you're not in-tune enough to get out of they way of a falling rock, stay out of the woods. Same thing for snow avalanches..I. for one am deeply sick of seeing good people getting killed on rescue missions.

If you don't know how to be in the woods, for Christ's sake stay home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Devil's Advocate: Has no one knocked over a rock on the side of the 5MOH trail riding up a hill? Are some rocks in the desert worth more than others? Would you cry the same tears and have the same angst if that one rock fell over in a heavy rain as it would surely would have? Yes, it is a state park but we all ride through and dig ditches in the same kind of places. These people will get the wrath from the same groups that are trying to take away our access to the same places riding our bikes through the desert. A felony? Put it in perspective. Flame away.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:04 PM
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #51
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,963
FC are you trollin? That's a surprising comment. I hardly see the similarly between knock in a rock over on a trail accidently and destroying one of the very things that is unique enough to make that location a state park not to mention the message that sends out by posting it up on the web. Usually there's a big difference in transversing a trail and destroying something that is a state landmark, at least in my book.

Quote:
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #52
FatChance
Road Captain

Knocking a rock over "accidentally" while digging a trench up a steep hill on 5MOH is morally superior? They are both intentional acts and both rocks have been there a long time and make (made?) it a special place. I think that is literally a slippery slope. Let's look in the mirror before casting a stone to be honest with ourselves. Be careful with whom you are aligning against the act of destructively moving a rock in the desert . Those are all special rocks to someone. Just a Devil's Advocate here since there are a lot of riders here cutting a fine line calling for a felony arrest for the same outcome from someone else riding the same place for shits and giggles and posting there own incriminating evidence for all to see. Take a look in this page's own ride report of riding 5MOH to get a perspective and the image of our own actions that cause the same destruction in a cloud of dirt and noise and tire smoke.

FatChance screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 09:37 PM
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #53
Tfogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
When I ride, I stay on established trails, and avoid damaging the surrounding environment(like the cryptobiotic crust in the areas around Moab). You can be certain that I don't go out of my way to destroy unique landmarks. There is a big difference between inadvertently dislodging a rock the size of my fist riding up a steep hill on an established trail, and making a deliberate effort to ruin a unique geological rarity for no other reason than because I can.
www.tfogwheelsports.com
85 XT350,04 WR250,87 VFR700 (75k miles and counting),01 FZ1 (54K miles and RIP )
Tfogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #54
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Knocking a rock over "accidentally" while digging a trench up a steep hill on 5MOH is morally superior? They are both intentional acts and both rocks have been there a long time and make (made?) it a special place. I think that is literally a slippery slope. Let's look in the mirror before casting a stone to be honest with ourselves. Be careful with whom you are aligning against the act of destructively moving a rock in the desert for our own entertainment. They are all special to someone. Again, just a Devil's Advocate here since there are a lot of riders here cutting a fine line calling for a felony arrest for the same outcome. Take a look in this page's own ride report of riding 5MOH to get a perspective and the image of our own actions.

I have to say that I don't see the parallel either.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #55
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,579
The whole safety concern thing is just a cop out cause they got caught.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #56
FatChance
Road Captain

It is human nature to see no parallels when we have our own selfish justifications for doing the same level of damage but with different moral glasses and intentions while out on our own adventures that end up with the same outcome. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Yeah for our team

Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #57
FatChance
Road Captain

Will the next rock you knock over riding 5MOH be special enough to someone else to swear a felony warrant against you for knocking over their sacred rock? This attitude would fit right in with the Sierra Clubbers agenda.

I am just seeing no common sense here to see how we are them but we try to convince ourselves that our actions are somehow morally superior when the same rocks attain the same levels of entropy through our own acts of entertainment.

FatChance screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:12 PM
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #58
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 169
Even worse when folks know they have done bad get caught and suddenly they justify their actions by some lame excuse. We are becoming a society of VICTIMS, its always someone elses fault. You will not find these guys picture anywhere near a definition of leadership.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #59
FatChance
Road Captain

Nor will you see vindication for those who do the same damage blasting a motorcycle up an unstable hill except from their own mutual admiration society. Reality is an elusive bitch.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #60
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

That's a shallow argument. I can kick up a rock weighing several pounds. In the scope of things, it does minor harm, but it still does some harm. I don't rail or roost unless completely necessary. I've never dropped a rock weighing several tons. I run trials tires. You can scream and shout about guns 'n' freedom or whatever you want to do, but busting the landmarks or stealing the antiquities will get you cuffed and stuffed. These guys were complete assholes.

Would you ride through a cemetery knocking over crosses on the bike just because it was in your path? Thought not. The sooner we calculate the line between freedom and responsibility, the better off we'll be.

Quote:
Will the next rock you knock over riding 5MOH be special enough to someone else to swear a felony warrant against you for knocking over their sacred rock? This attitude would fit right in with the Sierra Clubbers agenda.

I am just seeing no common sense here to see how we are them but we try to convince ourselves that our actions are somehow morally superior when the same rocks attain the same levels of entropy through our own acts of entertainment.

Canuman screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:43 PM