ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #61
Outjustout
Spokey Dokey

Oddometer: 129
Gobblin Valley is known for structures such as the one these folks destroyed.

5MoH is a trail and as such it's expected that rocks will get knocked over, ruts will get made and it will be changed by it users.

Trying to justify what they did is like trying to justify throwing nails on a race track because the cars are going so fast someone might get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Will the next rock you knock over riding 5MOH be special enough to someone else to swear a felony warrant against you for knocking over their sacred rock? This attitude would fit right in with the Sierra Clubbers agenda.

I am just seeing no common sense here to see how we are them but we try to convince ourselves that our actions are somehow morally superior when the same rocks attain the same levels of entropy through our own acts of entertainment.
Outjustout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #62
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
I do give the guy a tiny bit of credit though for owning up to it instead of hiding behind a lawyer.

“If you’re a felon, you can’t be a scouter and that would break my heart, but I did the crime,” Taylor told KTSU-TV.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #63
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
That's a shallow argument. I can kick up a rock weighing several pounds. In the scope of things, it does minor harm, but it still does some harm. I don't rail or roost unless completely necessary. I've never dropped a rock weighing several tons. I run trials tires. You can scream and shout about guns 'n' freedom or whatever you want to do, but busting the landmarks or stealing the antiquities will get you cuffed and stuffed. These guys were complete assholes.

Would you ride through a cemetery knocking over crosses on the bike just because it was in your path? Thought not. The sooner we calculate the line between freedom and responsibility, the better off we'll be.
It seems like trying to equate defacing a sand dune with a paddle tire vs removing a cornerstone out of a pyramid
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #64
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,268
Fat Chance, I do get what you are saying. If we take our actions down to basics, we do the same thing, but so does a hiker, who leaves a smaller foot print. They still leave some sort of footprint. This is more of a societal issue. As a society we designated Goblin Valley as a place of geological interest due to the uniqueness of the formations concentrated there. The other areas, like 5MOH do have beautiful rocks, but not considered to be as high a value due to their uniqueness, so society allows different access to those places. Like I had said before, moving a rock a few miles away wouldn't have brought the wrath of God down on this guy. He went against what our current society thinks, which was an act that is unlawful at this time. I would love to ride my dirtbike on trails throughout Rocky Mountain National Park, but as a society, we have put aside that area to be protected more and keep impacts to a minimum, and i can live that. So choosing to ride there would be going against our chosen societies wish, therefore unlawful. It is a balance for sure, but if we opened up every beautiful area to every form of recreation and access to all the dumbasses of the world, we would lose a lot of the beauty.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #65
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,590
No similarity when it comes to what he was doing, we're operating within the law and the constraints imposed by society (at least most of us) he wasn't. Who cares though, it's just a crappy place anyway.

I never advocated a felony charge, I think a couple hundred hours community service would be appropriate, let him clean pit toilets and come out with a formal apology. I would expect no less if I was in his shoes.

How much you wanna bet park attendance goes up?

RideFreak screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 08:38 AM
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #66
SouthernCruizer
Just Ride!!

Oddometer: 50
typical FB users...if brains were dynamite, they wouldnt be able to blow their noses.
2004 Suzuki WeeStrom 650
2007 Kawasaki KLX250S
SouthernCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #67
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
It is human nature to see no parallels when we have our own selfish justifications for doing the same level of damage but with different moral glasses and intentions while out on our own adventures that end up with the same outcome. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Yeah for our team
I may have dislodged a 1 foot long maybe even a 2 foot long rock while riding. I really doubt that I have moved a 2 foot long rock. The difference is that the rock I moved was already sitting on the ground. I have not run into a rock formation and knocked it over, ever. I also did not intentionally destroy something people come there to see.

You can say that I just don't see the parallel, but it isn't there. Its like saying these are the same thing.

I'm driving down the road. My tire picks up a pebble and it hits and cracks the windshield of the car behind me.

A car is driving down the road. I throw a golf ball size rock at the windshield and shatter the windshield.

If I wasn't driving the wind shield wouldn't have gotten cracked.

Surely they have a close parallel.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #68
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,759
I find it ironic that none of the self righteous posters can see or have drawn any parallels to illegally riding closed National Parks during the Federel government shutdown. Didn't see any of you walking the talk that I see here at that point in time.

FWIW, the blatant disregard for "the rules" spills over from one cup to another, IMHO. You can't have it both ways. And the methods are quite similar, these vandals have put forth the persona of "benefactors" who were serving a "higher purpose"........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #69
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
I find it ironic that none of the self righteous posters can see or have drawn any parallels to illegally riding closed National Parks during the Federel government shutdown. Didn't see any of you walking the talk that I see here at that point in time.

FWIW, the blatant disregard for "the rules" spills over from one cup to another, IMHO. You can't have it both ways. And the methods are quite similar, these vandals have put forth the persona of "benefactors" who were serving a "higher purpose"........
I haven't ever ridden, nor would I ever, ride closed National park trails. Who here has. I think the thread was more just about frustration with the Gov.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #70
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
I don't see the comparison ?
not that I rode the closed National Parks but how does that compare to irreparable damage to a state Park ?

riding a trail that has been and will be ridden uncounted times

or destroying a rock formation that no one else will ever get to appreciate

another ? will I be sorry I asked ?
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #71
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,149
I think the thing that rubs most people wrong is the lie...it took fatty a lot to push the rock over.

He did not just walk up to it and touch it, and it for sure did not wiggle, and if it did they should of filmed it as proof.

The statement that some poor kid could of been killed sounded more like what you say jokingly to justify your actions. We all have mad dumb statements after doing something.

Dave Hall is a good speaker, he surely could of did a better job explaining why they wanted to do what they did before they did it on video. I think they did it just for shits & giggles and if you look at all the comments on many news sites the majority of the people seem to say the same thing that he is guilty and the felony fits (every once in a blue moon someone says "it's just a rock". ....after all its laid out in UT's law what they did is a felony *shrug* That is not my law, that is not opinion that is fact. Also criminal trespassing fits because they went on land that is not their own to do harm to that property. I guess we will see what he is charged with...and then what he ends up getting. One thing is for sure at least they all will be out of time and money to defend themselves....although they seem like they have done good in life no one wants to drops $10,000 - $20,000 on lawyer fees....and a lawyer is going to charge a lot if a felony charge is mentioned.

I'm still with Glenn getting the max, Dave just filmed, and Dylan was just a stupid young adult.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #72
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
great, another parallel
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #73
ZEmann
want to be riding

True and He had to leverage his large ( fat ass) body between the Goblin and that other rock to create enough leverage to start the swaying action

I kinda wish the head fell the other way
Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #74
ZEmann
want to be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
great, another parallel
I am going with " parrafail "
Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #75